Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Today Donald flew the Lycoming it is humming did some more fine tuning especially on the lower power settings where she was running to rich. Donald is more relaxed I did give him some serious dry mouth episodes where the engine was running to lean and backfiring , not really confidence building sort of stuff. He was rolling and generally playing around with the controls and I could immediately sense that he forgot the engine and was playing with the handling of the airframe. She is a beautie and we will hear more about this aerie and design in the future. The Lycoming 235 was certified in 1942 so from a mechanical point of view very well tested. The fuel injection and ignition really makes it a modern engine. I'm already playing with the idea of possibly putting it in the Bosvark. A man must keep on dreaming.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 am

In Omaruru had a wonderfull trip along the Kunene missed all the weather in SA. Should be back at the weekend. Going to re program my friends MGL here in Omaruru.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 pm

I flew Oupa`s aeroplane about two weeks ago. Said it `s a bit slow, and I have a prop that will make it much faster. So he borrowed my prop, Phoned me a bit earlier, to report back. Mmmm now it`s 10mph faster....... and oh bugger. He does`nt wanna give it back! P Prop, 72X 64 Clark Y aerofoil. Very effective and VERY smooth. vhpy
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Hey Oupa this thread has slowed down considerably.... is that as a result of using the wrong prop? :twisted:

Sorry could not resist!!

Can you share what the reduction on performance was with the loaned prop? I assume somewhere there is a trade-off? Or was the Beemer under propped? It would be very interesting to see the comparative performance figures.

How about a bit of an update on the bosvark? How has she been behaving herself and how much have you flown her? (Or has she been kept grounded by the heavy winter we had here in the fairest?

Regards

Andy
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am

Oupa has been extremey busy these last few months. His Bosvark is now a kick the tyres and light the fires type aeroplane. Very enjoyable to fly, and as taildraggers go, a real pussycat. I am of opinion that it was indeed a bit "under propellered". The prop he has on it now is a marvellous piece of tecnology. It flew on my aeroplane, fitted to a Rattex 582, and the performance was abselutely mind blowing. I loaded BEEEG guys in my little aerie, and it FLEW, and CLIMBED, no problems. On Oupa`s aeroplane, it turns slightly faster, with some more hosses behind it, so, much improved performance. So for me: Its bye-bye propeller, :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( and for Oupa: vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy

Oupa was in Isreal this last week, and will hopefully be back late tonight. Gone walkabout!! (!!)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:40 am

Just to show it`s still there! The front screen was too thin, and dented in when flying fast, so we had to go from 1.5mm lexan, to the next size up: 2mm. Problem solved. (!!)
Attachments
OTT STOL.jpg
OTT STOL.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 23457 times
OTT Soft landing.jpg
OTT Soft landing.jpg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 23457 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 am

Sorry guys for being so silent. I have now set up one of my old laptops with which I can shrink photos and then post it straight onto the net. Now I can again post more easily .

The first news is the Bosvark OTT is just superb, now has 87hrs on it and all the mods to the flywheel and the clutch mounting plate that was redesigned are excellent and the engine is now vibration free. The tuning has gone well and the lessons learnt on the Lycoming were also applied to the BMW. Donald’s aerie goes straight up full throttle in a stall turn and then comes straight down throttle closed. We adjusted the map to not wash fuel of the wall of the cylinder barrels. These kind of manoeuvres I do not do in the Bosvark however every flight I recorded and can be checked later and every change made can be checked afterwords. She is now running around 750 C through the whole map with 100mph on 16L\hrs.

Before I went to Israel Boet helped me fit a new thicker window and it helps if somebody helps you that has done it before.

While being at the plastics wholesaler I bought thin Nylon sheeting and made a cover over all my electrics The window in the Bushbaby is not that water tight so now any unwanted water can run of the sides and not into the MGL and radios and Transponder.

I have made some nice LED landing lights version three these work well with no radio noise. Will show them in the next post

In Israel I visited the Tel Aviv University with some beautiful art in the gardens I also was treated with a flight in a Cirrus SR22 over the dead sea to MASADA the airport is 1300ft below sea level the lowest on the planet earth. The airspace is small and must be shared by all.

Israel is a very interesting diverse country the time there was to short.

I have lots to tell on the tuning and flying and the results of the new prop will be first analysed from the Black Box data before I
give my opinion. The new prop is different and gives different performance, more news later.

That is all for tonight now the guys at the club cannot moan for not posting. Tomorrow LED story time

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Tel Aviv 1.jpg
Some metal work in the garden
Tel Aviv 1.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Tel Aviv 2.jpg
You cannot go and sit with this gentleman because there is a bronze chess set on the bench next to him
Tel Aviv 2.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Cirrus 1.jpg
Over the dead sea on the glass panel on the left is Jordan
Cirrus 1.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Cirrus 2.jpg
The three musketeers Aaron owner David Linton ex SA and RedX and the Oupa
Cirrus 2.jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Cirrus 3.jpg
The 3 Muskateers with Cirrus and the Masada in the background
Cirrus 3.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Window 1.jpg
Boet in action 1
Window 1.jpg (52.88 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Window 2.jpg
Rain skirt in place
Window 2.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Window 3.jpg
Boet in action 2 skirt in place
Window 3.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

As promised I will now let the test flight data flowing. This evening it was stunning and I could just not resist the temptation for a quick flight.

I had a small problem with the internal clock of the MGL unit, it was quickly sorted out by Rainier. It is very handy that they are in Somerset West.

The Voyager is now functioning perfectly and it follows a heading and then when I tell it to go back to Grootfontein it just does it.

I am showing tonights flight flown entirely on autopilot except for the turn over Morningstar. The autopilot flies a rate one turn.

Also I'm showing the EGT's they run constantly above 700 C and the fuel economy is 16L/hour in cruise depending on the power setting that is about 60% power.

I had great fun making the new landing lights. The LED units are from Philips and they are the 3W units. The lights were tested on the bench for heat output.

In the specs they are rated at 3.5V each, so on the bench at 3.5V they become very hot and definitely need a heat sink. But at 3.1V the stay hand cool with virtually no heat build-up. So 4 units in series can run all day on battery power no heat. When the engine is running the voltage is 14.1V but then the big fan is also turning and the heat sinks do there work. I have flown landed and checked the heat sinks and all is well. I'm also enclosing some foties.

The camera is now in colour and a wonderful asset during taxiing. It just helps to have more vision in a taildragger.

Some big names is SA aviation have had embarrassing moments with taidraggers

All my papers went in for the ATF, a little bird whispered in my ear that they are looking for the file at CAA

Thats all for tonight

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Google flight.jpg
This documentation is just awesome
Google flight.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
EGT.jpg
EGT temps for this flight
EGT.jpg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Landing LED 1.jpg
On the bench
Landing LED 1.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Landing LED 2.jpg
Landing LED 2.jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Landing LED 3.jpg
The heat sinks are just two pieces of aluminium
the led's were mounted with that white past
and held in place guess what cable ties
Landing LED 3.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Landing LED 4.jpg
Landing LED 4.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Landing LED 5.jpg
The little black spot between the lights is the camera
Landing LED 5.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Landing LED 6.jpg
Just look at those sexy legs
Landing LED 6.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
camera 1.jpg
this is the picture of the black dot
camera 1.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 23252 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:10 pm

I am now really enjoying this little aircraft. By tweaking with the flaperons and the tail feathers she is becoming faster. I always remember that my J3Cub was flying at its best when the wing-tip and the horizon were parallel, the Safari is the same. I will get the same settings write them down and then I will fly my old prop again and compare. It is almost as if my prop is smoother. I have a vibration meter to make this more scientific. It is amazing how poorly we remember. Now that she is a press the starter button and fly aeroplane these comparisons are lekker to do.

I will report back on the results.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Here is some good news . The sister ship of ZU-OTT is now ZU-HOG they are both Safari's actually Ser # 142 and 141 and ZU-HOG received its Proving Flight Authorization.

HOG will overtake OTT with the paperwork because ZU-OTT is still struggling with the engineering departement that insists a CAA Test Pilot to accompany me with the test flying for the positive G-load test. The Cape does not have such a person and I spoke to the CAA test pilot in Gauteng and he says I know more about the little aeries then he. My senses are leaving me.

However the Bosvark OTT did 3.2 G's and if you observe the airspeed limitations that are recommended it is almost impossible to overstress this airframe. Hence the safety record of the Kitfox Bushbaby line of aircraft. As far as my knowledge goes no structural failures midair , they do bend when they hit the ground out of control.

ZU-OTT has now done in the excess of 300 landings and the gear is really doing its thing. I have now flown ZU-HOG she is an absolute honey flying dead straight Boet's aeroplanes fly straight because he builds them straight. HOG flies hands off. the Bosvarks are OTT and HOG I wonder why?

HOG has the more powerful 120 horse ENGINE This engine runs away with the same prop as OTT a new prop has been ordered from Pprop were looking at a 72X66. The tuning on this engine is different to the GS1200 but the blackbox and full telemetry helps a lot. With the tuning of the two BMW's and the Lycoming 235 and soon there is a Lycoming O-320 that is going into Donald's aerie. I do not dream ordinary dreams I now dream in numbers.

I'm enclosing some pictures of the identical twin Piglets.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
HOG 1.jpg
The registration is on thanks SEAN
HOG 1.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 23056 times
HOG 2.jpg
The twin piglets HOG and OTT
HOG 2.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 23056 times
HOG 3.jpg
The important piece of paper thanks Boet Sean Anton and the ever efficient Colett v Zyl
HOG 3.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 23056 times
Hog 4.jpg
This is the foto that went on file
Hog 4.jpg (40.34 KiB) Viewed 23056 times
HOG 5.jpg
Only the spats to follow
HOG 5.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 23056 times
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 am

So many truly South African components (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) It makes one proud to know such enterprising people. Best of luck with the two "Pigletts" :lol:
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks Jean
Just back from Lesotho my son Vliegvark was competing in the Roof and Oupa-G and Ystervark were ground-crew what a beautiful country. I went for a rest and came back tired. But a nice sort of tired.

Now for a bath and sleep

Cheers Oupa-G
andlard
Slow starter

Postby andlard » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi, I've been following your thread for a while and from afar! I'm in the UK and have a BMW R1200 I will be putting on an Air Creation trike. You seemed to have moved away from talking about the R1200, how is it performing?
I'm going to use the German TakeOff gearbox.
Can I ask what ECU/Ignition/Injection system did you use? I'm not going to use the BMW CanBus and am looking for an aftermarket ECU to run mine.
At the moment I'm in the early stages although I have spent years gathering information and now have added the actual engine, a 2008 R1200 GS from a bike that had done about 10,000kms. Im about to start the engine mount fabrication, have you any advice? Apart from 'don't do it!'
Best regards and thanks for all the info I've managed to gather from you so far.
Andy
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Eventually I am back on line ZU-OTT has all the papers.I kept quiet because I did not want to answer funny questions. I had my ups and downs with the paperwork, but I must say in the end I persuaded the CAA that I was the right test pilot and it was all observed by the CAA and the 3.5 G was pulled. With all this to and fro I also established that the CAA does not have a employed test pilot that is current and able to fly our little aeries. As I am self insured my insurance company was very specific who can fly the OTT.

I managed to fly on proving flight auths till now and the OTT has now 96 hrs on it . Since I have done the flywheel weights and clutch coupling my engine is as smooth as the PT6 in the PC12 The last 60 hrs have been get in press starter button and go. I spent numerous hrs tuning I never made more then 2% changes at a time it basically was leaning out the map because we started off quite rich. Starting hot cold winter morning 40 C days does not matter she starts everytime. Otto's EboXi's have been brilliant. I am now at a stage where the EGT's run 760 c all the time that is still a nice and conservative temp with no chance of cooking the moter.

All these settings plus flywheel fittings etc were used on ZU-HOG OTT's sister ship which now has 12hrs no problems. Hog however has the 1200S engine 120hp also super smooth. We will have to get a courser pitch prop for her because she wants to run away with the sister prop to OTT Anton the boss of HOG flew Harvards many years ago and I scratched some rust from old habits but he soon clicked and is now quite happy with a 20 kt crosswind All you need to do is fly her all the time and she will respond. I was reading Justin's Raven story all I can say Justin good luck. I will now be able chalk up some more hrs.

When it comes to reporting on things the most important thing is honesty good reporting is also talking about the things that do not go so well. If something vibrates or there are funny harmonics or anything out of the ordinary report somebody may have the answer or can learn from the experience. If a conversion is a dud we should all know. I tried to report everything.

At present I am making a new set of flywheels and clutch adapters because they work . My first batch was used in our local markets , but I'm getting inquiries from overseas builders. I could not really supply them due to lack of stock. I have now made another batch of ten they will then have to be balanced etc etc. Making a batch has some capital outlay. I was phoned by an BMW operator using our system that his aircraft flew this weekend with the full dual system. The owner was very excited it all ran well.

So the story continues I will be glad if there are any questions do it through this page and not a PM because then I can answer it and other people can share.

I will start taking Photo's again and will post them there is alot of new material.

Cheers Oupa-G
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Ja-nee dis 'n jammerte dat die papierwerk so groot boggerop was. Daar is al 20 ander safari's wat vlieg en no 1 is nou eers lugvaardig. Dit is eintlik bitter belaglik. Ek het 'n paar keer net my kop geskud as ek na die redenasies van ons kollegas by die counsel in die big smoke luister. Darrem vlieg jy Oupa. Nou kan jy na al daai fly-inns toe gaan. (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success