CH 701

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

CH 701

Postby Z-MRP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Just received my plans, 7-8524, to scratch build a CH701. I would like to make contact with any members that are currently building or completed a 701/750 .
All the best for 2012 and may it be fair weather and safe flying
Raymond
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: CH 701

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi Z-MRP
I am in the preperation stage to build a kit 750 and a scratch build from plans.
Why are you going the 701 route as the work to build a 701 from scratch is the same as a 750
But the 750 is an improved aircraft faster bigger same take off and landing characteristics
Regards
Big Mac
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Big Mac, I liked the Savanaha but that doesnt come in plans form, my budget wont do a kit+freight+clearing agent+ import duties, but over time can do scratch build. 701 or 750 hmmm you have a point on the amount of work is the same, I wasnt looing at anything bigger or faster and that would need Rotax$$$$$ or bigger power unit, seriously look at the 1300cc 4cyl Suzuki motor, +-100hp with a decent exhaust system on it, as the powerplant, this motor lies flat in the engine bay and get the conversion kit from Raven Redrive, well I have lots of time to explore the motor options.
Suzuki motor also fits in the standard cowling from Zenith.
I am going thru the parts list and there are some parts I think will need to get from Zenith, but if someone has moulds for engine cowlings and wing tips, where to buy what in SA etc I would like to make contact with them.
Also to possibly combine an order with other builders in SA from Zenith , will reduce freight and clearing. Not sure on your import duties in SA,I can then come down to JHB and collect parts and materials.
What I was thinking was to make up the list of parts required and check with you guys in SA, I am based in Zim, what I can get in SA and then finally what I need from Zenith.
At this time I am making the templates for the form blocks for the rear empannage, buying the 19mm plywood this week to make up the form blocks,and the angle iron to make up the Zenith design bending brake, then do a materials list and contact Alcad, and also hopefully get contact details of other companies thats can supply materials, ie rivtes, cleco's, cleco pliers, left and right tin snips that dont have serated cutting edge etc.
Not sure what Bundu has available as yet for zenith builders.
Big Mac

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 am

Hi Z-MRP
The 750 needs at least 100hp so the Zuzuki should do the job
Personally I am looking at going the BMW 1200 GS motorcycle engine route
This engine is being used by OUPA-G in the SAFARIE and has been developed extensively by him
See the first thread at Members Projects
The rest of your queries can be answered by the Zenith Agent for Southern Africa namely Bundu Aviation
Owner Phillip Cronje he can be contacted on cell 083four852427 and email philip@bunduaviation.com
Regards
Big Mac
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks Big Mac will stay in touch with you and give you a call when I know I am comng down to JHB. Phil has already contacted me so we in comms as the factory had already informed him of the fact that I had bought plans for scratch build. Where is the best place to buy AN bolts and nuts, also the rivets, Phil has warned me not to use rivets made in CHINA as they doent pull correctly and have been rejected by the factory, so need to be mega careful on this issue with rivets
Zim Zulu
First solo

Postby Zim Zulu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

great news!! have fun on ya build! cant wait for its maiden flight into Komani!! let us know so we can come have a dop with ya!
"the world belongs to the energetic"
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Zim Zulu, ya going to be quite a project, but hopefully fun. All the wooden form bloks now completed. Got 16 hours in the build log book and havent bent the first piece of ali yet (**) . Making templates for some of the brackets whilst I wait for Alclad stock to arrive. Then do a hit and run trip to Lanseria for some retail therapy at Alclad
(^^)
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 am

At long last I have some materials to start the 701 scratch build, sadly another local manufacturer beat me to the new stock at Alclad and they bought out the entire stock of the thickness ali sheet I needed. Fortunately Alclad managed to make a plan for this and supply the remainder of my order, a very big thank you to the staff at Alclad for there help and time to sort me out with some materials. Have placed my remaining order with Alclad for there next shipment.
So the rudder is now under construction.
Due to a mis communication, sadly I didnt manage to meet up with Phillip of Bunduaviation, hopefully next visit will catch up with him.
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Just a quick update on scratch build progress, at present working on small parts so not much to see but plenty hours completed, so far build time is 160hrs.
To date rudder,stabilzer,elevator (electric trim fitted) now complete as far as possible till final assembly.
The 4 flaperon skeltons are completed just waiting for next shipment of ali to come up to zim from Alclad to skin the flaps.
Started marking out the cardboard templates to cut wing rib blanks.
So far only made a few parts for plane #2 and one part for plane #3, dont take a phone call when you supposed to bend the part to the right, after phone call which I had to take, cant ignore a call from the softness,bent it to the left, not once but twice!!!
All in all the build is making steady progress, will need to make another order from Zenith for some materials not available in SA and some parts that are just not worth trying to make for a once off build project, making jigs for some of these parts will take way to much time.
Anybody else scratch building and needing to make an order from Zenith let me know so we can do a combined order if possible to share freight and clearing cost, cheapest and quickest route I have found to date is to truck the parcel from Zenith to O'Hara and then fly it out on SAA, works out 1/5th the cost of Fedex, transit time 5 days.
Have a great weekend and happy building fellow Zenith members
Tortoise man
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Tortoise man » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Hoe lank skat jy gaan dit vat om die 701 te bou
Groete t man
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi my afrikaans is not that good, I presume you asking how long to build the 701.
I am hoping to get it built in around 1200hrs which will be approx 2 years if I can keep building at the current pace. The biggest challange is managing the delays between ordering materials and actaully receiving the materials, now that I am building and understanding the build more as I go along I am trying to plan about 2 months ahead of time to get materials in so I can continue the build.
My first consignment of ali is almost finished, next consignment is ready for collection now in JNB , should arrive in zim in the next 2 weeks hopefully,so in about a months time I will place an order to Zenith for materials to build the wings and fusalage.
Hope this gives you an idea on build time and expected management of delay time for materials.
(^^)
701driver
Heard about flying

Postby 701driver » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 am

Big Mac wrote:Hi Z-MRP
This engine is being used by OUPA-G in the SAFARIE and has been developed extensively by him
The rest of your queries can be answered by the Zenith Agent for Southern Africa namely Bundu Aviation
Owner Phillip Cronje he can be contacted on cell 083four852427 and email philip@bunduaviation.com
Regards
Big Mac
hi there guys, just noted that you thought about using a bmw on your 701...not a good match.mine started out with that powerless plant, seriously it wouldnt pull a sailor off your sister...100 to 200 fpm on a hot day. was rapidly replaced with a 582 and c box = 680 to 700 fpm easy peasy.it's a bit thirsty but thats the price of fun - happy to live with it. your milage may vary. fly safe. colly (in nz)
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi Z-MRP, with regard to using the BMW engine......please do yourself the favour of contacting Oupa-G on this forum. He has extensive experience with the BMW engine in aircraft. He will NEVER give you the wrong advice, in fact his advice is based on personal experience in his OWN BMW powered aircraft.
Take this bit of advice from me, .......contact the man,.....Oupa-G, that is vhpy
Best regards
Jean Crous.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:53 am

701 Driver, WHAT BMW engine did you use? I recently flew Oupa G`s Safari, and it definately is no slouch. With the right propellor combo, your 701 wil climb like a fart out of a bath!
Contact me. vhpy
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am

701driver wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hi Z-MRP
Regards
Big Mac
hi there guys, just noted that you thought about using a bmw on your 701...not a good match.mine started out with that powerless plant, seriously it wouldnt pull a sailor off your sister...100 to 200 fpm on a hot day. was rapidly replaced with a 582 and c box = 680 to 700 fpm easy peasy.it's a bit thirsty but thats the price of fun - happy to live with it. your milage may vary. fly safe. colly (in nz)
I have no idea what BMW are you refering to but my BMW R1200 out perform the Rotax 912S let alone a 582!
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"