Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Bullseye
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Re: Scratch build a Trike

Postby Bullseye » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

ystervark7 wrote:Bullseye

Ek dink die trike is die ding vir jou. Dit work gebou om rowwe terein te kan vat. (Dit is gebaseer op 'n DTA as jy al een gesien het)

Met die wiele is die plan om ses duim rims op te sit, waarskynlik met vliegtuig wiele (selfde as 'n Cessna dink ek) Dit is aan die swaar kant maar daarmee sal jy enige plek kan land.

Die engine sal werk.

As jy naby die Kaap is moet jy 'n draai kom maak en ons sal jou kan wys wat die plan is. Ek stuur vir jou 'n private mail met my kontak details. Daar is ook 'n moontlikheid dat ek binnekort 'n draai in Gauteng gaan maak as jy daar rond is.

ystervark
Dankie gaan jou email as ek jou email ontvang
The Sky is not my limit, it is my playground!!!
Bullseye
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Bullseye » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:15 am

Oupa-G wrote:Bullseye
Die engine wat uit die Bushbaby kom is dit die ou tipe engine wat ons na verwys as die airhead. Stuur 'n foto

Cheers Oupa-G
Ja oupa

Dis die ou tipe, maar loop soos n droom, het tot feul-mixer op elke silinder, die carb is mos afgehaal en n brandstof inspuiting is op gesit.Die manne wat die ombouing vir my gedoen het destyds se hys so 84 Hp. Hy het ook Racing silinders in.

bullseye
The Sky is not my limit, it is my playground!!!
ystervark7
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby ystervark7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 pm

I have done some planning and design the past couple of weeks. Below is my latest 'creation'. If you guess that his is a new gun that you can use in a computer game, you are in agreement with my son. (He just wants to know if he can try it out.) If you guessed that it is a 'new' actuator design for a trike wing you are correct. I have not seen something like this so I think that it is unique. (I will probably find out that somebody has tried this 30 years ago)
Launcher.jpg
Most actuators that I have seen look something like the one in picture 2. There are 2 problems with this design: 1) it is asymmetrical 2) you need very articulate joints because the wing rotate in the mounting block relative to the pylon. It can also be difficult to mount because it can interferes with the sail.

With this new design the mounting block does not slide any more but can still rotate. (In fact I am using 2 fixed blocks in this design. I have a different design if I can find a shorter actuator.) The hang point is changed by swiveling the hang plates around the top bolt. The wing can still rotate inside the hang blocks and because the actuator is in the center, it is symmetrical. I will use the 2 bottom holes on the block as stops.

My only concern at this point is that you might need more torque with this design because of the lever that you create. I suspect that with the older design a lot of your torque was wasted due to the friction between the block and the aluminium pipe. I hope that I gain enough because I do not have friction to compensate for the higher torque needed. Also note that the design is safe against breakage of the actuator itself, if it does fail it should be hanging down more or less in the middle.
TradActuator.jpg
Traditional actuator
ystervark7

Postby ystervark7 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:35 am

After a long break I have started building again - no excuses, maybe just needed some psychological preparation. Most of the frame is now cut and welded. Still trying to get a build number from CAA.
fork2frame.jpg
The first photo shows the fork tacked together and mounted on part of the frame.
xFirewallspaced.jpg
This is the part of the frame where everything comes together, the jointing point between the pylon and the engine and the frame. I think that it is a bit of an over design but at least it would not break. All parts are spaced exactly for welding to ensure that it does not warp.

I have not seen the completely welded fork and frame because it is still at Gerrie's place. Gerrie is an excellent welder and welds all our critical stuff, fortunate for us to have him around. In the photo below he is busy welding the frame.
IMG_7875small.jpg
IMG_7875small.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Hopefully I can post a pick of the welded frame after the weekend.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm

This is a very interesting building project. The engineering and calculations are just superb. It will most probably be the best calculated trike in the trike fraternity. I'm very fortunate to host this build project in my workshop or should I rather say our workshop. Ystervark is at it full blast. I love the buzz.

Cheers Oupa-G
freetoadventure

Postby freetoadventure » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Looking Good Otto!
ystervark7

Postby ystervark7 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:34 pm

The frame is now partly welded and the seat frames are tacked. The total weight is 16 kg which is slightly less than what I budgeted for in my calculations. One or 2 smaller brackets such as the pod mountings and bottom pylon bracket are still missing which will push it close to the 20kg I originally estimated.
Frame.jpg
The next step will be the back suspension. I am lso busy with the rims which will be custom made from solid aluminium.
Last edited by ystervark7 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ystervark7

Postby ystervark7 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 pm

I borrowed some seats from another trike to make sure that everything more or less fits. The back seat will be a bit more upright and the front seat must lean a bit more to the back. In the final installation I might use a simple "webbing seat" such as used in the Spirit II for example. The back seat is not used that often and you only need the rigidity if you are flying the trike. This will save some weight and cost.
FrameAndSeats1.jpg
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Really looking Yster !!1!!1
Autogyro - Calidus ZU- ???
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
freetoadventure

Postby freetoadventure » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey Otto,

Any new pics? Are you planning to take this trike to Namibia?

Mark
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:18 pm

He eats sleeps building the Trike but things sometimes takes longer then planned.

Cheers Oupa-G
ystervark7

Postby ystervark7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 am

Hi Mark

I would like to take the trike to Namibia but I do not think that it will be ready and even if it is ready I cannot see how I will get all the paperwork done.

At last I got my build number, jipeeee!
I also had a fruitful discussion with Braam and I think that I now understand the process a bit better and hopefully it will speed up things in future.

The trike is coming on. I am spending a lot of time on it during the holiday and if everything goes well it should be standing by the end of next week. My oleo shocks are on their way which is the last part that I am short for the frame and suspension. I already have most of the materials and odds and end for the rest of the trike. The largest unknown at this point is the fuel tank. I must still get the material for it which is 5251 aluminium but I am having trouble getting it. I might therefore have to settle for some other grade.

Sorry no photos this time.
ystervark7

Postby ystervark7 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Making progress. Here is a 3D render of the frame and all its parts.
naming3.jpg
Lately most of the work is on the lathe. While I have done a lot of work on a wooden lathe when I was young, I have not done much work on a metal lathe so it takes a bit more time.
lathe1.jpg
Here I am busy with the bottom part of the suspension strut that connects to the axle.

axle1.jpg
I finished my back axles yesterday and Jan tacked them together. This is the critical part of the back suspension because every thing joins at the axle and all angles must be correct.

I also got my oleo's yesterday. They were made by Oleg in Ukraine, more or less to order. They are just beautiful !! I will hopefully take a photo of the frame with the suspension tomorrow.
ystervark7

Postby ystervark7 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:31 am

The frame is now standing by itself and it does not collapse if I sit in it!
Most of the frame is still only tacked together. The final welding will only be done by a certified welder when I have all the parts fitted.
IMG_frame2.jpg
I will start with the pylon next. The basic structure of the pylon will stay as in the original drawings but my calculations show that I will have to strengthen the pylon a bit at some of the higher stress points.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Ystervark is moving I see on the last foto the oleo's are fitted. Go Ystervark go. Mabe she will be finished for the Namibia trip.

Cheers Oupa-G