Gates Belt drives.

Use this topic if you are in the market for something
RSS
Signed up at flight school

Gates Belt drives.

Postby RSS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 am

Hi all, I am in need of a Gates belt or alternate proven quality belt for Challenger reduction drive. Is there a local supplier, any suggestions, or only from Quad City USA.
Any advise will be appreciated. Look forward to you response.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Gates Belt drives.

Postby falconp1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:42 am

Hi RSS.

Yes there are local suppliers. Just Google and take your sample. I sourced one more than ten years ago so can't remember were it was. They cut to size from a long tube. Will try and remember but don't hold your breath. puff

When you Google just put in National Conveyor products. They have a wide range. Tel no 011 824 4506
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
RSS

Postby RSS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks Falconp1

I will see what they come up with, I can get from Quad City, they don`t have stock at the moment and also, as you know the exchange rate is not in our favor. Hence the reason for trying local.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Absolutely. Let us know if you come right. I'll also be in the market for one in the next year.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Edit. Double transmission.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
RSS

Postby RSS » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:00 am

Hi falconp1
I have contacted Bearing Man, they have a belt ex stock, it is a Gates Powergrip GT3 9608MGT50 which in all respects is correct and appears to be the same as what is fitted to my Challenger, with the exception that mine is a Gates Powergrip GT2 9608MGT50. Bearing Man are investigating the difference between GT2 and GT3, just need to confirm the tooth profile is the same. If it is Bearing Man have off the shelf. Not sure where you are located, I am in Durban and have seen the belt over the counter. Will post once I have heard from Bearing Man. BTW I confirmed with Quad City that the Gates belt that I have is the correct one widely used in the States.
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Just dont mention aviation to Bearing man. They will not supply if they know its for a aircraft. ##
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:12 am

Hi RSS.

Thanks for the feedback. That part number is so dam close it makes my eyes water. ##
It would be interesting to hear what the difference between the two is.

Also be interested to see what the price difference is. I'm sure it will be a huge saving. Post a pic of your Challie.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
quickcut
Heard about flying

Postby quickcut » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 am

Gt 3 is supposed to carry 30% more load than the GT2. http://www.gates.com/products/industria ... -gt3-belts. Hers a link for those who wan't to read it.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks for the link Quickcut.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
RSS

Postby RSS » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info Quickcut. I am happy with the specs so am going to proceed and purchase the GT3. To Falconp1 I will post pictures of my challenger once it is ready and up at the airfield. It is work in progress at the moment. Nose wheel repairs, some fabric repairs on the belly, motor needs to be looked at, well needs new seals gaskets etc, as it has been standing a long time, thus a new belt required etc.etc.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm

RSS just shout if you need any info. I have done my fair share of running repairs on challengers. Where are you situated. I'm in Alberton. There are three Challengers based at Klipriver airfield.

Regards
Freddie
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
RSS

Postby RSS » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi falconp1, well i purchased the belt today, will only fit it hopefully december after the engine has been checked and all seals and bearings replaced. Bearing man have several in stock. I paid R1100.00 all in. Thanks for the offer re repairs, if i get stuck with something i will give you a call. I am based in Durban, unfortunately not many Challies in this nick of the woods. Have no idea why not, they do seem quite popular up your way.