Fun events for a Fly In?

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
swiftprop
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Fun events for a Fly In?

Postby swiftprop » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:41 pm

In discussing Fly Inns with a few fellow aviators we got around to talking about what one can do to liven up a Fly in, in terms of having some competitive events with small prizes. One thought is flour bombing maybe some precision landing. Bearing in mind we are looking for something that can be shared by both Trikes as well as small fixed wing aircraft such as Cubby's, Cheetas, and Joras.
What ideas do you have other than mounting machine guns to aircraft and doing some live ammo target practice. Maybe some ideas can be used in future events? Any constructive ideas will be much appreciated
Thanks vhpy
Last edited by swiftprop on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:23 am

What about re-enacting the days of the ww1 and ww2 aces........ with paintball guns used to "straff" ground targets for scores and team rankings........ tally ho! :lol:
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:37 am

I was more thinking in the line of dogfighting!!

Remember laser-games!!

You wear a suit with patches connected to a gun, and when shot, your own gun was dead for like 10 seconds. Just think of the fun when you create something similar for planes. There would have be rules though. Only 2 at a time I would suggest. can you think of the chaos when there is 20 trikes in air in a battle for suppremicy.

Then we could start haing our own aces as well. Who would come out as "The Red Baron"??
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:29 pm

wargames......... i wouldnt be too keen on the "dogfighting"....... guys will loose their situational awareness of the surrounding airspace very quickly, the airforce has a term for it called 'target fascination'...... pilot is so focussed in ducking and diving or chasing his target around its a receipe for mid air collusions........ (even the toilet roll cut can push a pilot to exceed the limits eg VNE, minimum safe altitudes, perpheral vision etc)

thats why i would rather recommend a ground run, one a/c at a time, on a stationary target (s)..... pilot flies focussed, pax knocks the targets off.

just my 1$ worth...
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hangar 8
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:02 pm

I agree, but it would have been fun. It is rather difficult to VNE on a trike though.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Ranger
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Ranger » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi wargames

Go into a spiral dive and just see how quickly you reach vne. Your idea sounds interesting though. Myself and Gadget were working on a strategic war game for microlights involving capturing airfields. I'll work on the idea again. When i see you at the airfield again i'll run it by you.
I sometimes get confused............But i'm not sure
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:12 pm

Ranger wrote:Your idea sounds interesting though. Myself and Gadget were working on a strategic war game for microlights involving capturing airfields. I'll work on the idea again. When i see you at the airfield again I'll run it by you.
You got me thinking now. This is a thread that can get very interesting on its own. The thing about such games, is that there will have to be a ref of some sort and then award point for combat flying skills like to get a bloke in your sight and take a photo of him or something like that. It will be really fun and games.

Like to hear your Idea. PM me when you guys go and fly again. I would like to join. Not that the weather will give us a change any time soon.

First some of this: s072 and then more of s072 , then a bit of s068 and s067 , then s065 and lastly, he who ever s117 WINS
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:43 pm

Wargames wrote:I was more thinking in the line of dogfighting!!

Remember laser-games!!
Called Laser Quest
You wear a suit with patches connected to a gun, and when shot, your own gun was dead for like 10 seconds. Just think of the fun when you create something similar for planes. There would have be rules though. Only 2 at a time I would suggest. can you think of the chaos when there is 20 trikes in air in a battle for suppremicy.

Then we could start haing our own aces as well. Who would come out as "The Red Baron"??
For interest sake......I used to own all the Laser Quest sites in Gauteng. Hillfox Centre, Randburg Waterfront and Kollonade Centre. I still have 2 complete sets of refurbished equipment in crates. Ready to open another centre when the opportunity presents itself.

You could always use the lasergun to shoot at ground targets on a low fly-by vhpy
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Duck Rogers wrote:[. Ready to open another centre when the opportunity presents itself.

You could always use the lasergun to shoot at ground targets on a low fly-by vhpy
Duck, are they set to "stun" or "kill" mode :?: Do you have any light sabres available :?:
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hangar 8
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:35 pm

Stun, kill, maim, decapitate, roast, fry..........all the same to me s068
Sorry Stan, no such settings on my laserguns.
Don't have any light sabres available. Built 40 of them a coupla years back for the "Starwars" extravaganza at Sun City. Can "cook" one up for you if you want :?:
Attachments
New Image1.JPG
New Image1.JPG (54.15 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
New Image3.JPG
New Image3.JPG (46.87 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
New Image5.JPG
New Image5.JPG (67.71 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
swiftprop
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby swiftprop » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi all
Thanks for coming up with some really good ideas! Anyone with more ideas?
Weg
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Weg » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Flying Poker is a fun event. Fly to different airfields, pick up a card at each then back to base where the cards are played out. Each participant (pilot and/or pax) puts in x amount to play and this goes into the jackpot for the winner of the poker.
swiftprop
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby swiftprop » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm

This is a great idea. Mosselbay Aero Club held one in December that was attended by 18 aircraft. 1st leg to Swellendam then off to Worcester then Pearly Beach and finally back to Mosselbay. Great fun!
Old, Fat and Hairy
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Fun events for a Fly In?

Postby Old, Fat and Hairy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:58 pm

Mark a 20m target with concentric rings and a 1m bull in the middle. Fly overhead at a minimum altitude of 1000' AGL and drop a streamer (length of crepe paper weighted with a welding rod used for wind drift calcs by skydivers). Use three streamers and a cumulative scoring system to make it interesting (ie, pilot can correct after the first and second drop). Person with lowest score wins, counting the bull as zero and increasing in 2m increments of 1 point each until anything outside the target scores 15 points. Use position of welding rod as impact point for scoring purposes. Three passes shouldn't take more than five minutes then clear participant off target and next person in from holding area a mile or three away. Pilots launch at five minute intervals and fly to holding area to await their turn to be cleared on target.

Use teddy bears under a small drogue for authenticity if you like. Crepe causes no harm going through a prop but a drogue may raise a light sweat on the part of the crew. Crepe streamer to be rolled around welding rod and then launched with a foot or so unrolled to create enough drag to unroll the rest. Throw away from aircraft with some force to clear a pusher prop. Bears and drogues can get a little more tricky in this department.
REDROMAN
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Re: Fun events for a Fly In?

Postby REDROMAN » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:42 am

Demon - Is there someone that you think will do the toilet roll thing at our Aliwal Fly-Inn.I know a lot of you guys are going to Numbi.Hope there is a few trikes this year - we wanted a lekker trike gathering this year.
Aliwal North
Aquilla ZU-BZC