Africa Cup 2013

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: Africa Cup 2013

Postby John.com » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Two interesting views of the weather at this time . . . .

HD Colour Satellite Photo: http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imag ... orders.jpg

Animated Satellite Photos: http://www.weatherphotos.co.za/photos/infrared.mp4

Here is the latest satellite image at 06h15 on 20th September:
Weatherphotos.co.za - South Africa - 2013.09.20 06h15 SAST.jpg
Please take care if you decide to fly! (-)
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:30 am

I took off at 5:45 and turned back after 5 min (**)

I took off again after 6 got close to Warmbaths and decided to turn back again (**) the rotors coming from the mountains was just to strong for :cry:

So plan B - waiting for kids to finish school and then drive to Numbi :?
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
AWACS
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby AWACS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 pm

So gents,
We landed at Numbi around 08:50

The most fantastic wx ever - as calm as can be with a tailwind all the way.

Safe and sound in the bar at Numbi 8)
Raptor 582
ZU-Sling 2
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:19 pm

20 or so planes at Numbi including my Aquila. A Great flight, with no wind on the ground at Middelburg. Total flight time 3 hrs 10 minutes. All safe and sound and in the bar, then out for lunch, then relax around the pool. (^^) Then ?
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Lassie
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Lassie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:44 pm

O tog, my hart is swart! Erg jaloers :mrgreen: Just no way to fly in safely tomorrow with lap&pale, low cloud at Numbi predicted and toe in Standerton. Manne drink 'n dop op my. Hopefully next year!
Robbie Shaw
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Robbie Shaw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:03 pm

mulderpm wrote:20 or so planes at Numbi including my Aquila. A Great flight, with no wind on the ground at Middelburg. Total flight time 3 hrs 10 minutes. All safe and sound and in the bar, then out for lunch, then relax around the pool. (^^) Then ?
Paul have fun my friend have a cold one for us poor mortals back home.. : :lol: :x ##
Robbie Shaw. (Rhodie)
Zero seven 2 5 six zero 2 six two seven
ZU-BJU. (Love Machine)
Airmanship No 1
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:05 am

mulderpm wrote:20 or so planes at Numbi including my Aquila. A Great flight, with no wind on the ground at Middelburg. Total flight time 3 hrs 10 minutes. All safe and sound and in the bar, then out for lunch, then relax around the pool. (^^) Then ?
Well done Crusty! (^^) Glad to hear you guys all arrived safely and that the weather gave you all a gap. Its F#$@king K@k in PTA this morning! Cloudy and windy. Have a blast boys and please take some notes and pics for the Newsletter! vhpy
Tribal Croc wrote:I took off at 5:45 and turned back after 5 min (**)

I took off again after 6 got close to Warmbaths and decided to turn back again (**) the rotors coming from the mountains was just to strong for :cry:

So plan B - waiting for kids to finish school and then drive to Numbi :?
A decision to turn back is almost always the right one TC. Good on you mate. (^^) The beer tastes the same whether you fly or drive! (!!) Have fun Crokkie.

Regards to you all...very jealous! ^

Cheers.
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Would have liked to be there. :(
Enjoy and plse let us have some plenty pics on the forum and results of the competition.
(^^)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:24 pm

WOW :!: ,julle het gemis ## ....sal later fotos plaas (!!)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 am

Safe trip home boys! (^^) Weather is great in Gauteng this morning from what I can see. (!!)
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 pm

I saw a great time being had by the many who attended. Some flew in, some trailered in, some just drove in. Some stayed home. People exercised their choices..... (**)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Fanie, Louis and myself flew togetherish. Louis with me all the way back....thanks guys. 10 knt headwind all the way, any altitude, so the flight time was 4 hrs 15 min with old faithfulls (AMH) bar pulled most of the way. Used 100 Ltrs of fuel on the home leg... ## ...Air was very calm at any altitude except for Louis' last leg down Pinedeen where he reported serious rock and roll. At his home strip he nearly landed up in John's bush :lol: The wx during the competition was K@K, intermittent rain 12 knt SE and solid cloud 2000 ft AGL. But perfectly flyable...so who cares if you can't find the bog roll that U dropped to cut or it got wet and dropped out the sky faster than U could or when you have landed you need a hot cup of coffee. (^^)

To all the organisers, a million thanks, everybody could only win and enjoy themselves. And Bundy, you recon I was the school clown, now I got the TIT award. Don't worry, all the guys wanted to touch and play with it. It's mine...F@ck offffff.

For those who decided not to attend....U missed out BIG time.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Nkwazi wrote:*****BREAKING NEWS*****

This event is the oldest fly in microlighting event in South Africa and is now 25 years old! (^^) The Misasa Exco has decided to sponsor the Prizegiving dinner for all members at this auspicious occasion. Please ensure that you have proof of membership with you in order to claim the deduction from your accomodation on your hotel bill on departure. Please get hold of John Boucher to confirm membership if you dont have proof of membership.

We hope you all have a very safe and enjoyable Africa Cup 2013, it seems like there will be many stories to be told. We encourage you to send any of these stories together with photo's to Alan Mackenzie.

Fly safe everyone!!
Hotel Numbi reception staff new nothing about this deduction?
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Louis Cole
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm

What a weekend! Was really nice to see the faces behind the posts on the forum and meet up with friends, old and new. It started with absolute perfect flying conditions on Friday morning and despite a blown fuse overhead Middelburg that left me without radio, GPS or instruments for the rest of the trip, it just could not get any better and I touched down after 3 hours 30 mins. vhpy. The competition on Saturday took place in very windy conditions and tested some of our take-off and landing skills and the judges (read Rosie McFee :twisted: ) kept on inventing new disciplines ostensibly to separate the contestants but I think the beers tasted better next to the runway than in the pub. (^^) .The prize giving dinner was hilarious and some of the costumes were brilliant. The Master of ceremonies aka Franfenfurter had us all in stitches as he controlled the audience like an experienced puppeteer. The big winners were Skin, Paul Coetser and the Mulders (Paul & Dionne) (^^) (^^) in the competition and I was unfairly awarded the Bermuda Triangle Award for getting lost on short finals :shock:despite the fact that I so eloquently convinced everyone at the initiation barrel roll of what exactly happened. The trip back today was equally perfect and we crossed the escarpment at 10500' without any trace of wind. Paul and I decided to be the sweepers just to make sure nobody was left behind and met the rest of the gang at Middelburg. As I crossed the R50 someone switched on the tumbledrier and the rest of the trip was very unpleasant. After telling Lanseria ATC that I didn't have time for small talk and had to concentrate on flying and landing my trike, I had my worst ever attempted landing as I got blown violently off the threshold 10'off the deck and had to do a go around after which I had my worst ever successful landing after a five hour leg (**) (**) (**) but all's well that ends well and I was very relieved to call Lanseria to report safely on the ground. (-) Thanks to all involved for a fantastic event and weekend which is undoubtedly one of the bucketlist microlight events .See you there next year.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
25 52.869' S 027 54.940' E
(http://www.opencockpit.co.za)
"Reach for your dreams"
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:33 am

mulderpm wrote:
Nkwazi wrote:*****BREAKING NEWS*****

This event is the oldest fly in microlighting event in South Africa and is now 25 years old! (^^) The Misasa Exco has decided to sponsor the Prizegiving dinner for all members at this auspicious occasion. Please ensure that you have proof of membership with you in order to claim the deduction from your accomodation on your hotel bill on departure. Please get hold of John Boucher to confirm membership if you dont have proof of membership.

We hope you all have a very safe and enjoyable Africa Cup 2013, it seems like there will be many stories to be told. We encourage you to send any of these stories together with photo's to Alan Mackenzie.

Fly safe everyone!!
Hotel Numbi reception staff new nothing about this deduction?
Sorry guys, I asked Willem to make this deduction on checkout. I'm surprised that this didn't happen. I'm going to ask Willem to send me a list of the attendees and I'll do a refund to each and every member from my side.
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer