Microland to Barberton Flyaway July 19 - 21

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Microland to Barberton Flyaway July 19 - 21

Postby mulderpm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 am

At Thursday evenings briefing the weather forecast for the weekend was stable with 15 to 20 knt tail winds in both directions from 12 000 ft right down to the ground. Low cloud was also predicted for the morning for the whole route. The refuel stretch legs landing on the way down was a small private strip (Fred’s place) just outside Carolina and on the way back, Arnot Power Station.

Come Friday morning and the weather forecast was spot on. The mist cleared at Microland at about 8H45 and at Carolina it was breaking up at 9H15. So, we started getting airborne at 9H15 with a 10 knt North Wester pushing us along. Outside JHB TMA, looking for smoother air, we climbed to 9500ft, QNH 1013, with a temp of -2 deg C.

An hour and three quarter later, landing at Carolina in the 15 knt wind was tricky but all landed safely after some had to go around. Trikes wings down into the wind we warmed up, refuelled and waited for the ladies and kids in the ground support vehicle to arrive. My hot flask of coffee was a winner, thanks D. My trike started being pushed forward like a sailing boat by the wind. Chocks/rocks were required and all was sorted.

Again climbed out to 9500 ft but by now even at that altitude it was very bumpy. So, climbed to the next West to East VFR flight level, 11500 ft (-4 deg) and it was smooth. An hour and three quarters later we crossed over the Barberton rim and descended into the crater. Took 15 minutes to get down to 2700 ft. We all landed safely with a 3 knt wind, and 23 deg C, what a pleasure. Unpack and headed into Barberton for lunch, fuel and supplies. Later, Stef and myself went for a late afternoon tour of the crater, die ander ouens was nie lus nie. Very very beautiful place.

Saturday morning we all headed to Sabie, Gods Windaw and then on to Numbi for breakfast. Winds on top of the escarpment was 15 knts gusting 25. So, we stayed away from the escarpment, but even at 3 miles from the edge we were still bliksimmed. Again the decent down to Numbi took for ever and we all landed in a 3 knt wind. Breakfast was great. Unfortunately the ground crew took very long to get there and we were ready to leave when they arrived. I also took the opportunity to firm up my booking and choice of room for Africa Cup. From Numbi we flew low level back down all along the Kruger Park’s Western boarder (railway line) to Kaapmuiden and then via Lows Creek valley to Pyramid. Saw lots, even Rhino, and some vultures circling in a thermal, scary.
Saturday afternoon we all headed back down Lows Creek valley to Kaapmuiden and then all along the Kruger Park’s Southern border (Crocodile River) all low level. Saw lots again, some reported seeing Lion, we didn’t. We returned just before sun set and started supper and of course the bon fire and k@k praat stories that go with it (I don’t want to get in, I want to get out..slobber slobber).

Sunday morning was beautiful. The valley had some broken cloud in it with the sun’s rays steaming through the gaps...beautiful. Arnot, our stop over on the way back was misted in and the mist was expected to lift by 9H30. So, we packed up slowly and all started taking off at 7H30. Again a 15 knt South Easterly (110 deg) tail wind was predicted. Climbing out of the valley to 8500 ft, QNH 1013, at near full power took a good 10 minutes. Luckily the air was smooth at 8500 which meant it was not necessary to climb to 10500 ft which is another 4 deg colder. At 8500 it was +2 deg all the way to Arnot Power Station which took an hour and a half. Same story at Arnot, but here weren’t any rocks to chock the trike. My gloves and plastic packets in my panniers had to do. The ground support arrived half an hour later and we refuelled and all took off again for the last leg. Again climbing to 8500 where it was smooth until we got to the JHB TMA and had to drop to 7500 ft, QNH 1032. We were reminded that 8500 at 1013 is actually 9200 ft true GPS altitude. Warmer but stamp deluxe. We all landed safely an hour and a half later on 09 at Microland. The wind was still 15 knts. The ground crew arrived as I parked my trike in the hangar and I was second to land.

What an awesome weekend. Again it just shows what these aeries of ours can do. And to the pilots, some of them fresh out of training, all of you were courageous star pilots. To Mervyn Rynolds, what a leader, example, and friend. “Come on you guys, lets go and have FUN” , “you will see...the weather is stable...a bit windy but stable..you will see”, inspirational quadraad. To the ground crew, Dionne, Monique and their two beautiful kids, we would not have been able to do it without you. And Stef, for being my wing man and supplying his bakkie as ground vehicle. What a cool guy. To Brian, for his hospitality and support, thanks a million. You place is stunning and it is so nice to have your trike parked right next to your chalet. You actually land in front of your door. Magic stuff. And the weather this time of the year in the valley is stunning. 5 – 25 every day and little to no wind. Very different to up here. To all the pilots, what a bunch of lekker guys. As arnold would say, "We'll be back."

The pictures are under the "Hangar Talk", "Microland" thread.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Lassie
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Lassie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks guys for a great weekend of magical flying in interesting conditions.

I flew in from Standerton Friday morning and hooked up with the Microland crowd at Carolina, even had to wait for them as their trikes is not IMC equiped like mine :lol: Had a great weekend, even did not had to cook for myself, Thanks Ladies! Flight back on Sunday morning very nearly had to use my special IMC equipment with Ermelo, my refeuling point, nearly closed. But a feul flow meter and a tailwind made the decision to push through to Standerton to land in clear skies with a lekker crossie and very cold fingers that could not get my helmet undone. (**)

Thanks Mervyn you and the Microland crowd are lekka laid back ouens that is a plesure to fly with. vhpy
Every one welcome for a renosterkoffie if you pass my way. Strip situated on the Northern bank of Grootdraai Dam near the damwall. S 26 53 029 E 29 19 029

Dawid Redelinghuys
ME 109
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby ME 109 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm

A superbly written report Paul (^^) Just missed out on this one by 4 days...., my thoughts were with all of you on this trip. Plenty of experience to be gained during this flyaway, I want this, I want this! Great pictures too! See u all on Saturday.
Andries Kruger
ZU-CSZ Aquilla 582 (Bumble bee)
Hykia
Slow starter

Postby Hykia » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Nice report Paul. I can confirm that it was magical. It was my first trip but definitely not the last. I want to echo the appreciation to Mervyn for arranging the trip and also to Stef and his family for the ground support.

Excellent Pilots!! Looking forward to the next trip.

Regards
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks to all. Next big fly away is Africa Cup. 25th anniversary....come on guys....it will be awsome vhpy ## (**)

I am booked and confirmed. See you there. puff
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria