Asterix's 40th Birthday Fly-inn: Beginsel,Standerton

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Asterix's 40th Birthday Fly-inn: Beginsel,Standerton

Postby Asterix » Tue May 14, 2013 12:32 pm

BEGINSEL: S 26deg 47' 14" E 029 deg 12' 53" 5260 ft.

I've tried a little map below:

1. RWY is approx 09/27 - 800 metres compact dirt.
2. Windsock just East of strip.
3. Alternative 1200 metre cropsprayer strip just South East of RWY - but it is ROUGH! Don't use except if you have a terrible x wind;
4. Red lines indicate Eskom powerlines.
5. Radiomast next to the house - NOW LOW FLYING OVER THE BUILTUP AREA! Except 09 Approach (see 6);
6. Preferable approach is 27 - from the East towards the West. If you have to approach from the West, try and approach a bit north of the house, and correct your approach once clear of the buildings. If you have to approach over the buildings, keep it higher than normal and land a bit deeper.
7. Circuits to the North of the RWY over the fields;
8. Beware the cement plant of to the East next to the canal - some high silo's there.
9. About 500 metres East of the Canal runs a High Voltage set of powerlines from South to North - beware.

Thats about it. RWY condition is very good - my dad had it rolled after the recent rains - hard dirt, and smooth.

It is winter on the Highveld then, and sometimes during the morning a thick fog will roll in from the south thanks the Vaalriver and Grootdraaidam. If this happens, alternate to Secunda, which is only 18 miles to the North. They tend to have clearer skies there! :wink: Once it lifts - short hop! I'll be @ Beginsel in any event on Thursday afternoon and plan to meet the Friday arrivals in the air ## - (and obviously all of us will meet the Sat. arrivals - in the air!) - so no fear - I'll keep you posted on conditions.

Ons gaan lekker rondvlieg! vhpy
Attachments
BEGINSEL2.JPG
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Raaait! Flight test done, AP done and waiting for RAASA paperwork. All in preparation for da big event!
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Bugwar wrote:Raaait! Flight test done, AP done and waiting for RAASA paperwork. All in preparation for da big event!
(^^) Sien uit chom! Het laasjaar met Tailwheels to Nylstroom laas in jou uitgelese geselskap gevlieg! vhpy
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Ek dink ons moet weer die Nylstroom ding doen die jaar. Maar eers jou paartie.....
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Tue May 28, 2013 6:44 pm

I'll also be flying in - NOT ## trailering in from Polokwane! Thursday afternoon I'll do the 80 miles to Blue Max's place, and then airborne first light Friday morning for the remaining 120 miles - so looks like me and TC and Bundy and Bugwar will have some time to talk nonsense on 123.45 as we converge on Beginsel on Friday morning! vhpy

(The Witchy Woman has seen enough trailering to last her a lifetime. Barring recovery - "touch wood" - she will not see her trailer soon again. Except maybe during month long visits to Beginsel during December. But even that is debatable...) :wink:
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:50 am

Ek sien rerig uit hierna chom....my first cross country in a while! :roll: Really holding thumbs for some good weather for us all. vhpy

Bugwar and I will be flying formation on Fri...at least he knows where we are going :lol:

James do you have any alt runways between Leeupan and the farm in case of fog? ^
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Bundy wrote:Ek sien rerig uit hierna chom....my first cross country in a while! :roll: Really holding thumbs for some good weather for us all. vhpy

Bugwar and I will be flying formation on Fri...at least he knows where we are going :lol:

James do you have any alt runways between Leeupan and the farm in case of fog? ^
No - except to do a steep turn to your east and go Secunda. But - don't be too concerned - if you have fog rolling in you can see it from a million miles away and start planning. Around Leeupan - eish - PLENTY of spots - including official "grondpaaie". Most of these are without telephone poles and wires these days - stolen by the cadres loooong ago - but the surfaces are great - as the enemy of "the people" - the farmers - need to maintain them to move product and input supplies around. Just do your normal checks i.t.o. precautionary landings to establish absence of wires, condition of surface etc etc before you land. Some spots around Leeupan that offers landing spots better than 03 ML! :lol: I've landed all over the place there and waited out fog - no probs - just check WIRES - and do your normal routine! :wink:

Also - this is strange year - big imbedded high pressure over the highveld for weeks now. My dad tells me that the number of clear mornings this winter is exceeding the misty mornings by FAR. They have had one or two fogged in mornings this winter. Looks like it will be clear - hopefully this current coldfront moving in is nice and strong and leaves next weekend clear! ( I hope so - for my 200 miles! :wink: )

Can't wait guys! This is gonna be very memorable for me! vhpy
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Bundy wrote:Ek sien rerig uit hierna chom....my first cross country in a while! :roll: Really holding thumbs for some good weather for us all. vhpy

Will finally get to fly with you Bundy :mrgreen:

When will you be flying in,myself and Gav will either fly in Fri arvie or Sat morning ##

Going to be awesome (!!)

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri May 31, 2013 5:08 am

BW and I will be flying in on Friday morning....the big "race" to Beginsel... :lol:

TC in the discoball from Sibaka....Asterix in the Witchy woman from Blue max....Me trying to keep up with Paul's Raptor....who will get there first??? :twisted: Real nice mix of Samoosa's! vhpy

Call in sick and come join us Chaingang! :twisted:
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri May 31, 2013 11:54 am

I am seriously thinking about doing that Bundy :!:

But so far looks like Sat morning.

Getting paperwork for ATF today, hold thumbs i get to sort it so i can Fly Sunday for a Quickie.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Hawkeye
Signed up at flight school

Postby Hawkeye » Fri May 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Asterix my maat...

Ek hoop jy het die beste B-day met all die maters, geen knipmesse asseblief.

Trane in my oe dat ek dit nie kan maak nie, maar ja ek kan nie :-(
Hawkeye
X-Winds
Raptor
ZU-CFO
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Tank-Slapper: As jou mede chaingangers jou oortuig op die laasste - jy is welkom - ons het plek vir jou! vhpy

"The Four Racers for Beginsel" Friday morning arrivals will be interesting: 1 x Solo Wings Aquilla, 1 x Aviate Aspect Raptor, 1 x P&M GT 450, 1x Rainbow Aircraft Aerotrike Cobra. Ons moet dalk na arrivals 'n foto neem op die baan - dit is geskiedkundig! vhpy
Robbie Shaw
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Robbie Shaw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Asterix,

Sounds fantastic, I am so sad I will not be able to make it..... Have a blast ... And welcome yourself on the morning of the 7th June 2013 to the naughty 40's it's great.... Join the ride
Hopefully we will meet soon...

Fellow aviator
Robbie Shaw (Rhodie)
ZU-BJU
Robbie Shaw. (Rhodie)
Zero seven 2 5 six zero 2 six two seven
ZU-BJU. (Love Machine)
Airmanship No 1
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 pm

So the weather gods have decided to leave us in limbo a bit?....weather looks fine for the down leg but a bit crappy for Sunday's return.... :wink:

Well... I have decided to fly down Fri and see if the weather Gods are wrong! (-)

If we wake up Sun and the weathers gagapoofies.... then I'll just drive back with Maxine and leave DBP in the safety of the mielie stoor at Beginsel. I'll drive down in a week or so with Stef and retrieve her...sommer let Stephanus fly her back to ML.

This is gonna be a great weekend guys! Francios's gonna have his new and his old mistress for the weekend! :lol: Cant wait to bust Beginsel airspace with you skyturds. (^^)

I roll 7am from FABA on Fri.... da race she's on. (!!)
Kobus
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Kobus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi All
Just a reminder that Secunda is closed for maintenance - niot sure if the gravel strip is available??

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 9&t=115278

Wish I could attend!!
The higher, the faster, the safer.