Autumn 2013: Shumba Valley Farm?

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Autumn 2013: Shumba Valley Farm?

Postby Asterix » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm

It seems like the 2013 X country season will not see me flying to the West Coast via the Vaal and Orange.

(INTERLUDE: The TRO has been planned to the finest detail by its author, but in the absence of him - I would rather shelve it with him, rather than fly it without him. ) (^^)

I told myself that I still need to go somewhere this year... (I fly trikes for the x country part of it - vhpy vhpy.)

So - in the light of the Fact that the TRO could be shelved, I pulled out an old one - (I also spend hours planning trips - and I also shelve them! This does not mean that they die, rather - they become available in future.)

Thus - I once flew a glorious morning from an airfield, Eagle Flight Academy near Jan Kempdorp NC - via Welkom to Betlehem, and I marveled at the beauty of the eastern Free State next to the Lesotho border, of my starboard wing. Unfortunately I could not deviate from my route - since me and my Wingman Bugwar were enroute for the Natal midlands @ Amphiteatre Backpackers - routing over Sterkfonteindam to be exact - and we could only gaze at the beauty due to time and fuel constraints. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I promised myself at that time and place - 2 years ago at 9000 ft amsl, with no time to spare: I would return one day and spend time exploring this magical countryside. Without time or altitude constraints.

So - I am pulling an old one from the shelf, and implementing it this year. (even though I have to fly 200 miles from the north to reach my starting point, Beginsel.)

I propose the following, for the weekend over Communist Day :

1. Fly to Shumba Valley. Prepare your own route. (Demon knows the route very well, I assume - so he'll have tips from the West Rand;) xxx
2. Treat it as your destination - and spend time flying leisurely from there - exploring the beautiful terrain of the border - without a further destination;
3. Fly back to wherever you have to, whenever you have to.

Ek gaan hierdie jaar die Oos Vrystaat bietjie uitkyk, met Shumba as 'n basis.

As jy wil saam - beplan jou roete / tyd, en doen dit! :wink:

http://www.shumbavalleyfarm.co.za/index.htm
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Autumn 2013: Shumba Valley Farm?

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Had an awesome stay at Shumba Valley. Owner stands waiting with ice cold beers on landing and the festivities carry on till late.

Next morning flew over the Drakensburg to Dragon Peaks for breakfast, on to Shell Ultra City for juice and the most extreme bumpy ride back via Clarens at midday.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Looks AWESOME!!

1st May, right? This is a Wednesday!

Only 200miles as the crow flies from Aeroden, so maybe one stopover!
Shumba Valley Lodge.jpg
Shumba Valley Lodge AD.jpg
Count me in! (^^)

John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
MariusD
Looking at the sky

Postby MariusD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Looks AWESOME Gents
I'm planning for some time already a trip to that area and maybe we must combine ideas and plan a trip together. Some of the places I want to visit; Sterkfontein Dam, Golden Gate / Clarens, Dragons Peak ........... up to Katse Dam in Lesotho
ZU-AES, Mainair Blade 582
Ingwe Airfield
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Guys check out the following link :arrow:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19385

We will be at Dragons peak from the 1 - 5 May (!!)
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 pm

TC - ja no - but - due to a serious lack of balls and without getting histerical again: I will not cross Lesotho, ever! :roll: I is scared of the Dragon... :wink: I want to fly down to the Western side of the Berg - and then check it out from a distance, over those formations that Demon highlighted - which I often travelled through by car down to my family in East London / PE.

Towards the West - lovely sandstone koppies and ridges and beautiful Vrystaat in between. Lekker low level - dat jy die sonneblomme kan ruik! vhpy

(OF course, from where I sit tonight, I have not flown since October. I feel guilty, pressured for time / distance / lapsed licence / ATF will lapse in two weeks or so ? / can't get the Polokwane hangarage sorted / etc etc. :cry: :cry: ( I am SERIOUSLY contemplating taken my wing back to Jenya - and convert to topless - JUST SO THAT I CAN HANGAR!!!!!!) Still afraid though - I trust those lufflines in turbulence...... :oops: :oops: )

My career move is impacting negatively on my flying, at this stage.. (At least it meant that I could buy a Ford Ranger 3,2 litre 6 speed Supercab on 18 December last year!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

(And of course - Geel Kerneels is hangaring in Heaven, and getting his wings stretched often, from what TC reports..) vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Hold thumbs....there may be at least two "yellow" wings rocking Shumba Valley.... :)
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 pm

This is now my bail-out X country for Autumn / Winter 2013, if the Kalahari BB does not realise due to lack of entries. (99 to go - I am booked :!: ) So this one is shelved for me, pending developments on the KBB :|