SWARTKOP AIRSHOW FLY_INN 11th & 12th May

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: SWARTKOP AIRSHOW FLY_INN 11th & 12th May

Postby John.com » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm

In the absence of a formal briefing (as per 1012) could the following please be clarified?

1. Who is actually coordinating this flypast?
2. Where is the inflight holding area/point (co-ords?) at which the participating aircraft will gather prior to the 8:35-8.45am flyover at Swartkops? What direction will aircraft circulate at the holding area? What minimum vertical/horizontal separation must be maintained between aircraft? What radio frequency will be used at the holding point to communicate between aircraft?
3. What time will the aircraft depart the holding area for Swartkops? What aircraft will lead the formation? Les?
4. What is the routing from this point to Swartkops, along with the estimated flight time?
5. What will be the direction of the flyby? On the line of the runway? Which direction, 02 or 20?
6. What altitude limits will the aircraft have to maintain during the flyby?
7. Will it be a SINGLE flyby, then depart for own home AD?
8. What radio comms rules will apply during the flyover? What frequency will be used for aircraft to aircraft comms? Who will communicate with ATC, the formation leader?

Sorry guys, but this is the bare minimum I would expect to ensure the safety of aircraft/pilots and spectators alike.

OK, so who is in charge and can we get some answers?

Thanks, John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm

John dot, no fly-by. Just a fly-in according to AWACS.
In summary, all is not lost if you utilize the 1 hour slot between 07:00 to 08:00. We can still fly in, spend approx. minutes on the ground and then leave BEFORE 08:00.
Predicted winds no problem anymore vhpy , scattered rain also no problem vhpy , however, cloud base now seems to be the deciding factor for me :| . Have to cross the Magalies into rising ground from Brits. Will play it as it comes but not looking promising.

John dot, what do you have as forecast on cloud base ?
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 pm

kloot piloot wrote:John dot, no fly-by. Just a fly-in according to AWACS.
In summary, all is not lost if you utilize the 1 hour slot between 07:00 to 08:00. We can still fly in, spend approx. minutes on the ground and then leave BEFORE 08:00.
Predicted winds no problem anymore vhpy , scattered rain also no problem vhpy , however, cloud base now seems to be the deciding factor for me :| . Have to cross the Magalies into rising ground from Brits. Will play it as it comes but not looking promising.

John dot, what do you have as forecast on cloud base ?
Crikey, now I'm confused! :shock: AWACS has said "This means that it is expected of us to fly over Swartkops during this slot and leave agian (similar to 2012)". Anyway, noted. I'm out.

Low-level, middle and high cloud is forecasted, with possibility of rain. No prediction yet on cloud base level. It could be on the deck early on in the morning, so please take care.

Cheers, John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 pm

All micro lighters from micro land be ready to lift off by 06:30. We wait for gaggle from petit. Group up with them and do the flyin to swartkops.
Man small...why fall?..Skies call...that's all.
ZU-EJU
AWACS
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby AWACS » Fri May 10, 2013 9:49 pm

John,
For the record (I notice that you are out)
The will be NO fly past - I only confirmed what Les has been arranging. It is certainly unsafe to try and put a fly past together like this.
This is of course a disappointment to us all considering the huge success we had last year. In my conversations at the briefing, I came to the conclusion that there has been some misunderstanding/confusion - call it what you want. I do not want to voice my opinion over the forum for the sake of our reputation.
Nevertheless, we may fly in, land and fly out before 08:00 as stated in my previous posts - that's it! The airspace closes at 08:00 for the display.

Apologies if my posts caused any confusion.

The Airshow still has a full program scheduled for tomorrow despite the absence of Gripen, Hawk, Black Widow etc.

(I requested the SAAf personnel in charge to consider us again for the next opportunity which they agreed to.)
Raptor 582
ZU-Sling 2
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 am

The wind she's blowing now. Wouldn't want to be in a trike. Me, I'm going to hop into a cheetah!!
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 am

Hey petit gaggle we waiting for your call. Theunis please call 0828922405 you go I go
ZU-EJU
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Sat May 11, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks for the call. Good call. We will drive in also and live to tell the story vhpy vhpy vhpy
ZU-EJU
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Sat May 11, 2013 11:59 am

A no go for me. ## What a pity. And to the weather ^ ^ ^
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 pm

McFly and AWACS,
Sorry it did not pan out due to the weather, BUT AGAIN, A GREAT THANKS FOR KEEPING THE DOOR OPEN TO US MICROLIGHTERS ! ^*^^ ^*^^

Thanks for all your efforts to allow us there legally, unlike our Gupta neighbours.
Next time better weather luck.

You guys rock !
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 am

Salute McFly, AWACS
ZU-EJU
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Thu May 16, 2013 11:36 am

Dear McFly. We once again are thankful for this opportunity that came our way. We really appreciate all the time and effort you put in. Many of us were so ready to take off? It just seams so unfinished. Now that everything has settled, please can you be so kind and arrange a flyin to Swartkops on one of their first Saturdays of the month or any other.

I also urge our flying community to comment and give recognition and support to McFly on this post with a "Thanks and yes we would love to flyin to Swartkops"
ZU-EJU
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Thu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm

peters wrote:Dear McFly. We once again are thankful for this opportunity that came our way. We really appreciate all the time and effort you put in. Many of us were so ready to take off? It just seams so unfinished. Now that everything has settled, please can you be so kind and arrange a flyin to Swartkops on one of their first Saturdays of the month or any other.

I also urge our flying community to comment and give recognition and support to McFly on this post with a "Thanks and yes we would love to flyin to Swartkops"
(^^) (^^) (^^)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Sun May 19, 2013 1:48 pm

I can only echo peters sentiments. McFly, please keep doing what you do. Even though this event didn't pan out, I think it's a tremendous achievement for microlights to be afforded the privilege of being allowed to fly into a military airbase in such large numbers, and you are the one who makes it happen. Well done sir! =D*
I would definitely love to fly in to Swartkops. Maybe we can arrange on a Saturday sometime in the next few months?
Plane-less