Reach for a Dream-Namibia-2013

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
Louis Cole
Whats the right frequency?

Reach for a Dream-Namibia-2013

Postby Louis Cole » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 pm

I've resisted posting my proposed trip for some time now I suppose because it implies commitment rather than dreaming about the trip.Now that I'm out of the closet so to speak,there's no turning back and I suppose I will have to put my money where my mouth is.

The trip started as a dream( yeah right that's ever going to happen) and was inspired by Helga and Blue Max's (both just about older than me I think) trips as well as the incredible feats of our paralympic athletes in London recently.That made me think that I would love to dedicate my trip to the "Reach for a Dream Foundation" which facilitates dreams of people who are terminally ill.I put the idea to John Boucher (should really have been Bundy as the Communication member for MISASA) to consider MISASA as an official partner of the Foundation which would raise their profile and also broaden the Foundation's base should they have patients elsewhere in the country.I'm also toying with the idea of using the trip to raise funds for them.Imagine the possibilities if someone like Oscar or Natalie agreed to go along.This is not a priority for now as the planning has to take presidence.

I have been following Bundy's "Two Rivers Odessey" with keen interest as my trip basically follows a similar route in a different sequence and will take me to Namibia from the Richtersveld whereas they plan to go to Alexander Bay on their way back.I see a lot of similarities in our respective trips and hope to collaborate with them on some aspects. My route will start at my farm strip,Jakkalsdans close to Lanseria and go via Crosswinds,Lichtenburg,Delareyville,Vryburg,Kuruman,Kathu,Olifantshoek,Upington,Augrabies,Klein-Pella, Aggeneys,Goodhope,Vioolsdrif,Noordoewer,Norotshama,Ausenkehr,Ais-Ais,Karasburg,Ariamsvlei,Nakop,Noeniesput,Koopan-Suid,Koppieskraalpan,Hakskeenpan,Askham,Van Zylsrus,Kuruman,Reivilo,Taung,Bloemhof,Bothaville,Parys,Fochville,Krugersdorp and finally home-sweet-home.I don't have time constraints so my route can and will probably change as time goes by.I'm quite set on the Namibia leg even if my point of entry has to be adjusted.My planned date of departure was May/June but after having spoken to Helga & others it would appear that the weather during April/May is the best.

I plan to take a groundcrew along as the trip in itself seems daunting enough.Now for the nuts and bolts part of the planning.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
25 52.869' S 027 54.940' E
(http://www.opencockpit.co.za)
"Reach for your dreams"
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Reach for a Dream-Namibia-2013

Postby Bugwar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Louis

Crossing the border was one of the major headaches we were grappling with when we attempted this last year. As far as regulation goes, you are only allowed to enter Southern Namibia at Luderitz , Oranjemund and Keetmanshoop . We got overflight permission with the point of entry being Ariamsvlei but apparently the Namibian aviation authority is no the problem here. It seem like the border police do not like this too much and give the Namibian version of Misasa / Aeroclub a lot of hassle. Taking the chance of having your ac stripped / impounded was just not an option and I prefer being within the law and regulations especially in a foreign country.

Also see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14965&hilit=namibia+border. We had a lot of help from Hanno Snyman who advised us against the Ariamsvlei option.
Hanno Snyman
Microlight Association of Namibia
tel: +264 81 127 5689 (also for sms)
hannos@agra.com.na

I had 3 solutions:

1) Fly to Nakop / Ariamsvlei border and land on the SA side. Load the trike on a trailer (wing not folded) and go through the border as usual. Off-load at Ariamsvlei and continue the journey.
2) Clear at Upington and fly a straight line to Keetmanshoop. Land just before the border at Noeniepunt to refuel and continue to Keetmanshoop landing for the first time in Namibia at keetmanshoop.
3) LAnd at Alexander Bay. Walk to the border post and clear SA customs and immigration. Fly to Oranjemund as the first entry into Namibia.

If landing after departure from Uppington is not an issue, I suppose the best would be to clear at Uppington and then fly to Alexanderbay and then to Oranjemund but you will have to stop / overnight along the way.

I will keep my eye on this one as I am very interested in how you are planning to do it.
ZU-EHG - Raptor

Vulture Squadron videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/VultureSquadronZA
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Paul,
I've E-mailed Helga Hanno and Ansa Mocke for guidance and will keep you posted.I also plan to go to Upington soon and will probably go and see Eben at the same time.In my initial planning I intended to go to Luderitz and from there to Oranjemund ,Alexander Bay , Port Nolloth,Springbok,Upington but it was just too far and not very scenic.I've always wanted to fly Namibia so I guess I have to find a way.Your option 1 and even 2 looks viable if all else fails.Would also prefer a legal option.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 pm

vhpy
Bugwar wrote:Clear at Upington and fly a straight line to Keetmanshoop. Land just before the border at Noeniepunt to refuel and continue to Keetmanshoop landing for the first time in Namibia at keetmanshoop
No 2 above will be my choice.. That is the shortest route to Nam... I believe ? .. :)
A vissit to Nam by trike is on my Bucket list.
I will want to join if the bucket is still there to kick.!!! (-)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 pm

All this makes me want to cancel my Aus(tralia) trip and go to (Klein)Aus instead
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Hanno explained the option of Upington/Keetmanshoop as well as Upington/Ariamsvlei as possible points of entry.He says that Upington is the immigration point of entry with an aircraft and not Ariamsvlei. W.r.t. the latter option he suggests that I could apply for overflight clearance, with Ariamsvlei as my point of entry as well as exit and see if they would issue it that way.According to him it is almost always issued.If it is issued, he suggests that when I return I take off at Ariamsvlei ,land at Upington and submit a statement that I was issued with an overflight clearance and was merely following my flightplan.Hanno was really helpful and offered to personally take my application to the relevant authorities and do the follow up as their feedback responses normally are not more than 5%.He sent me an application form and I'm thinking of applying now and see whether they will issue it or not.Alternatively I'm also wondering whether it is such a bad option to trailer across if I don't have to de-rig the wing. Having seen a mouthwatering videoclip of Mark Becker on Google ("Microlight adventure:Flying the Fish") ,I am more determined to do the Canyon route than ever.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Like I said before, Hanno helped us and we got the clearances wit Ariamsvlei as entry and exit but it does not mean it is legal and that you will not get hassle from the uthorities.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:21 am

Another epic trip planned. (^^)

So nice to be able to use the opportunity to do something for others too. As you know we have also chosen a charity for the T.R.O. (^^)
Misasa will always be keen to support the aspirations of it's members. The positive influence on the profile of the sport as a whole which results from adventures like yours does a lot to bring new commers into our world.

I wish you all the best for your trip, let me know how we can be of assistance and I'll see what we can do. I have a feeling that we will be sharing much info between the two of us from now untill next year.... (!!)
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am

At the moment I'm exploring all options and will then decide on the one with the least hassles.The last thing one wants is to go through all the planning and preparations and then get embroiled in bureaucratic obstacles.Another option would be to explore alternative routes.One that I am considering is to enter at Ariamsvlei, and exit at Oranjemund via Ais-Ais.Who knows I could even run into two other weary aviators at Alexander Bay.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks for the support Alan.I've been in touch with the "Reach for a Dream Foundation" and the logistics of physically involving their patients during my trip might be challenging as their doctors first have to authorise their participation .Any long term forward planning due to their condition, is also not difficult. Perhaps I will have to look at an awareness stategy and/or fundraising of some sorts .
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I just returned from a X-country trip to Secunda and met Helga at Panorama who did a solo trip to Ais-Ais and into Namibia a few years ago.Really an impressive woman.I have co-incidently been corresponding with her to touch base with wrt her trip.Had some really scary conditions between Panorama and Krugersdorp but a good confidence builder and excellent preparation for next year.Now off to Namaqualand for a week and will try to meet with the Mockes in Upington to discuss some options wrt the border crossing.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Just arrived in Upington by car after 11 hrs which is about a 3rd of the distance of the trip next year.It is going to be far with a trike.Did the trip to the Bundu Bash as a pax in a Bantam in 2005 in a day and a half.I recall Sue flying her trike down that year if i'm not mistaken.Does anyone have any info on Barberspan Resort near Delareyville as a possible overnight destination? Also does anybody know what the state of the rwy is at Lichtenburg? Passed there today but couldn't get in to check it out.Landed there in 2005 and it was a little derelict but still good enough to use.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Just returned from a family visit in Namaqualand and made use of the opportunity to check out some rwys.that I might make use of next year and also met some contacts/collected contact particulars at the respective places.Some of the places I visited were Ventersdorp(not maintained but usable),Lichtenburg (tarstrip,hangarage+contact) ,Sannieshof (possible landing on gholf course if necessary), Delareyville (maintained sandstrip,hangarage*contact), Vryburg (tarstrip), Kuruman (tarstrip, hangarage) Olifantshoek (unusable despite roadsign indicating airport), Upington (tar,hangarage+contact), Augrabies (sandstrip), Pofadder (sandstrip & camping possible), Aggneys (tarstrip,hangarage,camping possible+contact) and Springbok(tarstrip,hangarage+contacts).I landed on some of these runways before in 2005 as a pax in a Bantam and Ventersdorp was the only one that was unsafe.

The terrain between Upington and Springbok is very microlight friendly and the road almost straight as an arrow with very little traffic.Still undecided about the Namibia leg but lots of time to consider my options.Also a little undecided about the planning of overnight stops as it became evident on this trip that the weather especially the wind will be the determining factor in arriving on time at a preplanned destination.My feeling at this point would be to make use of camping facilities which,with a support vehicle would be easier.Any advice out there?
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 pm

It was with great disappointment when Bundy announced that the Two Rivers Odyssey trip unfortunately had to be postponed, that I had to revert to my original plan to visit Namibia in stead. Didn't fancy doing it solo but as the one door closed the other was kicked down by ...guess who? Enter Blue Max. It has worked like a charm because this trip has been on his bucket list for some time now. What started off as a trip around the southern part of Namibia has now taken on ominous proportions. Hoe ken julle vir Oom Paul? "As ons die moeite doen om Namibia te doen kan ons dit net sowel ordentlik doen." So we set aside 2 months to see how far it takes us. Planning has been done and the "minor" details of overflight clearances, landing permits etc. in process and take-off planned for May 10th.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 am

I cant tell you how happy I am to read this. vhpy

I have always run head first into a challenge but sadly our trip was one leap too far for me and I came crashing down in flames like ol Icarus. Life has a habit of changing the circumstances when you least expect it.
Having a few more years "life experience" than me, I had hoped that you would find a way to still do your Bucket list trip and it really puts a cherry on top of my personal dissapointment to read the website and see that on May 10th at least two dreams will come true. (^^)

I know how much effort you have put in to this Louis, I hope you have the time of your lives! 8)

Voorspoed My Triking friends, safe landings and blue skies. (Dont forget to take a pee in the sea for me!)

Awesome News. (!!)