Reach for a Dream-Namibia-2013

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
Louis Cole
Whats the right frequency?

Re: Reach for a Dream-Namibia-2013

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:33 am

We have now reached the point where the avalanche has gained momentum and given the things that still need to be done and arranged, we realistically are one month behind schedule. I thought the planning for the Two Rivers Odyssey was hectic even though Bundy had done the bulk of the planning, but with the days running out 'm beginning to realise that this is more than we bargained for. A lot of my time is and will be consumed on blogging on Microlighters and our website and with my limited technical and typing skills, I will be writing and posting pics/videos about our adventure on our website (www.opencockpit.co.za) with reference or a link on Microlighters. Both Blue Max and I missed the advent of the IT explosion and information overload often results in "brain freeze with both of us. The KISS concept works better for both of us. :? :?
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
25 52.869' S 027 54.940' E
(http://www.opencockpit.co.za)
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am

Take-off minus 27 days.
There is an elephant in the room when you sometimes see the tree but fail to notice the forest behind the tree and many aviators suffer from what is called Ïmustflyitis".
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 am

Take-off minus 26 days.

There are two dreaded sounds in a microlight in flight...deathly silence or the equivalent of an irregular heartbeat in your engine.
Somebody accidently turned on the tumbledrier and I vaguely remember Kloot Piloot's words during a lecture on flying in turbulence: "Slap chips" meaning...
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am

Take-off minus 25 days.

They say that make-up CEX is really awesome but little did I know how great it really was...
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 am

Take-off minus 24 days.

Every dog has his day but little did I realise what this actually means when a speedcop says this to you.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Take-off minus 22 days.
Blue Max and I have committed ourselves to raise R125000 for Reach for a Dream to realise 25 dreams for children with life threatening illnesses during our trip and we are really excited to now already have 2.2 dreams in the pocket. Two down, 23 to go.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Take-off minus 17 days

That elusive Overflight clearance for Namibia has finally been authorised and replaced with a new form which does not include ports of entry as the old Overflight clearance did. The dates however was issued incorrectly and Hanno is onto it. He has been an enormous help in this process and made a submission on our behalf to simplify the process. (^^)
ATF_small.jpg

Finally we can enter Namibia legally with our microlights but still only through official ports of entry which remains a lottery for us unless we change our route. Ariamsvlei where we intend to enter, is not an official port of entry and ee would have to enter from Alexander Bay through Oranjemund or from Upington through to Keetmanshoop. We could either try the unofficial route through Ariamsvlei and if they send us back, we would have to fly back across the border to Nakop and trailer across from Nakop to Ariamsvlei and fly further from there. Smart money would be to revert back to the original Two Rivers Odyssey route to Alexander Bay and through to Oranjemund which would mean that we miss the Fish River Canyon route but we have 17 days to think and decide about it. Now the battle for clearance to Botswana and Zimbabwe starts.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Take-off minus 11 days

Official confirmation that Blue Max and the Loneranger have reached their sell-by date....as athletes.

In desperation to keep the wolves at bay and the bank manager calm, we approached Red Bull with a proposition to sell branding space on our wings. Brilliant we thought ... Red Bull could earn its wings. We received a quick response from Bernhard in Germany who referred us to the Branding Manager in Johannesburg. Doug tactfully explained that their sponsorships were reserved for Red Bull's contracted athletes but added that he could swing us a few cases of Red Bull to get us on the way. Initially I thought that he meant that it was meant to energise us everyday after a tough flight but when I battled to get out of my chair, I realised that he meant that it would help to get our training programme for the next Geriatric Games on track, so to speak. Dougie we'll take you up on those cases because should it enhance our athletic ability, we could approach the Blue Bulls Rugby Union with a sponsorship proposal. After all I did play against them as a 20 year old for Transvaal, admittedly 40 years ago.
bluebullmicrolight.jpg
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 am

Louis Cole wrote:Take-off minus 11 days

Official confirmation that Blue Max and the Loneranger have reached their sell-by date....as athletes.

In desperation to keep the wolves at bay and the bank manager calm, we approached Red Bull with a proposition to sell branding space on our wings. Brilliant we thought ... Red Bull could earn its wings. We received a quick response from Bernhard in Germany who referred us to the Branding Manager in Johannesburg. Doug tactfully explained that their sponsorships were reserved for Red Bull's contracted athletes but added that he could swing us a few cases of Red Bull to get us on the way. Initially I thought that he meant that it was meant to energise us everyday after a tough flight but when I battled to get out of my chair, I realised that he meant that it would help to get our training programme for the next Geriatric Games on track, so to speak. Dougie we'll take you up on those cases because should it enhance our athletic ability, we could approach the Blue Bulls Rugby Union with a sponsorship proposal. After all I did play against them as a 20 year old for Transvaal, admittedly 40 years ago.
The attachment bluebullmicrolight.jpg is no longer available
We took delivery of a few cases of Red Bull from Poelano today for the trip which should get us through the 8 weeks and fit and revved up enough for the track and field season.
Louis and Poelano.jpg
Louis and Poelano.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
We've now raised enough money to realise 3 dreams for children with life-threatening illnesses so far for our charity , Reach for a Dream. Twenty two to go.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 am

Hi daar bly om te sien die wiel is aan die rol, julle kan seker nie meer wag nie :)

Kyk net hier ingeval julle dalk ietsie mis: http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 25dccadbda

Groete
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Tue May 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Louis

The 12 pilots that were arrested now in Namibia had the same ATF as the one that you posted, but not a landing permit, which they were told they don't need. Just make 100% sure else you might get a few nights free accommodation.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Tnx Mak I've just posted on Hangartalk but it seems our Validation Certificate allows us to fly in Namibia but we have no Overflight Clearance so I guess it is back to the drawing board. It seems that Blue Max is going to need that tent pen anyway. I quote him directly:" Ek sal enige ou wat traai om my trike te konfiskeer, dood bliksem met 'n tent pen." :evil:
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi guys, you have really inspired people to come to the party supporting your very worthy cause

The company I work for, Rand Merchant Bank, has generously come up with the following proposal:
- Whatever money you don’t get to get to R125K, RMB Hugfund will “fill up” to reach R125K.
- If you get to R125K on your own (without RMB's contribution), RMB Hugfund will give R75K to Reach for a Dream.

Well done guys please keep up the good work and please fly safe!

Regards
Ant
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Loco wrote:Hi guys, you have really inspired people to come to the party supporting your very worthy cause

The company I work for, Rand Merchant Bank, has generously come up with the following proposal:
- Whatever money you don’t get to get to R125K, RMB Hugfund will “fill up” to reach R125K.
- If you get to R125K on your own (without RMB's contribution), RMB Hugfund will give R75K to Reach for a Dream.

Well done guys please keep up the good work and please fly safe!

Regards
Ant
(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 am

Reach for a dream.- Namibia.
Our preparations for the trip as well as our fundraising and awareness campaign for Reach for a Dream is underway and what a response it has been. With 3 dreams in the bag before take-off, we have received donations and pledges to easily bring us to 7 or 8 at the end of day one. As you may know, we committed ourselves to realising 25 dreams at an estimated amount of R5000 per dream. Our marketing agents, Digi-box Solutions have done a phenomenal job in raising awareness for our efforts so far and great kudus to them.
I have raised the issue with MISASA before for them to consider becoming an official friend of the Reach for a Dream Foundation. It has no obligations, financial or otherwise to MISASA other than opening opportunities for terminally ill children with a flying dream. There are microlighters and children with terminal illnesses across South Africa and what an opportunity to share what we have with children in need.
In some of the interviews we had with the media, we were asked how we intended to raise funds and I realised that we actually only had an awareness strategy but no fundraising strategy. Asterix has undertaken to try and set up a competition between clubs in the flying fraternity to see how many dreams they can realise. I have already spoken to Loco of Rhino Park, Dionne Mulder of Microland and Paul Coetser and Flo of Eagles Creek and all agreed that it could work. We have an active flying community on the forum and every little donation leads one closer to realising another dream. Asterix suggested a form of a leader board or barometer . One could even incentivise it through sponsorships. Perhaps somebody who is also a member on the AvCom forum could rope them in.
The banking details are on our website on the Donate link. Please remember to use “25 Dreams/ name or clubs as the reference. I hope the mods won’t be too angry if the post does not qualify for this forum.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"