Fly away Sodwana, April 2012

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Fly away Sodwana, April 2012

Postby Asterix » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:06 pm

I wanted to fly there in December. April is probably a better time, weatherwise.

I'll work out a nice travel plan - this will be CHEAP, accomodation wise, and easy - spread over enough days. (April has many holidays)

Weather allowing -this is NOT a challenging flight. See Teasers below. I am going - I am in need of a fly-away to the coast. Join me. Details to follow, pending interest. Otherwise I just go on my own and send you pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsleYlw ... ature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thtwxfT ... yA&lf=plcp

Get away from the patch, with people who have been there, and who won't take chances. Your first proper X country - and living the adventure.
Goose
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Fly away Sodwana, April 2012

Postby Goose » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Hoop die weer speel saam die jaar (^^)
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:07 am

eish i wish i had my license already, this is the trip i would love to do, load up the back seat of a trike with my scuba gear and shoot off to soddies, you guys are so lucky
ps. i'll be there over easter so will be looking out for you from the beach :)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 pm

(!!)
A never forget adventure..
Will like to do it again..
Problem!!! the long weekend in April 6-9 is fully booked at Elands Quad and Microlights and i need to be there..
If the event takes place at the other long weekend to the end of April I will do my best to join..otherwise i will just envy you okes.!!
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Oom Polla - there is no dates yet - for the specific reason that I can see which dates suites most people - so you can still come along - you will be missed if you don't.

Anthony Hugo - throw your scuba gear in the boot of your car and drive down. You can then still experience it - you are welcome in my backseat as we steam up and down the coast while we are there, and ALSO, you then become Official Ground Crew Chief (OGCC), since we have a car to drive to town for fuel / to the beach for girls / jan maak 'n las for some fun! vhpy vhpy . We'll fly you along, and buy you beer for your trouble. :wink: :wink:

In very broad terms, I want to fly somewhere in April, without planning a HUGE fly - away like last year when the VS started out for nam and 2/3's ended up in Sodwana anyway. I want this to be relaxed with enough days left if the weather catches us, and if it doesn't, we have a day or three relaxing at Sodwana.

Route-wise, I have this planned to a turn. Everybody will leave from their respective fields , on the afternoon before the first day, and all will meet up at Beginsel, Standerton, where we have shelter / sleeping space / fuel etc.

Next morning - Piet Retief. Depending on the weather -fuelstop - then Sodwana, or - weather NOT permitting - afternoon flight to Sodwana. OR, crap weather, overnight stay at Piet Retief, and Sodwana the next morning - OR afternoon, weather depending.

Same route back. The beauty is that we now have Standerton AND Piet Retief in between - both fully trike friendly, if the weather gives us crap. And the above is a bad case scenario, where we need shelter.

At Sodwana, we are all going to hangar in Francois Burger's hangar, with lekker self catering facilities, and NICE flights up North, inland, down South, etc.

As I am organising this - I want to make ONE THING VERY CLEAR for pilots without X country experience, yearning to get away from the patch: WE WILL NOT TAKE CHANCES WITH WEATHER / ADVERSE CONDITONS. WE will not get down to Sodwana at any price - if the weather screws us, we remain where we are, and we re-plan the next leg. NO PRESSURE - I promise!! ## ##

Cost -wise: Your biggest expence will be fuel / oil. I will get us a quote from Francois Burger in Sodwana for staying in the hangar - he is cheap! Piet Retief - I will talk to the guys at the new field. Standerton - my families's guests - no charge.

A flight from Standerton to Sodwana in good weather is about 4 - 5 hours in an Aquilla, depending on the weather. With Piet Retief smack in the middle.(fuel stop, or overnight if the weather turns crap)

Think about dates that would suite you. I am thinking at least 5-6 days. You want to spend some time at Sodwana to do the local flights.

Lets make this a lekker big gaggle!! (^^) (^^)
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:43 pm

If you want to join, but the "ole ball and chain" is complaining about you flying of on an adventure and she has to stay behind - get her to drive through: See link below. In this way she is not left out, has a holiday herself, and you can still fly the KZN coast to your heart's delight! (^^) (^^)

http://www.shayamoyalodge.co.za/

This lodge is situated RIGHT NEXT to Francois' hangar - three minute walk. You check out the swimming pool on finals. Very nice accomodation with aircons, DSTV etc, nice pool area / bar, VERY GOOD CHEF ## - He cooks up the catch from the bay that morning - and you will not finish your plate! (^^) (^^)

Seasonal however - and VERY popular amongst the scuba gang, so booking is essential.

The nice thing though is that you can still visit them and book dinner, even though you live in the Hangar at Francois's field.

Some various pics from last year:
Attachments
DSC01783.JPG
DSC01785.JPG
DSC01786.JPG
DSC01787.JPG
DSC01788.JPG
DSC01791.JPG
DSC01792.JPG
DSC01843.JPG
DSC01883.JPG
DSC01886.JPG
DSC01887.JPG
DSC01892.JPG
DSC01893.JPG
DSC01931.JPG
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Hoekom in April? Wat is fout met Julie wanneer ek ook kan gaan en die tiervis byt in Josini dam?
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Oor die vakansiedae in April.... Maar niks keer ons om TWEE keer te gaan nie? Sorry Tjomma - maar ek MOET April iewers heen vlieg? Ek moet die Cobra se vlerke bietjie gaan stretch. Maar ons kan Julie dieselfde trip doen! See-toe vlieg raak nie oud vir my nie.!! (In elk geval is jy in Julie as alles mooi loop te fkn moeg van die peanut se geskree 2 uur in die more om te wil gaan vlieg!!) ## ##

:wink:
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:48 pm

For those that don't know - Bugwar will become a DADDY again during June. Lets hope he bears offspring with a natural knack for flying in turbulence, better than his bang gat pappa, thereby making "Oom Asterix" proud! (!!) (!!) (!!)

:wink: :wink: :wink:
LDV
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby LDV » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi

Will a IBIS Aircraft be welcome ?

Leon
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Asterix wrote:For those that don't know - Bugwar will become a DADDY again during June. Lets hope he bears offspring with a natural knack for flying in turbulence, better than his bang gat pappa, thereby making "Oom Asterix" proud! (!!) (!!) (!!)

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Where is the little middle finger "smiley" s019 s019 s019
ZU-EHG - Raptor

Vulture Squadron videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/VultureSquadronZA
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Chaps, you may just see a ZULU1 coming around the corner...but meantime just to wet that appetite see a pic that I took many moons ago when we could fly the wetlands and yes eat your heart out. Kosi bay.

It really is possibly one of the best shots that I have taken anywhere and I have flown right up past iNhambane...the fish kraals are highly visible and I have some close ups showing the spearmen at work...all on Alan Macks album.

enjoy

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/111979 ... 4428uqSqqu

Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 pm

LDV wrote:Hi

Will a IBIS Aircraft be welcome ?

Leon

All aircraft welcome - runway @ Sodwana is 250metres, I don't know an IBIS but if she can handle it - join in! (Last year I saw a Piper Cherokee land and take of there - strong headwind though. Hair raising!! :shock: )
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Fly away Sodwana, 27 April - 01 May2012

Postby Asterix » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Nobody has came up with dates - except my friend Blue Max who indicated that his preference is the second long-weekend. So - I am setting the dates, as above.

I do propose that we leave Standerton on the morning of 27 April - which will allow us to get to Sodwana that same day, and leave us with three days there. Return on 01 May, all the way back to GP.

This will entail that you take of the afternoon of 26 April and haul your ass to Standerton. 75 miles from Microland, 90 minutes.

I need a headcount - so please indicate if you are joining.

vhpy
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Oops! I only see now that the national championships will start on 02 May - so if you join me - you will miss on that.

However I am not cancelling my trip, (even if I "goes it alone". Or if the weather cancels it FOR me). This will mean that I miss the champs - but I am okay with that - personally, I am not that big on comps - makes me think of work! vhpy

I'll rather go X country! :wink: