BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Postby mulderpm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:44 pm

No. That is not an option. They are outsoursed. Maun AP or Kwai AP can work.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm

After yesterday morning’s breakfast we discussed the finer details of the trip:

Just a reminder: This trip is an adventure. Kasane (Chobe & Vic Falls), Sua Pan (Mkgadikgadi Pans) and Maun (Okavango Delta) are the places that will be our bases. All bases will be accessible by 2 wheel drive and will have camping and chalet accommodation. For safety and recovery reasons, all flying routes will be close to tarred roads. All activities will be arranged and you are welcome to join in, or just park off. This is not just about flying. There will be something of interest for everyone. Game drives, boat cruises, candle lit dinners in the bush and on a boat, Vic Falls day trips, Tiger fishing, Kubu Island and so on. You can fly-in, trailer-in or just drive in, the choice is all yours. It is most definitely not a mane only trip (sorry Masimo) :(

The official starting point of the adventure will be in the area which has the most varied activities and is the furthest point.... Kasane. For those who are driving...due to the distance and a customs clearance, it was decided to overnight at Elephant Sands (no runway). The next day, we will only travel 215 km to Kasane. We will get there early enough to still rig and fly in the afternoon.
Resize of Botswana trip 2015.jpg
Kasane (Arr: 26 April, Dep: 1 May - 4 Days) – We park the planes at Kasane Airport and stay at either Chobe Safari Lodge, http://www.chobesafarilodge.com, or for those who want to stay out of town, Senyati Safari Camp, http://senyatisafaricampbotswana.com. As this is the official starting point, everyone must be at Chobe Safari Lodge at 20H00 on the 26th April 2015. We will all meet in front of the dining area. The Kasane area includes flight/s to Vic Falls, flight/s along the Chobe National Park border and down Lesomo Valley. Game Boat cruises along the Chobe River and dinner on a river boat. Game drives in Chobe NP and adjacent Forest Reserves, tiger fishing, and trips, by car, to Vic Falls (bungee jumping etc).

Kasane to Sua Pan via road refuel strip (318Km)

Sua Pan (Arr: 1 May, Dep: 3 May - 2 days) - We fly in to Sua Pan Airfield for transfer to Mkgadikgadi Pan Lodge. If dry, we park the planes on the pan. This area includes, flying around pans, Kubu Island, Kukonje Island, Nata Bird Sanctuary (Flamingo colonies) and for those who want to..... camp out on the pan.

Sua Pan to Maun via refuel stop at Gweta Airfield (290Km)

Maun (Arr: 3 May, Dep: 7 May - 4 days) - We fly in to Maun Airport and park the planes at Maun Airport for transfer to Island Safari Lodge, http://www.islandsafarilodge.co... http://www.islmaun.com. This area includes, flying over the Okavango Delta, Makoro trips, boat trips, fishing, and Game drives in Moremi.

Home 7th & 8th May 2015.

Maun is the last official base camp. From there, or anywhere earlier for that matter, some with trailers, may want to fly some of the way home. As such there will be a group flying from Maun to Orapa Airfield (243Km). The Southern parts of the Makgadikgadi Pans are also very beautiful to fly over and is well worth considering. They will then de-rig at Orapa Airfield and trailer home from there.

I will post costs shortly. I hope you have started saving....this is going to epic...and should be on everones bucket list. vhpy vhpy
Last edited by mulderpm on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm

For those pilots flying all the way. Depending on your range, you could clear customs at Pilanesberg and then at Francistown or Kasane. Maun also has customs facilities. By road, the best/easiest is Martins Drift (tar all the way) or Stockpoort (30Km streach of excellent dirt road, 100Km/h).
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
massimo1
Looking at the sky

Postby massimo1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm

[quote="mulderpm"] It is most definitely not a mane only trip (sorry Masimo) :(

Hey i didn't want it to be a mane trip, i was just checking whats what.
massimo1
Looking at the sky

Postby massimo1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:05 pm

This sounds like an excellent itinerary. (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:10 pm

s023...you in Massimo. Your RV can easily land at all the airports. s023
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
massimo1
Looking at the sky

Postby massimo1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Im definitely inn! But with Aquila. I want to smell that beautiful bots air. puff
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Excellent. Didn't know you still had an Aquila. Northern Bots is the closest (to SA) wild Africa still left.....where animals and humans "live" together. It is an experience to be cherished. Warthog crossing the main road in Kasane, and just before town, a sign saying, "This is an Elephant crossing....please slow down". From Nata you have signs warning you about wild animals....See below.
Resize of IMG_0629.JPG
The Chobe River Dinner Cruise, table for two...Dix & myself....many..many point's.
Resize of IMG_0872.JPG
By the way, ....last year, their president, banned all..but I mean all... hunting in the whole of Botswana.....yes...yes...my man. What a visionary. ## By the way he is also a pilot s023. vhpy
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 am

Ok, the dreaded part....costs.

Below are the options at each of the accomodation locations. According to your requirements you can choose what you want to book and obviously the costs will vary accordingly.

I have also included per example, the costs for trailering to Kasane and then back from Maun, flying the inbetween legs with the ground support following by road.

Chobe Safari Lodge.

This lodge is centrally situated and boarders Kasane on the east and Chobe on the west.
Resize of Chobe Safari Lodge.jpg
Resize of Chobe Safari Lodge 2.jpg
Senyati Safari Camp.

They are situated 10 k's to the east of Kasane. You are away from town and in the wild. (My choice vhpy )
July 2014 - June 2015 Rates.png
Makgadikgadi Lodge

Camping = P 180 per person, per night
Chalet with breakfast = P 610 (sleeps 2 + )
Alacart meal = P120 per person

Tourism/bed levey = P10 per person, per night...NB. This is applicable to all these bookings.

Island Safari Lodge.
Camping = $ 10 per person, per night
Double Chalet = $ 115
Single Chalet = $ 75

Example budget below.
Resize of Example budget.jpg
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 am

Because of the variety of requirements I propose each person books for himself. This way, for the chalet accomodation you can share with someone else and you are free to book for the parts you want to.

Accomodation details below:

Chobe Safari Lodge, http://www.chobesafarilodge.com,
Senyati Safari Camp, http://senyatisafaricampbotswana.com.
Makgadikgadi Lodge, 00 267 728 90500, remmymothetho@yahoo.com.
Island Safari Lodge, http://www.islandsafarilodge.co... http://www.islmaun.com. gm@africansecrets.net

Closer to the time I will submit a bulk clearance request to the BCAA....if required.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Frank Smallwood
Ready for the first flight

Postby Frank Smallwood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks very much for all your efforts Paul. This makes the whole thing a bit more real. For those who are shocked by the cost of trip bear in mind that if you book an apartment on the natal north coast in December you will pay a minimum of R1000 and more likely R1500 to R2000 per night and so a two week stay will cost you at least R14000 before you have driven there or bought any food or drink. So it is no worse than that. Can't wait. It will be an epic trip I am sure.
Cheers frank
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Frank Smallwood wrote:Thanks very much for all your efforts Paul. This makes the whole thing a bit more real. For those who are shocked by the cost of trip bear in mind that if you book an apartment on the natal north coast in December you will pay a minimum of R1000 and more likely R1500 to R2000 per night and so a two week stay will cost you at least R14000 before you have driven there or bought any food or drink. So it is no worse than that. Can't wait. It will be an epic trip I am sure.
Cheers frank
Only a pleasure Frank. I don't think people always draw up a budget before they do a local trip. They just go and pay for things as they come up and don't realise the costs until, maybe, afterwards when they get the credit card statement. The costs are very comparable to what a trip to Cape Town or Durban will cost you and then this one includes flying and an unbeatable wildlife experience. Also, to put it into perspective, my last driving trip (Aug & Sep) to Hwange & Chobe & Kasane cost just over R17 000. And, except for the first and last night I camped in my tent all the way.

This cost is very reasonable, and for such an epic trip, it is a bargain....you only live once...
Attachments
Resize of Resize of IMG_0700.JPG
Jambili...Hwange National Park
Last edited by mulderpm on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Blikses check daai vellies en kouse.....pragtig ne Dix??

Those two tables to the left are not mine....they belong to the camp.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
NickSwardt
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby NickSwardt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Nice paul, very well done. (^^)

Myself and jana are in for the first week!
Can't wait for this! (^^)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Great Nick & Jana. Mini Nick kan ook saamkom. Daar is baia hande en gariewe waar ons gaan. Dit is nie Darkest Africa nie.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria