BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Upcoming flying events, fly-ins, airshows, flights etc
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: BOTSWANA fly-away 25 April to 10 May 2015

Postby mulderpm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 am

Some advice from others previous visits. For the Delta, Santawani Lodge is a good microlight friendly base, but NO fly over Moremi!!

Since hunting has been banned in many parts of Botswana there are now many camps, with air strip, which are unused. These are all outside the National Parks.I am looking at the area, roughly, between Nxai Pan, Elephant Sands and Nata. I will speak to Ben at Elephant Sands about these and other options, when I see him, end August. There is also a strip and camping at Pandamatenga border post (Lesomo Valley). The more I plan the more it becomes clear that it would be highly advisable to have a trailer as backup.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
RV12
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby RV12 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:11 am

mulderpm wrote:The more I plan the more it becomes clear that it would be highly advisable to have a trailer as backup.
Or 2 or 3 vhpy
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 am

Yip, I mean as many as possible, preferably each trike has its own trailer. My trailer will definitly be going. vhpy

We will make sure that the base camps are all accesible by road/track. So, if the distances between basecamps are to great for you, then you will be able to trailer between them. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 pm

mulderpm wrote:Some advice from others previous visits. For the Delta, Santawani Lodge is a good microlight friendly base, but NO fly over Moremi!!

Since hunting has been banned in many parts of Botswana there are now many camps, with air strip, which are unused. These are all outside the National Parks.I am looking at the area, roughly, between Nxai Pan, Elephant Sands and Nata. I will speak to Ben at Elephant Sands about these and other options, when I see him, end August. There is also a strip and camping at Pandamatenga border post (Lesomo Valley). The more I plan the more it becomes clear that it would be highly advisable to have a trailer as backup.
Alternatively west "around" the delta is nice as well . (and not over Moremi) - gives you options of game AND tiger fishing (Drotskies, Nguma lodge etc)
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:28 pm

We have looked at that option but it is much further.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Baitbird

Postby Baitbird » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:01 pm

mulderpm wrote:We have looked at that option but it is much further.
Shap !!
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 pm

vhpy vhpy vhpy
Julle het my opgewonde :P
You have me exited :P (-)
Die genot van so trip is om die avontuur en uitdaging te aanvaar om soontoe en terug te vlieg.
Die klem moet wees op die vlieg soontoe en terug en nie om na n airshow toe te trailor nie.
Yes there need to be a groundcrew with a a trailor, or more, depending on numbers.
There need to be a Leader,( squadron leader) and a good mechanic.
Depending on numbers an extra pilot.( reserve pilot)
A trip like this cant be planned in detail, only in broader outlines.
I hope there will be a lot of trikes flying there because Botswana is net om die draai. As jy in Suid-Afrika staan, by die limpopo, kan jy met n klip tot in Botswana gooi. Die res vlieg jy in maksimum twee dae.!
(^^)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:55 am

Great Oom Paula. Jou gemiss by Saterdag se braai.

Those who want to fly all the way are most welcome to do so. With a trailer at hand it is always possible to get back home if anything happens. (^^)

From Pretoria to Sau Pan is almost 700 Km. At a speed of 80 Km/h, when I get there I will be moeg gevlieg. (!!)

All the base camps will be accesible by road, and have camping and cottages. Some camps do not have fuel close by. At Sau Pan, Santawani and Elephant Sands we will have to trailer fuel for the duration of the stay at each of these base camps.

This trip is not a point A to point B to point C....journey. The destinations are what it is all about. They will be in beautifull surroundings with many attractions in the area to visit and enjoy. Spend the time at each of the base camps at your leasure, be it flying, be it game drives....it is your time. We will organise flying outings and game drives ,and if you want to join in, your are most welcome. This trip is NOT an oddesey or quest. ($$) it is an adventure. vhpy
Last edited by mulderpm on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am

Spoke to Fanie Deysel this morning who did this trip some years ago. To fly to Vic Falls from Kasane and back, without landing, does not require custome clearance. Only a flight plan, and a permit to fly in the Special Rules Area above the falls between 4500 ft and 5500 ft. SRA, 2 nm radius centres on Vic Falls bridge. Above 6000 ft, no SRA nor permit required. Sighn out at Kasane and back in again when you return. Maklik...smaklik. (^^) The fees at Kasane Airport for a microlight were also very low.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am

Kasane and Maun fees, Landing P25, Parking P10. To be confirmed.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:47 pm

8)
Wat is die wisselkoers van die R teenoor die P.?
Ek vermoed oornag lodge kostes mag dalk redelik hoog wees by plekke soos Maun en Kasane.?
Of slaap ons onder ons aeries in ons eie tente.??? :| :mrgreen: (-)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 pm

OK, who is going, can we get an idea?

From Kroon we have:
Dawie - Savannah
Deon - Savannah
Johan - Skyjeep
Pieter - Super Cub
Theo - Bantam
Nathan - Cobra Trike
Zelinda - Aquilla Trike
Last edited by Air Hog on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:32 am

1 Pula = R1.20
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am

Blue Max wrote:8)
Wat is die wisselkoers van die R teenoor die P.?
Ek vermoed oornag lodge kostes mag dalk redelik hoog wees by plekke soos Maun en Kasane.?
Of slaap ons onder ons aeries in ons eie tente.??? :| :mrgreen: (-)
Thanks Tumbleweed. At the moment it is about R1=P1.20 and goods cost about in pula what they cost here in rands. i.e. a R35 burger in RSA will coast you P35 there.

Jes, overnight costs are going to be high in the Delta. I am still waiting for a quote from Santawani, but because it is a comunity owned lodge it should be cheaper than the traditional Delta overseas market lodges. There is only challet space for 12 guests. The rest will have to camp anyway. Camping will also be much cheaper than challets.

Oom Paula, jy kan seker onder jou aerie se vlerk slaap maar die Santawni airstrip is sowat 1.2 Km van die lodge aff. As jy dit te voet will aandurf sal jy seeker breakvis word. :lol: Dit sal baia beter wees as jy by die lodge, in jou tent, slaap. Dan is dit net n' paar meter wat jy moet aandurf. :lol: :lol: Daar is geen heinings of versperrings vir die diere nie, en daar is olifante, leus, hyhenas, luiperde en ander gevaarlike (honger) diere in die area. :shock: By die ander plekke sal dit minder gevaarlik wees maar by Maun Lughawe gaan die groot blik aeries jou uit die slaap hou. :lol:
Last edited by mulderpm on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 am

Johan, unfortunately I do not have a commited responce from anyone, except from Mervyn. I am going to send an SMS to all to get comitment. Everyone must just remember that challet accomodation is limited and will be reserved on a first come (pay) first serve basis.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria