CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT POWERPLANT

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT POWERPLANT

Postby fransstrydom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:03 pm

What will be required by the Authorities in terms of documentation should you want to change to a powerplant other than Rotax?
Francois Strydom
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT POWERPLANT

Postby kloot piloot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:09 am

I would assume a worst case scenario will be a slap with 20 to 40 proving flight hours. But start with a call or e-mail to Mr. Piet Fourie at CAA. 011 545 1004 or fouriep at caa dot co dot za.
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks Kloot.I feel sorry for ol Piet.He has to assume some other peoples responsibility at the moment,untill such time that the Braam Hechter Andre Swanepoel debacle has been sorted out.
Francois
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:37 pm

fransstrydom wrote:Thanks Kloot.I feel sorry for ol Piet.He has to assume some other peoples responsibility at the moment,untill such time that the Braam Hechter Andre Swanepoel debacle has been sorted out.
Francois
so does this mean that people who need advice or service are simply put on hold? Frans this is one of the most important threads on this site IMO it needs more input from other owners and pilots im certain manuy are not aware of the looming problem and the bigger picture coming towards us like IMAX right now with legislation?
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:59 am

Unfortunately that is true Greg.Piet now has to travel all over the country to inspect aircraft etc.I met two new BEE cadres the other day,appointed to do accident investigations.One was appointed to investigate a helicopter crash.They do not know the difference between a two and four stroke engine.
Your second point is very important.I make the following conclusions:
1)Pilots want to fly,not interested in the saga around the them.
2)Pilots and owners are scared to voice their opinions.They are under the spell of uncle Jim.
3)Pilots have no backbone(at least most of them)
4)Pilots and owners simply dont care to partake in looking for solutions,somebody else is going to do it for them.
50)Pilots and owners are apathetic.(pateties is n beter woord)
There must be hundreds of aircraft out there that uses Rotax 9 series engines,and they will only be upset when the ATF is due for renewal.
Greg,the writing is on the wall,look at the taxi thing in Pretoria,look at the legal system falling apart etc.
CAA or the Aeroclub or SAGPA will not fight for the rights of their members,and as far as CAA is concerned,they can close down GA flying.This does not mean they will reduce the number of employees,they now all have decent jobs.
Maybe you will remember this forum a few years back.It was buzzing with activity,and it has all but died.I feel it when i arrive at Rhino park.Not the same,no socials,joking talking nonsense and friendship.
Being stupid and all,i do not care what other people think of me.I will say my say,only problem is expressing myself properly.
In Rhodesia things went the same way,and the whiteys stayed,things will come right,they took my neighbours farm but mine is ok.Look where that left them.
Unfortunately we cannot leave politics out of this discussion,it is part and parcel of this problem .
Francois Strydom
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Francois, what is the Aeroclub and the Gyro sec response to your 10 year old motor inquiry?

I know this influences everyone flying with a soon to be 10 year old motor and I personally don't take offence to your direct manner of communication but can think why others would be put off by your abrasiveness. You call a pot very black.

As far as the commercial agents, I don't think they have much influence in the regs other than representing the manufacturer's stance. Anyone is welcome to acquire other motor agencies, its a free market.

That said, I have 2 aircraft driven by Rotax 's so share your concerns.

You mentioned before that you believe there are only one or two recognised Rotax engine repair/ rebuilders and the agent is hesitant to appoint more? What will it take for a trained and approved AMO who rebuilds complex aircraft motors ie, dinosaurs/ radials and turbines to be recognised?

I'm sure there are many more than capable but see the k@k they have to go through with CAA and wonder if they would bother with more drama and if it would be cost effective. Also, from working on certified aerries, they don't ask , they fix and charge.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Frans,

Alhoewel ek saam met jou stem en voel moet ek wel sê dat ek nie saam stem met alles in jou laaste skrywe nie. By voorbeeld wat bedoel jy met hulle is onder die invloed van Oom Jim, dis mos elke persoon se eie keuse of hy die ballas en rug graad het om sy of haar opinie te lewer al dan nie?

Wat ek wel wil sê op die oomblik is dat ek baie dankbaar is ek gaan nie meer agter n Rotax vlieg nie.

Groete
Jaco
Flying feeds the soul!
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Jaco,Jaco,Jaco.
Los Uncle Jim,hy pla jou nie.
Die herrie gaan oor hoe ons in hierdie posisie beland het.Ek is nie hier om populer te wees nie.Ek stel ook nie belang om in n "posisie" te beland nie.Ons het meer mense nodig om hulle opinie te lig,en as dit nodig word moet ons n "poll" hou op hierdie einste forum.Die vraag behoort te wees:
"IS JY TEVREDE MET DIE STELSEL SOOS DIT IS".Tel die stemme.
As die meerderheid tevrede is dan los ons dit soos dit is.Hierdie vraag is natuurlik net van toepassing op die stelsel.Die engine probleme is uitgesluit.Dit is somtyds nodig om uit te vind waarom die swart pot so swart is.Dis dalk nodig om die pot nie so diep in die vuur te sit nie,meer nader aan die kant,want die pot kan nie die hitte vat nie.
Bly om van jou te hoor.
Francois Strydom
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Tumbleweed wrote:Francois, what is the Aeroclub and the Gyro sec response to your 10 year old motor inquiry?

I know this influences everyone flying with a soon to be 10 year old motor and I personally don't take offence to your direct manner of communication but can think why others would be put off by your abrasiveness. You call a pot very black.

As far as the commercial agents, I don't think they have much influence in the regs other than representing the manufacturer's stance. Anyone is welcome to acquire other motor agencies, its a free market.

That said, I have 2 aircraft driven by Rotax 's so share your concerns.

You mentioned before that you believe there are only one or two recognised Rotax engine repair/ rebuilders and the agent is hesitant to appoint more? What will it take for a trained and approved AMO who rebuilds complex aircraft motors ie, dinosaurs/ radials and turbines to be recognised?

I'm sure there are many more than capable but see the k@k they have to go through with CAA and wonder if they would bother with more drama and if it would be cost effective. Also, from working on certified aeries, they don't ask , they fix and charge.
Tumbleweed,up to now no response from either.It is now time for Mr Eric Torr to tell us what SAGPA is supposed to do,not the drivell in the Aeroclub magazine.The playing field has changed since the advent of the ARO's.I am convinced that they don't really know.
As far as the AP's situation,Andre is a roving agent,and his work in his shop is piling up.Because Glen has a small workshop he has to do fly in and fly out the same day jobs.
As soon as engines have to be rebuild we are going to come to a grinding halt.Who is going to rebuild engines by the hundreds. A lot of promises was made to train new AP's.Nothing.Also remember,this engine overhaul course by Comet is not accepted by CAA.
Francois Strydom
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:43 pm

The Yamaha engine is not on our alternative engines list.Is it possible for the moderators to add Yamaha
Attachments
YAMAHA ENGINE.jpg
YAMAHA YG3
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:52 pm

Frans Frans Frans ek het nie Oom Jim hierby ingesleep nie jy het daarom my vraag :wink:

Ek stem saam ons moet agter die kap van die byl kom, maar kom ons wees eerlik ons weet almal hoekom. Dit help ook nie ons probeer teen donderweer poep nie ons moet nou die bal speel soos hy na ons toe kom op die beste moontlike wyse en dit gaan nie maklik wees nie.

Groete
Jaco
Flying feeds the soul!
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:31 pm

TBO EXTENSIONP1.jpg
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:34 pm

TBO EXTENSIONP2.jpg
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Interesante dokument van 2008.Danksy die Aeroclub was daar n verlenging op die 2 slag engines.
Jaco
om jou vraag in kort te antwoord,en miskien vaar ek beter in afrikaans.
Rotax BRP en Comet Aviation erken daar is n probleem met die "hydraulic lifters".Hierdie probleem wys homself in die magnetiese plug.Die skade kan opgetel word met n olie wisseling,en verdere skade kan voorkom word deur die "lifters"te vervang.voordat die nokas ook weggeslyt word.Twee probleme hier:
1)Rotax probeer om die skade af te maak as swak onderhoud van die AP's.
2)Ek verstaan dat falings baie vinnig gebeur,vandat die engine goed presteer tot en met hy gaan staan kan binne 5 ure gebeur en dis die nuwer engines wat hierdie probleem ontwikkel.Kan maklik gebeur voordat die olie wisseling moet plaasvind,die AP het nog nie eers die diens gedoen nie.
Die groot probleem vir my is dat Rotax BRP Die krukas storie gebruik om aanspreeklikheid te vermy,maar hulle se doodgewoon niks oor die Hidrouliese lifters nie.Die kans van so n faling is baie groter as die krukas wat kan faal.
Die twee aangehegde briewe van die BLO het n verlenging op die TBO bewerkstellig (baie dankie aan die Aeroclub)Lyk of hulle toe nog gefunksioneer het.Jammer vir die kwaliteit van die dokumente.
Francois Strydom
crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby crazydoc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi Frans,Greg etc.
Reading all your posts re ,rotax, sagpa, earoclub etc. of late.
My opinion
1.As gyro owner also concerned about situation.
2.Collectivity the only way. obviously.
3.How? Not through a forum. Wount work. To many personal gripes by individuals fouls the opinion and makes people avoid commenting.
4.Why cant sagpa work? Ok im a bit of a novice re sosial history af sagpa etc. but what ive seen at carnarvon last year was.
a, A good spirit ,
b, a platform to raise issues ,discuss them and vote.(if some of you are prepared to raise your gripes on a forum un-anonamously, why would you have a problem at a meeting?.
c, commity members who are willing to work hard for us (even at no pay!),might not always do or dont do the right stuff but who are at least willing to try and accept suggestions ,but will obviously not take personal insults ad infinitum.
d, gyro okes from north, kzn, freestate,eastern cape,even Nam, no weepee okes ## . Dont want to stress the latter but only that we can get everybody from all over SA together .
What is the alternative?
Kind regards George Coetzee