New Section Request for Powerplants

A section dedicated to Powerplants ....
Nacho
Survived second engine out

New Section Request for Powerplants

Post by Nacho » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:19 am

To the moderators of Microlighters.co.za...

Can we add a new section on this forum under general dedicated to Powerplants. I think there must be a general drive in the industry to find alternatives to Rotax... for obviousl reasons. This way there will be more focus on this topic. Technical is to broad to really include it there.

See some sample images below, can this be done? I would like to see what other people in the industry are up to (-)
Attachments
2.JPG
Capture.JPG
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: New Section Request for Powerplants

Post by fransstrydom » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 am

i Concur Willem.No positive feedback as yet from the agents as to the problems of worn out camshafts and hydraulic lifters on the Rotax engines.Seems like it is prevelent in the newer generation engines,and within a very short lifespan of the engine.i Discussed this with several AP's and this problem manifest itself in a very short period of time,making the powerplant dangerously untrustworthy.
Not wishing to bash the distributor here,but we need to find an alternative engine at an affordable price,else GA is going to die a quick death.
SCARY PILOT

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:31 pm

ROTAX 9 SERIES ENGINES
These questions are directed at Niren,our fearless leader at Comet Aviation.
I was not privy to the meeting week before last concerning the situation around The Rotax engines.I would like to see the minutes of that meeting as well as decisions taken regarding
1)The 10 years and older engines.
2)The valve train failures that surfaced lately on fairly new engines.
3)The total silence as to decisions regarding these problems from the suppliers of these engines.
4)Will the cost to repair/replace or fix these engines be carried by the manufacturer,even if out of the warranty period?

Seems like the manufacturer is very verbal as to the life span of the engine,but lacks the drive to investigate the camshaft and hydraulic lifter question.Is it because a camshaft is cheaper than a crankshaft?Liabilties are not only applicable to crankshafts.
Also,and maybe i must direct this question to someone else.WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO OBTAIN MY ATF TOMORROW MORNING AT RAASSA?
A statement was made as to the posistion of CAA,AEROCLUB,and also the manufacturer/supplier of these engines.Did that decision change because of the meeting?
Niren, an official and speedy answer is necessary
Francois Strydom 078 267 6145

Nacho

Post by Nacho » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Frans, in this game everyone just want to make money. That is all it is about. What they don't realize, when pilots stop flying, their income will also diminish.

Why on earth,m will all the skills we have in this game we are still stuck on Rotax? I am talking to another supplier now in the Ukraine. They are flying Suzuki engines there. Complete 105HP engine with gearbox = U$8 000-00, why are we stuck on Rotax engines! The best message we can send is to keep quiet, as making a noise doesn't make any difference anyway, and start testing alternatives. Question marks and help will pop up very quick, once the income disappear. And that goes for all suppliers / service providers etc taking the piss.
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:45 pm

The system works as follows.See what is happening at ESCOM.The energy regulator refused to allow the additional increase in tariffs.They are not finding it easy to borrow money internationally because they want to decide how this monies is to be spend,mainly paying for salaries for the fat cats.ESCOM also refuses to cut jobs.This is now the latest definition of a decent job,you have nothing to do but you are being paid to just go to work,er excuse me,you don't even have to go to work,just be on the payroll.Same thing with SACAA eventually.You must understand that presently SACAA is run by middle management,or what is left over of the system before the ANC took over managment seriously.What they didnt realise was that this was not just another parastatel to take over and help themselves to BBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEE.This parastatel is also regulated by international laws,hence the new management ar CAA every morning.
I am very interested in your study of the motorcycle engine.There was a lot of work involved in the Yamaha G4 i think it is called.We now have to make decisions as to the way forward.The goody goodies at the authorities are now faced with the reality that GA now faces a serious problem.I am not sure what colour the sky is in their world,and maybe it will suite them fine is GA is killed in this country.This should not deter us from investigating new options.This is our country,our land and our airspace as well.I am sick and tired of the ANC and this goverment.We will have to straighten our backs and fight for what we believe in.Even my mother tongue is under severe threat.I now have to talk to you in a foreign language.the language of our suppressors,for this country which we fought and died for.
If there is any way in which i can help or assist you with development of an alternative please dont hesitate to ask me.
And by the way,should any SACAA official enter my hanger or my airplane WITHOUT MY PERMISSION,be prepared for a lot of physical activety.THIS IS A WARNING.i Hanger at HANGER 1 RHINO PARK.'Francois Strydom 078 267 6145

greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by greg vos » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 pm

fransstrydom wrote:The system works as follows.See what is happening at ESCOM.The energy regulator refused to allow the additional increase in tariffs.They are not finding it easy to borrow money internationally because they want to decide how this monies is to be spend,mainly paying for salaries for the fat cats.ESCOM also refuses to cut jobs.This is now the latest definition of a decent job,you have nothing to do but you are being paid to just go to work,er excuse me,you don't even have to go to work,just be on the payroll.Same thing with SACAA eventually.You must understand that presently SACAA is run by middle management,or what is left over of the system before the ANC took over managment seriously.What they didnt realise was that this was not just another parastatel to take over and help themselves to BBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEE.This parastatel is also regulated by international laws,hence the new management ar CAA every morning.
I am very interested in your study of the motorcycle engine.There was a lot of work involved in the Yamaha G4 i think it is called.We now have to make decisions as to the way forward.The goody goodies at the authorities are now faced with the reality that GA now faces a serious problem.I am not sure what colour the sky is in their world,and maybe it will suite them fine is GA is killed in this country.This should not deter us from investigating new options.This is our country,our land and our airspace as well.I am sick and tired of the ANC and this goverment.We will have to straighten our backs and fight for what we believe in.Even my mother tongue is under severe threat.I now have to talk to you in a foreign language.the language of our suppressors,for this country which we fought and died for.
If there is any way in which i can help or assist you with development of an alternative please dont hesitate to ask me.
And by the way,should any SACAA official enter my hanger or my airplane WITHOUT MY PERMISSION,be prepared for a lot of physical activety.THIS IS A WARNING.i Hanger at HANGER 1 RHINO PARK.'Francois Strydom 078 267 6145

Frans I appreciate your frustration, however we need to respect the governing body and we need to stand as a group armed with fact, we need to mobilse via the tools we have (SAGPA / Aeroclub / RAASA) chasing a person will not pave the way fwd for yourself or any other owner/pilot. (if anything it will only bring you unwanted attention)
Yes Commet have a interesting policy, seems they are having it all there way? Rotax Australia will not entertain any communication with parties unless it goes through Commet, Commet want to protect there revenue stream, the SACAA are in fact protecting themselves by adhering to the recommendations made by Rotax, it will be hard for them to approve maintenance intervals beyond what manufacturers suggest.
What we need is to investigate what is understood by experimental and owner built/maintained and the issue of ATF? we are held at gun point with possibly not getting a new ATF if the engine does not meet certain components replacement at certain times.
I could almost understand that reg if it were aimed at ATO's because the craft are being used for training and a income stream? (ie: a commercial operation, similarly one rents a car from a reputable rental agency we expect the vehicle to be roadworthy) but suggesting to a Rotax owner who has say 700 hours on a 10 year old unit must now purchase a crank is madness, because its not just the crank it will be a complete rebuild and in some cases the crank case halves will need replacement as well. (some 200K+ later)

One thing for sure we are all looking at alternative power for our toys, BUT the ATF thing is where we will find trouble if we do not do it right, the question is, the men who are voted inn at SAGP/ RAASA / and Aeroclub, who are supposed to fight our cause, are they equipped mentally and are they educated sufficiently and do they have the drive or the balls to do the job? I feel some of them are just titles.

Must admit when I was at Midrand a few days ago in the foyer of SA CAA I did feel like a Rhino in the crosshairs of a poachers rifle, with me having an Afrikaans name and as far as they eye could see i was the only whitie :wink:
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 am

The aeroclub was nowhere to be seen when Glen Meyer and Anthony Cohan were dragged through court.They are supposed to have insurance to cover cases like this.Even though Glen was aquited he had to pay al his court expenses and lawyers.He lost his house because of that.Prior to that he invested his pension in a bussiness called Microflight Aviation,with Andre Maartens,Braam Hechter an 2 others.That venture folded and they all lost their money.SAGPA concerns themselves with the first aid kit and selecting a new committee.Aerclub nowhere to be seen.
If i can make a suggestion here.Why cant RAASA send you your ATF by e mail.The owner can then have the sticker printed and apply it on the aircraft.This sticker confirms that your aircraft is valid,but also that the AP confirms that all the items presently on the ramp inspection list is also valid.If we can get rid of the stupid fire extinguisher,first aid kit we don't need ramp inspections.
Francois Strydom 067 267 6145

greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by greg vos » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:25 am

RAASA do issue ATF but will only do it once an AP has done all the paperwork and very important stuff, like confirm your Aeroclub fees are up to date and confirm your radio station licence is up to date...essentially things that RAASA and CAA should do? not a person who is compensated for his / her technical ability IMHO

As an aircraft owner and a person who demonstrates technical ability I should be able to complete the simple checks an AP does to get an ATF? after all if one were to build an aircraft from a kit we would then be considered an AP?

The system needs a bit of work, but the voice we need,,, SAGPA / RAASA and Aeroclub are silent :( but I suppose they need jobs to meet commitments and cant rock the boat.

But soon people will just fly and risk a fine, I risk a fine every single day when I drive with speed enforcement around every hidden corner that has nothing to do with road safty :evil: so my attitude is F*((%ck the traffic authorities, just drive...this attitude will permeate into GA soon if the regulating bodies dont step in and do what is needed.
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:04 pm

That is the price you pay for over regulation.But fear not,within the next few years we will look like any other African state.Only the whities will be regulated though.Time for civil disobedience.Stop paying taxes.I wonder if Bobby paid his fuel account for fuel delivered by the ANC goverment.

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Just some feedback as to the Sycamore testbed for the Subaru ea81.There is some sort of a rotor problem,but apparently a different set will be picked up in Pretoria this weekend.Test pilot is a working man and can only fly over weekend mainly.Will keep you posted though.
Scary Pilot

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Greg,
the aeroclub and SAGPA electorate do not get paid and as far as i know they work there voluntarily.These are people that have day jobs etc,and therefore their time is limited.They will take the road of least resistance,not a good situation
SUGGESTION
Since the inception of ARO'S the game has changed.What is supposed to be happening is that the ARO'S should now stand up and regulate their own domains.They should be making and changing laws,not the CAA.This is not happening,laws are still the baby of the CAA,and SAGPA is stil concerning themselves with the expiry date of the rennies in your first aid kit.
SUGGESTION
hypothetically
Tomorow we start as if there is no legislation for NTCA aircraft
We have a blank sheet but we want to create new laws,for some reason we feel a need for it.
The ARO'S now consult their members as to what to do.Now there are some basic things on which we all will agree.
1)You will have a valid pilots license
2)You will have a valid medical
3).......n
The members will discuss this and eventually new laws will be put in place,.with the approval of CAA.Not the way the ANC does it,they implement a law and then see what sort of reaction they get,recently displayed with the transponder issue.Now it is a battle to undo,and yes,thank you Aeroclub.
If it was the intention with the ARO'S that we regulate ourselves we must make the laws,else they could have left the system as it was,and then SAGPA as an ARO has no power.
It would be interesting to hold a pole on this and see how the members feel about it.
I find it extremely difficult to express myself correctly about this without looking like an idiot.Bear with me please.
Francois Strydom

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Post by fransstrydom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:15 am

The past week i entered the chicken coup a la Nkhandla.I fired from the hip.Sorry for hijacking your engine thread Nacho.
Next week i will write a summery of what was said in a more structured way and post it under a new topic

John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Post by John Boucher » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:12 pm

I'll create a new section tomorrow...

Section under GENERAL - POWERPLANTS
Rotax
UL Power
Jabiru
Lycoming
Suzuki