Warm Fronts

MET Eish ja!
MILO
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Warm Fronts

Postby MILO » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Do we get warm fronts in SA? I have only ever seen cold fronts on the weather forecasts. (I am expecting one or two smart answers to this one).
If you can fly today - leave everything else for tomorrow
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Warm Fronts

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Yes, you do get warm fronts ! But because we live in a "warm" country, we are only supposed to be warned when it is going to become cold. Warm fronts are not much more (in general) than rain and clouds arriving.

A warm front is obviously the opposite of a cold front. Warm fronts move much slower, normally brings rain or fog and bad flying weather. It predicts turbulence in general and is followed by good flying weather once it has passed. Cold fronts could pass within hours whilst warm fronts could take days to move through.

Cold fronts wedge underneath warmer air as it moves in, but warm fronts wedges over the cooler air as it moves in and starts with high clouds developing. As it slowly moves in with cirrus clouds, it gradually changing to stratus to nimbus to possibly rain.

On weather reports cold fronts are indicated as a solid line with little triangle stuck to the line. Warm fronts are the same but the triangles are replaced with solid semi-circles.
(I am expecting one or two smart answers to this one).

Now for the smart answer: A woman is a cold front but turns into a warm front once a month. ## Nou gaan Blue Eagle my moer !! Sorry M'am. ($$)
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Yes, you do get warm fronts ! But because we live in a "warm" country, we are only supposed to be warned when it is going to become cold. Warm fronts are not much more (in general) than rain and clouds arriving.

A warm front is obviously the opposite of a cold front. Warm fronts move much slower, normally brings rain or fog and bad flying weather. It predicts turbulence in general and is followed by good flying weather once it has passed. Cold fronts could pass within hours whilst warm fronts could take days to move through.

Cold fronts wedge underneath warmer air as it moves in, but warm fronts wedges over the cooler air as it moves in and starts with high clouds developing. As it slowly moves in with cirrus clouds, it gradually changing to stratus to nimbus to possibly rain.

On weather reports cold fronts are indicated as a solid line with little triangle stuck to the line. Warm fronts are the same but the triangles are replaced with solid semi-circles.
(I am expecting one or two smart answers to this one).

Now for the smart answer: A woman is a cold front but turns into a warm front once a month. ## Nou gaan Blue Eagle my moer !! Sorry M'am. ($$)
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
davidmikky
Slow starter

Postby davidmikky » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:26 pm

If you can fly today - leave everything else for tomorrow ##
.......Em Crazy..........
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:35 pm

Could these heavy winds be due to a warm front or is this just the delayed August winds pulling through :?:

Wx been really dodgy these couple months ##

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby rcbgreen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Agree with you there. Really struggling to find decent weather, according to Windguru I should be happy as according to the App it's been the best Kite surfing weather every. I just took the wrong sport up. I see it should be good tomorrow morning early.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:00 am

Yeah, kite surfers and sail kart peeps are loving it ##

This morning really looks good, I am hoping tomorrow morning early will give us a gap as it seems wind will be pumping over 20mph tomorrow (**)

Check out below..I used our area which is Tarlton...Orient is across the road ##

<*>
Attachments
Accuweather.JPG
Accuweather
Windfinder.JPG
Windfinder
Wunderground.JPG
Wunderground
yr.no.JPG
yr.no
yr.no.JPG (42.06 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby rcbgreen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:48 am

Yup, managed to fly this morning and while I did a touch and go at Klip, two more trikes were warming up. It was actually cold in the air and I was glad I had a flight suit on. Next week looks good - finally. See you use the same programs as me to get an idea of weather. Also like the METAR and TAF from OR as they give me an idea of what the wind is like 500ft above me. The METAR is also actual conditions on the hour so a nice check.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:48 am

Morning,

Yeah, wx seems to be improving ##

This coming Sunday arvie is going to be a beaut =D*

I love checking the different site and getting an average, will definately check out the METAR and TAF from OR, really helps when you know the conditions :-D

Last Sunday afternoon, two of us took off from Crosswinds and routed to Bara, its was nice and warm so we flew in shorts and t.Coming back it was warm with a 10mph tailwind and less than 10 miles out from Crosswinds we hit some turbulence which I found strange for that time of the arvie, next thing it's cold with a 10 mph headwind.So I guess the turbulence was due to the warm and cold air colliding as after the little turbulence it was smooth again ##

(^^)
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Gee whiz What is up with our weather this wind has been blowing non stop since Friday @ not less than 10 knts :evil:
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Came across this site ##

https://weatherspark.com

s023