What route would you regulars suggest?

I was thinking something like this:
Map.jpg

Google Earth pic:

Much appreciated
Ant
Attachments
Plan.jpg
Last edited by Loco on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Advice please: Rhino <-> Harties

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Forgot to add I will take an extra can of 20l on the back seat, should be more than enough fuel no?
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Your leg from N14/R55 to Coves is taking you slab bang over the Lanseria Tower!! Don't think they are going to be impressed.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Air Hog wrote:Your leg from N14/R55 to Coves is taking you slab bang over the Lanseria Tower!! Don't think they are going to be impressed.
Hi Johan sorry you 100% sure?

I checked on my map and it looks OK, I'm not going through FALA CTR just under their TMA?
trike 2012-09-15 002.jpg
Cheers
Ant
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Most VFR traffic route around Lanseria CTR via the Kyalami / Sandton VFR route. You would have to backtrack to Kroon after Coves, and maybe route Kyalami (Red & white radio mast to Gerrotek race course to Attridgeville quarry to Kyalami racetrack), but join Pinedene route where that route intersects more or less at the N14/R55 interchange. Alternately, you'll have to route back the way you came via Magalies Ridge, but you'll have to talk to Waterkloof ATC to get clearance to go through.

I've plotted this course myself, but have never flown it. Anyone flown this route who can further advise?
Plane-less
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Oh so is one not advised (or not allowed) to cross the ridge directly from Coves to Aeroden?

And what would be the most scenic route while still hopefully going via Coves, Aeroden & Aviators Paradise?
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 pm

anthonyhugo wrote:Oh so is one not advised (or not allowed) to cross the ridge directly from Coves to Aeroden?

And what would be the most scenic route while still hopefully going via Coves, Aeroden & Aviators Paradise?
Not sure Ant. I just know what's commonly used as I regularly listen to Special Rules West frequency which covers the area near my house.
John.com should know more, as he's been to Coves and knows the routes.
Plane-less
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Cool yeah it would be great to hear from the experienced pilots who fly that area regularly

Would be cool to route over the dam wall to get on the north side of the ridge but not sure how safe / legal that is (engine out there would be very bad news it seems) - one of the reasons I made the route from field -> field
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Oh, also check the AIC's on the CAA website. I think Lanseria amended their CTR boundries recently if I'm not mistaken.
Plane-less
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm

D2O wrote:Oh, also check the AIC's on the CAA website. I think Lanseria amended their CTR boundries recently if I'm not mistaken.
OK cool, I downloaded the latest map from AirnavPro recently hope it's up to date...

See: viewtopic.php?p=187086
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Howdy Ant, send you a Pm - drop me a line if you have some time please ...
RV9
DISH
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Dish wrote:Howdy Ant, send you a Pm - drop me a line if you have some time please ...
Very nice chatting to you Dish:
- Never cross the ridge via dam wall
- Aviators Paradise has fuel very nice!
- Trying to find "kommandonek" better place to cross the ridge

(^^)
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Those in the know, how hectic is the turbulence when crossing the ridge at my proposed location?

What I can remember from the 1'st Microland files that Roel presented: if the wind is blowing north then landing at Aeroden, Aviators Paradise & Kroon will be hectic?

And this routing seems much more scenic & I'll be avoiding FAP64 (Pelindaba Nuclear Energy Plant NO-Fly zone):
- N14/R55 interchange
- Gerotek Test Track (S 25 45 30.00 E 28 0 26)
- The Coves

Basically follow the southern side of the dam to The Coves:
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:40 pm

anthonyhugo wrote:Those in the know, how hectic is the turbulence when crossing the ridge at my proposed location?

What I can remember from the 1'st Microland files that Roel presented: if the wind is blowing north then landing at Aeroden, Aviators Paradise & Kroon will be hectic?
We fly this area all the time and there are certainly a couple of things to keep in mind.

Firstly, yes, you are right, if a northerly is blowing you will get bounced on the leeward (southern) side of the Magaliesberg. The wind speed, particularly at 1000ft AGL, will determine the degree to which you will get bounced (read: size of rotor). So the trick here is to check the weather charts for Aeroden on the morning of your flight http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=395350. If the winds aloft are less than 10 knots (white or light blue on the Windguru chart) you are good to go over the top!
When to Fly the Magalies.jpg
What I do more often than not when flying over from the area of The Coves to Aeroden, is I sneak through the nek directly in front of The Coves 36 (on Google Earth it is identified by the silica quarry just to the north of the mountain). The northerly wind tends to funnel a little through the nek but you trade a little more head-wind speed for having to climb over the top and getting bounced in the process!
Coves to Aeroden.jpg
My rule of thumb for flying the Magaliesberg is this: If the winds aloft are 20 knots or above I steer well clear of them mountains AND the rotor areas alongside them!!

Question: Do I ever climb the 1.8 x the mountain height to get over the Magaliesberg? Answer: Again, depending on the winds aloft being less than 20 knots, the answer is NO! There are MANY times in close to zero wind conditions that I have snuck over the top with 200ft to spare, ALWAYS taking the approach to the mountain at 45 degrees to prepare for a breakaway in the event of an engine-out.

It is important to note that the profile of the Magaliesberg is a 1:5 - 1:8 slope of the NORTH face and a VERTICAL drop on the SOUTH face. The reason why I mention this is that on the north side if you needed to glide, your trike glide ratio would out-perform the mountain slope, as long as you INITIALLY had some distance between you and the mountain to allow you to pull in and get your flying speed up for the glide.

Oh yes, a final point . . . . if a healthy southerly is blowing you will experience the effects of rotors at Aeroden!!! Basie calls them 'Goggas'! Look sharp! ## ##

On my return from a flight I ALWAYS SMS the weather station at Aeroden to check the wind speed and direction before landing! For an instant weather report from Aeroden Weather Station (25°43'30.17"S 27°44'23.90"E): SMS "AD" to 36010 (Cost R5 - free SMS do not apply)

I hope that this helps! (^^)

Ant: Let me know when you are planning on coming over and I will gladly walk you through some mountain flying! :wink:
Last edited by John.com on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Ant, also just remember you have to go AROUND the top of the FAWB CTR! :shock:

I flew it on Saturday into a headwind to get to Rhino Park . . . . it was L-O-N-G and S-L-O-W!!!

(^^)
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"