Crosswind radio call at an unmanned airfield

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Crosswind radio call at an unmanned airfield

Postby D2O » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:41 pm

From a topic on Avcom:
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 5&start=15

I cannot find any reason why crosswind should be called on the radio in a circuit, whether after takeoff or when joining the circuit, but yet so many are doing it. ANC right?
It is not called when turning crosswind after takeoff, and should also not be called when joining the circuit, and I have checked Dietland Lempp's Pilot's Radio Handbook (Edition 14, pg 95, Section 8.10.2 last paragraph) for reference. It is NOT in the radio procedures, so it's an unnecessary call especially in a busy circuit. Am I right, or am I wrong?
Comments?
Plane-less
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Crosswind radio call at an unmanned airfield

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 pm

The only time I would think it relative is if someone does not have you visual and asks your position or location and if you had just turned after take-off, you would say 'turning, or just turned crosswind'

Often, a faster aerrie might call base or finals but still a few miles out, so if knowing that you're nearly established for take-off but not within sight might offer you to take off but like to confirm your position before he establishes final descent.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
RV12
Survived second engine out

Postby RV12 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:16 am

D2O wrote:so it's an unnecessary call especially in a busy circuit. Am I right, or am I wrong?
Comments?
It is unnecessary especially in a quiet circuit (at an unmanned airfield). In any (especially busy) unmanned circuit, the pilot must decide whether making this call will add to safety. I seldom make a crosswind call but the PIC must decide on this. Please note that it is not a "standard" call, like the downwind call.
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:24 pm

while on this subject does any one know what 'rolling' means?...cant find reference to it in my books or recall it in my past training? seems that some feel its mandatory to call rolling when they TO..after calling lining up and communicating there intentions as they enter the threshold WHY?
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
RV12

Postby RV12 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:34 pm

greg vos wrote:while on this subject does any one know what 'rolling' means?...cant find reference to it in my books or recall it in my past training? seems that some feel its mandatory to call rolling when they TO..after calling lining up and communicating there intentions as they enter the threshold WHY?
Moving or taking off (not in the air yet, though).
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:39 pm

RV12 wrote:
greg vos wrote:while on this subject does any one know what 'rolling' means?...cant find reference to it in my books or recall it in my past training? seems that some feel its mandatory to call rolling when they TO..after calling lining up and communicating there intentions as they enter the threshold WHY?
Moving or taking off (not in the air yet, though).
(^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:15 pm

I see...so just a bad habit then :wink: not a necessary RT call (^^) VFR from what I understand is not to be saying too much?
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot