Compass Swing

Post your aviation law questions and queries here and forum members who work at the various bodies can answer them
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Compass Swing

Postby KFA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm

The other day I had to go buy a blob of steel to stick on the dash of a LSA airplane because I was told that a electronic compass is not good enough. My question still remains unanswered. Why can you fly IF with the supplied Efis with all the bells and whistles in a glass cocpit environment but CAA wont accept the electronic compass as it may fail?
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Goffel
Pre flight checks done

Postby Goffel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:25 am

"A blob of steel"................who told you to buy this and install it in your aircraft.......please give the name of this person.

A magentic compass is required to be fitted.....this uses a flux detector to align itself..............If you use an electronic compass, it must then have a flux detector sensor to align itself with the earth.....if it has this sensor, then there is no problem.

Goffel.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:11 pm

How often must compass swing be done. Some folks say annual some folks say every 5 years?
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Howzit Goffel,
ya was a good friend of mine so no names but the magnotometer installed was a very expensive high quality one that calibrates and alligns itself when you first install it and needs no maintenance or calibration thereafter. In the lap and pyp aeries we install them in the wingtips. Another question is how do you now fill in the logbook?
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success