Reilly's RV 12

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Reilly's RV 12

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 pm

I think Alans' one, built by robin Coss, has flown already. It was up for sale.
Byron Kirkland
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Ok, the builder took a break but is back on track now (^^)

A tip for new builders - its a bad idea to take a break. I finished the empenage kit in about mid Dec and decided to take a few weeks off building to get other household stuff done, holiday etc etc. Well the thing is before you know it a few weeks becomes a few months.

Anyway for those that are interested, I spent time last weekend getting my workshop back in order and cleaned up. Unpacked the wing kit. Got the plans out and have made a start. Will post some picks when I have something meaningful to show.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Thought that you had given up Reilly (or just stopped posting). Please post some pics of your progress.

I have the XL on her wheels if you are interested in popping round at some time. James
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon May 24, 2010 9:02 am

About Bladdy time Thatchman :twisted: :twisted:

Get your Butt in Gear and get that Baby finished. ## ## ##
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Mon May 24, 2010 10:41 am

Ja I am trying Bru but time is just a bitch. I am training 9 times a week for triathlon, have to work, watch the kids sport, play golf, do shit around the house, play with the dogs, find 2 mins for the wife etc etc. ## ## ##

Have not even flown the GT in a month.

But worked on it Fri night and some on Sat morning so will post some progress soon. :)

ZU - forePLaY
cmm
Signed up at flight school

Postby cmm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

I was once told that 75% of projects are never complete by the original owner/buyer. The excitement of building a plane get worn off very quickly and the project stalls for a number of years until someone sees the potential and take over. The RV12 is still a nice project and worth more complete rather than gathering dust in someone’s garage. (**) ##
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

We actually built a bit last night... Contact thatch for details....
RV9
DISH
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:29 am

CMM am sure that the stats are correct or maybe even higher.

I have always said that I am building the plane because I want to build it and not because I need something to fly. I build for the fun and relaxation and have no pressure to finish by a certain date. First year I spent 180 hours building. Last year I decided to do the ironman and spent at least 600 hours training. This did not leave time for much else and I flew less, saw my mates less and only spent 20 hrs on the RV.

Completed ironman in April and have since spent about 25 hrs on the RV in amongst financial year end at work, more flying, more time with mates, family etc.

So its back on track and hopefully will never contribute to the stats that you mention. Looking to bring in the finishing kit with the current exchange rates under R7. (my first three kits were at R10.30 to the $ - ouch)

Will post some pics soon and anyone interested in coming over to have a look,beer and talk shait is more than welcome.

ZU - forePLaY
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 am

"leave time for much else and I flew less, saw my mates less and only spent 20 hrs on the RV." - YAAA NEVER SAW HIS MATES !!!!!!

"Completed ironman in April" and now has the tattoo to prove it !!!!

" anyone interested in coming over to have a look,beer and talk shait is more than welcome." - will have to clear that with me first, since i am self appointed partner in the project, head quality controller, head barman and as of wednesday , head BILTONG tasting quality controller - Trues bob. the thatch actually makes some KICK ASS homemade biltong....

and lastly - for anyone who doesnt understand the nickname thatch, congrats on the new LAPA booi, will sink many many ice cold ones under that thatch in summer !!!!
RV9
DISH
cmm
Signed up at flight school

Postby cmm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Glad to hear the project is on a roll again. puff I know of at least 3 other RV12 builders that shows gradual progress. It will be nice to see the RV12 fleet in SA grow.
Will post some pics soon and anyone interested in coming over to have a look,beer and talk shait is more than welcome.
Let us know when you plan an open day! (^^)
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Just an update, will post pics soon.

Wings progressing well. Both wing skeletons done with ribs, stub spars and rear spars fitted and riveted.

Man, the hours of deburring ribs was a pain in the arse ## ##

The rib fittment was also very confusing. All nose and main ribs start out looking the same but half marked "left" and half marked "right". Then some get aft trimmed and some get forward trimmed. Some get nutplates attached.
Then they get attached in a specific order. Most "right" ribs go on the left wing and visa versa - go figure :?:

Now if I knew that left and right did not refer to left and right wing............but flanges facing to the left and right. (**) (**)
And if I knew that Forward and aft meant........... (**) F$@%$# it
And then if the plans just stated "attach main ribs to the inboard side of the attach angles"......F#$@#@ it again.

I had to drill out over 100 rivets. F%$@# it some more. Whilst I am gaining experience as a builder, let me tell you I am a F#$@%ing good driller outer of rivets - just one new rib on order from Vans. Man, who said read the plans 3 times and do it once? - KAK. Read the plans 5 times, check the diagrams 5 times, cleco it on. Check it out, read the F^%$#ing plan again - then rivet. Took me 5 hours on Sat to sort this out.

Anyway all good. Busy with stall warning device currently (am i allowed to say "currently" here, oh ja this is not avcom). Then will finish flaperon skeleton before getting inspection and skining.

ZU - forePLaY
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Know the feeling Thatch but at least they are pop rivets as drilling out solid rivets would be more of an arse. I have also become quite proficient at drilling out pop rivets! :roll: any pics?
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am

Ok as promised the updated pics.

The tailcome was actually completed some time back but no pics posted. This completed the empenage kit comprosing of the vertical and horizontal stabilisers, rudder, trim tabs and the tailcone.
Attachments
IMG_0295.JPG
Tailcone complete
IMG_0298.JPG

ZU - forePLaY
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

I finished the empenage in Dec 2009 and between then and mid April this year I only put in about 20 hours on the wings. ## ## ##

The main spars for the RV12 come basically complete (being structurally critical to the plane) and most of the work done was to manufacture and fit attach angles to the main spar for the main and nose ribs to fasten to.

During this time I also completed the work on the rear wing spars and stub spars for both wings.

SC card with those pics is temporarily misplaced (hopefully) so no pics on the spars

ZU - forePLaY
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 am

Working on the wing ribs is a painfull and boring job. There are 54 ribs

Firstly all of Vans alluminium parts come covered on both sides in this blue plastic for protection. It is a ball-ache to remove and also wastes a lot of time but hey what can one do.

Once the plastic is off, deburr all edges and holes including the lightening holes. Here the right tools can make it a lot easier. As I mentioned before many of the ribs get trimmed in different places as well.

Then all ribs have to get fluted which is to crimp the flange in the right places by the right amount in order to get them to a straight position. The main ribs were a lot easier than the nose ribs but one does get the hang of it after a while. Also need to make sure that the flanges are at 90 degrees. This will ensure that you minimise the dents when it is skinned.

Lastly I have primed the mating edges. This is not necessary as the 1024 alu is alclad but it is just an additional anti-corrosive measure.
Attachments
IMG_0256 (2).JPG
un-prepped nose ribs
IMG_0258 (2).JPG
Completed nose ribs

ZU - forePLaY