Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Re: Bushbaby Explorer # 130

Postby AndyCAP » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Looking very nice Nico! (^^)

How do you plan to attach the bonnet? Looks like a very nice idea and will allow you to thoroughly inspect during preflight and even perform minor maintenance without removing the cowl. :mrgreen:

What is that fuselage next to your BB?
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Thu May 28, 2009 6:01 pm

How is this project going??
Looking forward to seeing the final results! vhpy
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 am

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words and interest.

The progress tok a back burner while I went to Moz with the Pano guys, what an awsome trip.
Lost this weekend as I had a long term appointment with an Impala and my 15 year old son. Very successfull.

This weekend will see most of the painting done and then final assembly starts.
There is a hick-up with the exhaust. Now fitted, it hangs skew and is too close to water hoses.
The pipes have to be remade and this involves renting a trailer and taking it in for remedial work, and some more lost time.

Will post some pics soon.

Regards.
nico
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Hallo Nico, het jy al die ander aste gefit? Ek het nou regtig die ander 2 wat jy moet terugstuur, BAIE nodig? Purtty please man. vhpy :wink:
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 am

Hi Boet.

We fitted the axels and spacers Peter had turned, but not fitted the brake system yet to test.

I will speak to the postman today and see if he will trot down to you with the old axel's.

Regards,

Nico
nico
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks! vhpy
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm

How frustrated / dissapointed may I be?

On Friday 7th August my documents were sent to the CAA for authority for proving flights.

I was told to collect before 15:00 as they clock off that time.

I tried to phone many a time, but when finally on my way and I could see midrand, the traffic was a dead stop. No chance of getting there on time, turned around and went home.
Well, this Friday I made it only to be told that I would not be flying as according to their records, ZU-LLV does not exist.
Never mind that I have a build number, they cant find a file, never mind that I have paid handsomely for the registration, nothing shows up on their computer, never mind that I have proof of payment for the registration and I saw a wad of docs [ applictaion for provong flight ] nothing could be done for me in order to do the first flight.

I spent a good part of Saturday doing high speed runs. I am amazed at how quickly the tail comes up at half throttle and how light she becomes at about 35Mph, she wants to fly.

The torque is fantastic, at 4800 rpm with the powerfin, she climbs over the chocks against full brakes, guess I need bigger chocks.

I do find that the temperatures are/might be a problem. When the oil temps finally go up into the green, the CHT temps go into the yellow.
I'm told that this is ok and is due to low ground speeds and insufficient flow through the radiator to cool properly.
Any comments??!!

Will be posting some pics soon, but CAA and weather related, she will fly this coming weekend.
nico
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 am

Dusty Eagle wrote:I do find that the temperatures are/might be a problem. When the oil temps finally go up into the green, the CHT temps go into the yellow.
I'm told that this is ok and is due to low ground speeds and insufficient flow through the radiator to cool properly.
Any comments??!
Watch these very carefully. Where is the radiator installed? At the back against the firewall? I originally had mine installed there and I had major overheating problems. Could not get it to cool properly, even with ducts and plates and ......

Eventually I moved it up front and viola, perfect cooling. I had to build a mounting frame around the motor, that is fastened to the engine mount on the firewall to protect the radiator/oilcooler from the engine vibration, especially during the stopping.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7043

Page 10
Greg Perkins
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Morph.

Yes, the radiator is mounted where you had problems.
If the pics were yours, I saw the brackets you describe.
I have been assured that my installation will be fine and that when she flies all temps will be normal.
I am worried though as the water temp goes into the yellow when the oil temp gets into the bottom of the green. This precludes any prolonged ground running.

I wonder if moving the oil cooler away from the prop blast and mount it near the radiator and fit a small coolant radiator in its place in line with the main one will do the job, or am I jumping the gun, the engines tight, the number of run ups have been few.

Comments from other 912 Explorer builders would be welcome.

Regards,

Nico
nico
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi Nico, I sent you some pic's of Rick's installation. It's basically the same as yours
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Hallo Nico, congratiolations on the completion of your project. I hope that your BB Explorer will give you many years of enjoyable safe flying. The cooling system is not designed for long ground operation. Once you heve it up and flying you should not have a problem. Hope you can get your "pepper" woes sorted out this week!! (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
WE WANT PICTURE!! vhpy
skyvan
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby skyvan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Nico,

You have done really well, you picked up the kit from my place only 20 months ago, and it's ready to fly already!

Well done, I am really pleased that the plane will fly soon.

Best regards,
Ant.
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 am

Hi Ant.

Nice to hear from you.

I procrastinated for a while deciding exactly what to do, then we started in October when I had all the bits and pieces together, instruments etc.

The last month or two, the last 90% has gone very slowly in trying to sort out radio interference.
The gyro and fuel flow created huge noises, but at MGL's assistance, we removed the power supply from the wiring harness and ran seperate power, and the noise was gone.

The taxi runs are incredible. I start at the bottom of my runway which has a 14m incline up over 525m and bleed in the power to less than half throttle. She accelerates like a scalded cat, lifts her tail in no time and then I throttle back to keep her from becoming airborne.
I havent tried OupaG's trick in lifting the tail, will see.

Will be posting pics tomorrow latest.

Regards,

Nico
nico
Massimo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Massimo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:56 am

Hi Nico,

Congratulation (^^) (^^) . I flew over your place about a week ago a saw a bushbaby in the yard, i should have landed and had a closer look. Come on post those pics.
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 am

Hi Nico

Good to hear the Bush Baby is Finished.

I must appologise to all and sundry - :oops: I was supposed to give Nico some training on how to post pics here but i just have not had the time. :oops:
I will make some time soon and get to him and then we will get some pics up ASAP :oops:

Tailspin.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members