New Airplane Seen

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: New Airplane Seen

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:49 pm

What does the current canopy do?. Tip back?. I kind of liked the sharp lines on the cowling....
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
aircraftworx
Signed up at flight school

Postby aircraftworx » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Construction will be hole-matched, with the holes exactly to size (I think only the RV12 has exact holes). Unfortunately, all my detailed construction photo's were taken before we have started our matched hole approach. As we build the production prototype we will take lots of photos and time the construction more carefully. The matched hole approach also elliminates all jigs except for a very simple jig (also supplied) that ensures accurate wing twist.

The canopy on this plane has swing arms hinged just behind pilot/pax's shoulders, while the top rear centre of the canopy slides along a rail. The canopy takes on a rather low profile when fully opened. This allows visibility as good as any other "bubble", without the risk of a sudden gust removing your open canopy (we've had the canopy open while the engine was tested to 100%)
Attachments
untitled10.JPG
untitled10.JPG (61.92 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
No wonder she flies like a dream, she's built with one!
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:21 pm

That is nice. Why change it to the production model?. Simpler? cost saving?.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:14 am

Tis a thing of beauty, I really like the look of this aerie. (^^)
Simon
Student Pilot
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 am

Stephan van Tonder wrote:That is nice. Why change it to the production model?. Simpler? cost saving?.
It gets really hot in there during taxi and powerchecks. Sliding canopy is also less of a danger if a latch comes loose.

But I will also miss the visibility of a clean bubble...
swiftprop
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby swiftprop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi Aircraftworx
Congratulations for developing a new SA aircraft. Just think (I'm sure you have) about the possibilities: Rasonably priced for the local market and a REAL bargain at export prices to the States etc. Good luck!
Andre
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 am

I know a winner when I see one. I really like the look of this aeroplane. As a "broeksegat" engineer, I know when it LOOKS right, it WILL fly right. This one looks right..... The cowling looks like an angry face, aggressive!! :evil: Congrats to Mike and his team. (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (-)
I would call this one the "Eagle".... vhpy
sparkyspider
Slow starter

Postby sparkyspider » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:Steven Roe is also involved with it. Basically designed for the LSA class. They are talking kits of around R160k odd. All metal.
This means I could afford my own supercool plane. That's awesome. Wanted a MCR01 (with Rotax) looks like it'll cost about R 1 200 000 to put together.
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 pm

aircraftworx wrote:Ok, it is still not 100% official, but here are the prices:

Kit (everything excl. engine, prop and instruments): R230k
Ready to fly (912ULS, basic prop, one MGL Voyager EFIS, no ballistic 'chute) R600k

Some changes to appear on the production planes: sliding canopy and a more rounded engine cowl.

Weather permitting, we will be at the field on Saturday morning (Hangar 34, Springs), anyone who would like to take a closer look or have some questions is welcome to stop by.
Will you have a web site up soon with specs, pics and prices?
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi FAWGie,

We do have a website in the pipeline, but all our attention at this time is on the test flying. As soon as we have decided on all the changes to be included or excluded from the production prototype, we will be in a position to publish some "official" specs and pictures on the web. As the article in the January edition of SA Flyer will point out: this is a development prototype only, but here is another picture taken recently.
Attachments
untitled14.JPG
untitled14.JPG (33.36 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
cap232
Pre flight checks done

Postby cap232 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm

Hallo manne, great job met die aerie, wens julle alle sukses en net die beste vlieg weer vir die toekoms. Waar source of laat maak julle die canopies? Sliding klink na n bakgat idee. Hier`s n idee vir n naam "Synergy: the final outcome is greater than the sum of its parts"
Andre
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 am

This particular canopy was made by John McKercher (also known as "Fluffy" in aviation circles around Petit). We supplied him with a welded steel frame which he used in his blowing process. Free blowing a canopy yields very good optics and a round shape as viewed from the front.
For a side-by-side seating configuration it is desirable to add a bit more of a bulge on the sides for the sake of headroom. We are in the process of making a pattern to produce such a shape.
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Any news about the website getting out of the pipeline?
aircraftworx

Postby aircraftworx » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 am

The basic structure of the website has been completed and we are filling in the gaps with appropriate text, images, specs etc. in between test flying and designing the production prototype! I guess we could have the website launched within the next two weeks, but it really depends on too many other factors to say for sure.
swiftprop
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby swiftprop » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:23 pm

All we can say is Baie Sterkte. You have many people watching what you are doing and waiting in anticipation of a Great Aircraft!