Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Got the painted engine mount back for the trike. The painting was done by Keith, 2K pack we do not like to have them powder coated because it can hide cracks.

I fitted the rubbers black at the bottom and softer blue at the top. When I fly I will let you know if it is a good idea.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
1200GS mount 1.jpg
1200GS mount 1.jpg (51.48 KiB) Viewed 29179 times
1200GS mount 2.jpg
1200GS mount 2.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 29179 times
1200GS mount 3.jpg
1200GS mount 3.jpg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 29179 times
Jimbo
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Jimbo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 pm

IMG00131-20120408-1235.jpg
IMG00131-20120408-1235.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 28896 times
VJX is presumably the machine Bandage referred to on page 99 of this thread.... Looking a little tatty unfortunately.

Took this pic today Easter Sunday while out for a drive down Main Reef Road. You can see it from Google Street View too, at 26 12'22.83" S & 27 58'52.05" E
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:11 pm

That is one of two that Carel van Aswegen built

thanks for the pic that is history.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm

En Oupa is so besig soos n een-been man op n gatskop kompetisie. Tyd vir niks. Eries staan dik onner die stof?? ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## Prioriteite weer helemaal sy gat gesien?? Dis seker maar hoekom hy dan nou so stil is?? Mmmmmm??
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 pm

As ek 9 uur die aand nog in die teater staan om gesigte te werk dan is my energie te min om nog in die werkswinkel te verdwyn maar daar word ten spyte gewoel kon net gisteraand nie my kamera kry nie die hang toe op sy plek. Sal weer begin skryf

cheers Oupa-G
doreen
Pre flight checks done

Postby doreen » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:29 am

Hi Oupa-G

May I ask your ignition curve for the R 1200. I am currently on 25deg BTDC with both ignitions firing the same time.( Too afraid to go more for now)

Charles
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Oupa is nog steeds baie besig? Spikes took these pictures of me flying the big man`s pride & joy a while back. Thanks for the trust, I feel honoured for the part I could play to help get this aeroplane off the ground. What a joy it is to fly this magnificent machine!! (^^) (^^) (^^)
Attachments
The OTT one.jpg
The OTT one.jpg (44.81 KiB) Viewed 28358 times
The OTT one 2.jpg
The OTT one 2.jpg (58.84 KiB) Viewed 28358 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue May 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi everybody sorry for being away for so long I have been doing a lot of work on the Vansin put better monitoring equipment in and also a new radio Icom 210 so both my aeries have the same radio. I'm preparing and servicing the plane for a long trip coming up Botswana Zambia Zim etc so everything must be checked all filters cleaned etc etc. Work has also been keeping me well occupied and the RedX is also eating my time

The question about timing it depends which 1200 GS you have there are various models if I remember correctly Charles your engine is the same vintage as mine you can happily run at 30degrees before TDC on the main system and the secondary on the lower plugs at 26 degrees. Under full power the engine wants to run on the main plug only it has to do with the flame burning and that burning should not be disturbed by the lower plug.

I have also been testing the sister ship to ZU-OTT the registration is ZU-HOG same colours etc. She has the 125 hp engine with higher compression and here we run 25 degrees BTC. You can feel the extra horses and she has the same prop as OTT but turns 400 rpm more and that is about 125 rpm more on the prop speed.

I have been flying OTT a lot and on the last fuel measurement I did 4 hobbs hrs on 60liters this included 15 take offs and landing the normal cruise was between 5600 and 5800 rpm and silk smooth. I think that the flywheel mods are good and I'm so happy that at this stage I do not want to change anything. I am making some more of the flywheel ad ons the local market has depleted all my stock I have made and I have had requests from overs the water as well. All the testing takes a lot of time. The 912 has now at last come up with what we have been playing with there budget was 13million Euro to do the mod. That puts our backyard workshop into perspective.

The new exhaust is very quiet and every flight is recorded on the MGL blackbox and that makes the fine tuning so much easier. When my last fuel run with the fuel level below 10liters on the tanks I again did a fuel flow test. She needs the Facet pumps to start the fuel flowin like a syphon but then the flow is 60l/hour per tank on free flowing. I however run my aerie with both tanks all the time I do not see the need for switching tanks and below 15 liters in the tanks I use the Facit pumps as well as for take off and landing.

I have received very nice mercury switches and I will make a float switch in the header tank for a final safety aspect. I still have to figure out a way for not creating a leak.

I post some photies tomorrow leaving for Botswana on the 31st of may

Cheers Oupa-G
doreen
Pre flight checks done

Postby doreen » Fri May 25, 2012 3:41 pm

dankie
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:08 pm

Have had a wonderful trip to Botswana and Zim Kariba etc getting all my ruffled feathers together flew the Bosvark not flying after almost a month she started first shot icey cold weather and she flew like a dream. Did some RedX flying and also did my annual medical and skills test for the instrument rating and ATP license. So I'm covered paper wise for another year. The exciting happening is that Donalds mini MX in carbon fibre sports a Lycoming the ignition and fuel injection is by EboXi Donald did beautiful plumbing he is a talented man. Ystervark adapted the software to run the four banger fourstroke.

She now starts well idles like a dream because we can retard the timing for idling where the normal Lycoming idles fully advanced.

Saturday is the day for fine tuning . The software will be tuned for max power in the top rev range and then lower in the rev range she will be tuned for cruise economy

The foties will follow and I'm back in the saddle.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:12 pm

properly back in the saddle. Tuned the Lycoming of Donald. It was a team effort Ystervark and myself we scratched our heads and finally got to figures to make the Lyc humm cold start hot start wait ten minutes and start then did the throttle snatch test and then the full power tests. The air was humid and the prop tips were making vaporization.The day was well spent and today Donald did a test hop of 180 seconds. He was interrupted by an oil leak but he said the engine was super smooth.

Today I down loaded the data from the Enigma and the EGT's from all cylinders are absolutely equal. The Ebox's were doing its thing very well and I must say that Ystervark has done a magnificent job on this piece of electronics. Tuning the Lyc was a slight difference then the BMW but we soon got the feel for it. During the weekend I still did some RedX flying all in all 6hrs all at night with 4 ILS'S trown into the deal. So I am IF and night current. But I lack sleep. Here are some foties.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
FJU.jpg
under the cowling
FJU.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 27695 times
FJU1.jpg
The Team
FJU1.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 27695 times
FJU2.jpg
the multi-million tuning equipment
FJU2.jpg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 27695 times
FJU3.jpg
Out for a taxi test
FJU3.jpg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 27695 times
FJU4.jpg
Donaald's smile says it all
FJU4.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 27695 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 pm

It has been a long time of no news but it does not mean we have not been busy. Every time I get to Morning Star I get reprimanded by Mike (Mic) and Ian. Mike built his own own Bushbaby and Ian has just replaced his h h h h h Hirth with a 80 horse Rotax and he is smiling. The Hirth gave Ian some serious experience in the replacing of cracked parts and he also touched up on his actual forced landing practice. Mike quietly is enjoying his 582 he flies his yellow machine very well. On the topic of colours there are the yellow supporters and the red supporters and then you also get the odd other colours like blue purple, but in my eyes yellow is the way to go we have a yellow Sling on the field it is stunning.

Meanwhile we are tuning the IO-235 eBoxi Lycoming. There is a net loss of weight the two mags and the big carb are heavier then a twin eBoxi system. The aircraft has flown when the aircraft picks up speed the ram air effect makes the Air more and the fuel is constant and the engine gives of soul inspiring backfires, this helps to make Donald confident and more relaxed in the cockpit. But every weekend there is another tuning session. The weather in Cape Town has not been helping but I can at least say that I'm very currant on ILS approaches.

On the topic of ideal mixtures a lot has been written on Lean of peak flying and the GAMI injectors which are matched to the induction system. Donalds induction system is equal length and the air is not warmed by the sump as is customary in other installations by Piper Cessna etc. Our EGT's are running within a few degrees of each other.

All-though the latest fashion is running lean of peak from a chemical flame point of view that exhaust flame is an oxidizing flame and that is why the old myth that a lean mixture burns valves is not a myth, some valve material can not cope with this oxidizing flame. The valve material on the Lycomings and Continental engines can cope but it remains an oxidizing flame. 100 F rich of peak EGT is best power it also give a reducing cooling flame. For Donalds aircraft he wants the power so on the rich side it will be. Just remember a cutting torch does its job with excess O2

The tuning of the Lycoming is very much different then the BMW the Lyc works with few revs lots of torque and for that she wants lots of fuel. In the end it is always grams of fuel / kilowatt / hour. When we run into trouble we call on Ystervark he is after all the Big Daddy and brains behind the eBoxi.

Because we retard the timing when idling she sound smooth slow idle 400 rpm is no problem and she sounds like an old farm LISTER diesel , their operating revs were 750 rpm. big flywheel and one piston.

I just have a few pictures I document all changes in the map with my camera easy documentation.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Donald1.jpg
Beautiful workmanship
Donald1.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 27491 times
Donald2.jpg
Just the way we document
Donald2.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 27491 times
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:42 am

Wow !

Real interesting, thanks for taking the time to post Oupa-G !

Cheers Ian
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Just a post. Time is really something I am short of. So many things are in my head and not enough time.Ian thanks for the comment. The problem I cannot just write I also need the comments so that I do not bore the readers.

I'm of tonight to George the weather is not so lekker and here are the METARS for tonight so we will be currant on ILS's and night landings. We fly the PC12 two crew and on nights like these it is necessary

The METARS Western Cape
FACT 201630Z 32012KT 8000 RA SCT010 BKN025 OVC040 14/12 Q1015 NOSIG=
FAGG 201600Z 28008KT 9999 BKN060 16/06 Q1012=

Will report again tomorrow. Some people may ask what has the Lycoming got to do with the Safari, but the knowledge was based on the experience on the Bosvark.

As far as I know it is the first 60-2 electronic conversion in South Africa.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 am

The PT 6 does keep on running even in heavy rain there is a seperator that we use and also the igniters are put on water and flames are not a good combination.

O the Lycoming tuning front we have changed the temperature pickup from the eBoxi to the cylinder head and not the oil anymore. In the BMW installation the oil pickup comes straight from the cyl head oil. In the Lyc the cyl head is at operating temp long before the oil is at operating temp, so on startup we were rich to long with plug fouling consequences.We are in new territory and the learning curve is still uphill not quite vertical. Ystervark has given us a bigger range on the manual mixture adjustment to facilitate tuning. So we march on.

Cheers Oupa_G