Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Grote se Safarie mag glo afgestof en op gestart word maar Oupa-G hoor nog niks nie , maar ek vertrou dat die stoffies sal oorwaai na die Bosvark toe . Will have to hurry with my engine but I hope CAA will win this race. Sent the new flywheel away from the Banana boy's aerie. The Whisper also had some fine tuning to the EboXi map and also is included a new flywheel with bolts etc. As a good boy I'm standing in the back of my own queue. I'm looking forward to some serious flying.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Old and New.jpg
Old and new
Old and New.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Ek kort ook nog een seblief Oupa puff . Ek hoop om die resies te wen, julle moet gou maak. min dae
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Everything is connected gearbox to follow should be ready when CAA is ready. I hear the music is sounding more positive and I will be glad to fly a well tested aircraft.

All for tonight was on call today for the RedX but they spared me no flights.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Today assembled the flex-plate of the flywheel I'm showing it in detail and will give all the torque values on the subscript of the foto's.
Also important the positioning indent and the bolt that locks the flywheel ( quarter inch extension)so that the correct torques can be applied. All bolts threads are treated with LocTite on the bolts I use the stud grade. I really hope that this is the last time I have to undo this.
To-morrow I will show the placement of the 60-2 flywheel and the correct timing position. I'm documenting this for future reference.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Installation Flywheel.jpg
Note position of flywheel indentation at the bottom and the locking bar in the 3'o clock position
Installation Flywheel.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel1.jpg
Placement of centering pin for centrifugal clutch base note also the indentation in the 6 O'clock position
Installation Flywheel1.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel2.jpg
clutch base plate in position ready for the flywheel bolts
Installation Flywheel2.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel3.jpg
Note the use of longer bolts to accommodate Clutch base
Installation Flywheel3.jpg (60.72 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel4.jpg
Torque the bolts 40nm to seat them and then pre load bolts with an additional 40 degrees Threads with LocTite 603
Installation Flywheel4.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel5.jpg
centering plate for centrifugal clutch
Installation Flywheel5.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel6.jpg
Torque clutch bolts to 28nm also a little touch of the LocTite
Installation Flywheel6.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel7.jpg
This is my favourite torque wrench I have the clicking type but this one I just pre set to the torque value and bring the needle to Zero
Installation Flywheel7.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Installation Flywheel8.jpg
I have a lot of respect for this product
Installation Flywheel8.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:34 pm

We did the Kitplanes Safari LSA wing load at the factory today. This was a test not whitnessed by CAA but it was for our own benefit. We loaded the test wings to a load equivelent to 600kg @ 4g. The wings performed flawlessly. Some pic's

Next will be the limit load test to 700kg @ 3,8g's and then after that the ultimate load to 700kg @ 3,8g plus 150%
Attachments
104.jpg
103.jpg
097.jpg
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks KFA this looks magnificent these preparations making the jig etc etc etc to much to mention. I can now see the paperwork is looking at me on the horizon and it will make the waiting now sweet knowing the strength of the airframe.

I already know how nice she flies, I predict that it will be a hit in SA and I hope that you and Mogas will be rewarded with many sales here and over the waters.

I filled my engine with my Brand X oil which I buy at the local COOP. If we have to use oil just check the API classification. This oil is SL CF S stands for spark ignition and the L is the rating it starts with A. The L rating is for turbocharged engines and they have all the additives. All my engines run on this oil that includes the Vansin with its Lycoming and my Land Cruiser diesel and the BMW of the Bosvark. The CF rating is Combustion ignition and is a diesel rating. All oil containers must specify their content and the classification. So check the rating. All oil makes, does not matter what brand, if it fulfils the SL grade it is a fine oil. Just a bit of useless information but I hope it will help somebody.

Just a fotie from my oil container.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Oil.jpg
API classification
Oil.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:42 am

There is one important thing to remember though - oil grades are not always backwards compatible. A significant change occurred from SH and onwards - the ZDDP content was reduced to prevent poisoning catalytic convertors. If the engine requires SG (or earlier grades) then you must use an SG grade oil.

This is especially important for VW (and even some conti and lycoming) engines, with flat tappets.
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm

justin.schoeman wrote:There is one important thing to remember though - oil grades are not always backwards compatible.
On the spot Justin. A newer specification, is not nessacirily the better specification for an older engine. If a SG oil is specified for an engine by the OEM - better to use the SG than the SL.

E.g. from my 2010 Gs 800 owners manual:
F800GS.jpg
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Isn't it wonderful the big pond of knowledge that we can tap from. Justin and Low Level you are quite correct in both statements, if you have a wet clutch the requirements are different and if you have a 912 where the gearbox is lubricated by the engine oil the requirements are again different.If you have a turbo you again need different specs. Maybe my message did not come across clearly, I just wanted to say do not buy the cheapest no name brand and think it is OK. Rather understand the API system for your machine.

My turbo normalized Lycoming in the Vansin has been operating the last 20 years on an SL oil and when I did the elective top overhaul to change to the HC (high chrome) valve guides, I also replaced the exhaust valves and also did some mandatory mods on the oil pump. Then I had the chance to inspect the notorious mushroom cam followers and camshaft and there was no wear on these components. W100 does not give you this result unless you have been using the special Lycoming oil additive. Thanks to you for not letting me get away with general statements.

Any other comments will be appreciated . It will benefit all.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Stefaansie, hoe haal mens die sandsakke van die vlerke af?? :roll: ## ##
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:21 pm

BAIE versigtig oom Boeta. Vra my. Die manne met die inskroef kuiwe luister nie altyd so mooi nie 8) Wat dink jy van die nuwe www.saplanes.co.za ?
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

We know that we must not put KFA's sand in our oil. Here is a link to the AMSOIL site this gives a good summary as well as some other sites.

The final choice is with the owner and operator and manufacturer.

http://www.upmpg.com/motor_oil_rate_gas.htm

http://www.unitedoil.com.au/apiclass.htm

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Cheers Oupa-G
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:37 pm

KFA wrote:BAIE versigtig oom Boeta. Vra my. Die manne met die inskroef kuiwe luister nie altyd so mooi nie 8) Wat dink jy van die nuwe http://www.saplanes.co.za ?
Die nuwe site lyk MAGIC!!

Sanna
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Forever optimistic about the paperwork. Hope they do not give my file the same treatment as Grote's file by CAA that now cannot be found.

I've just had a call from RedX for a flight to George. That will keep my night flying and instrument skills honed. Hope I can wake up to-morrow for Cassies fly-inn. Will now definitely go with the Vansin.

The race is on with the CAA first time today that I could finish the engine. I started the engine and everything is OK now ready to put on the cowling. By the looks of it I should be ready before the paperwork. I also added an inspection hole for the counterweight bolt. On the fotie it looks "skeef" but in real life it is nice and centre. The close up picture gives that parallax effect.

Off to check the weather and the rest of the paperwork for the flight to FAGG.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
60-2 Flywheel 11.jpg
Engine in place and connected
60-2 Flywheel 11.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
60-2 Flywheel 12.jpg
Counterweight bolt inspection hole
60-2 Flywheel 12.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm amazed with the amount of hits on this site almost 130,000, quite unbelievable. I'm working on the Bosvark and want to get it finished before I go on my Namibia trike trip. This flying game is giving me so much pleasure and all the nice friends you meet.

Today we flew to Cassie's farm for breakfast Ystervark7 joined me. I opted to fly the Vansin there was strong wind about 25kts south so no trike weather as it was planned. There were about 40 odd aircraft and the breakfast was superb real farmers style. I came in last because the previous night I had to go and pick up an patient from George a young girl that needed urgent treatment in CT.
George weather was below minim's so with some shuffling of transport we opted for Oudtshoorn. Oudtshoorn has a NDB beacon with a cloud break procedure.The small Karoo has better weather then the coast. The night was pitch black and Oudtshoorn was covered by cloud. The approach was briefed and then flown as per #'s. The cloud layer was about 1000ft thick and after we were clear with the lights visible the landing was no problem.

For interest sake I enclose the NDB chart. Remember this is all between klippe.

Sunday I'm again on call. People have asked me what we get paid, but this a voluntary service we give to the RedX.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
FAOH NDB.jpg
Something to peruse
FAOH NDB.jpg (46.29 KiB) Viewed 2433 times