Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby KFA » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Oupa, you must contact Francois Jordaan regarding the paperwork. There is progress but there is stuff(more paperwork) you need to do from your side. The gear looks good (^^) (^^)

You know the saying that you will only fly once the weight of the paperwork exceeds the weight of the plane puff
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks Stefan will do so. Thanks for the help

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Got one machined 60-2 today all other rings have been machined. The ring comes to 1200grams if you subtract the previous 60-2 ring there is a nett mass increase of 800 odd grams. The backplate that fits the balancing machine has been made just some final touches and then the backplate gets balanced first and then the 60-2 rings separately. We are using the clutch assembly as guide. This will make the engine even smoother. I hope when I'm finished with the engine my papers will also be finished.

Enclosed some pics

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
flywheel4.jpg
1218 grams mass where it works best
flywheel4.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
flywheel5.jpg
Checked for perfect fit
flywheel5.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
flywheel6.jpg
machined and un-machined ring
flywheel6.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm

The 60-2 rings are finished and the #1 priority is the balancing. If BMW take the trouble to balance their ring-gear see fotie then balancing the 60-2 ring is a must. The balancing back-plate has several holes and mounting holes for the 60-2 ring, as well as indexing points and also holes to mount on the bed of the CNC Trackmill. Apart from the mounting hole there are also three dowels for the exact positioning of the 60-2 ring.This jig will be balanced separately. The nice part is if I want to make more I have the jig to index the work and then to balance it.

Were trying to do some fine engineering all the work so far was done by Vliegvark and checked by myself I also see to the financing part.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Balance-jig1.jpg
Balance jig front side
Balance-jig1.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Balance-jig2.jpg
Balance jig the other side
Balance-jig2.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Balance-jig3.jpg
Ring gear in place note the balancing drill recessions BMW's attention to detail
Balance-jig3.jpg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Balance-jig4.jpg
Ring gear and 60-2 in place on jig
Balance-jig4.jpg (43.14 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Flywheel mounting plate went back to the ProTrack for final finishing. Spent most of Sunday in the PC12 the weather was kind to us not popping any CB's total flight time 6 hrs from CT to Rand and back to CT I show the map of the flight . Every RedX plane gets tracked via satellite the finesse of the electronics just amazes me. So much to do and so little time. I enclose some pics and I'm of to bed.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
flywheel7.jpg
flywheel7.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
flywheel8.jpg
flywheel8.jpg (43.71 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
RedX.jpg
Early morning greetings by the sun had to climb through some low cloud just after take-off
RedX.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
RedX1.jpg
The satellite track
RedX1.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
RedX2.jpg
The old man himself
RedX2.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
Bearcat
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Bearcat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:34 am

Just to prove Oupa-G really was working ... if you can call flying the PC-12 "work" ...here he is at Rand on Sunday (13 Feb)
Nice to meet you Oupa-G ...have been lurking on your threads for a while
Pilatus PC-12 ZS-AMS Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Bearcat I must say that it is not working because I get no pay it is voluntary flying that I do for the RedX. I have been doing it for 30 years have been blessed with health. This was my 668th voluntary flight.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm

The week slipped by to quickly. This weekend I was on call for the RedX but I did no flying so I finished all the little bits to assemble the gearbox , the bolt that holds down the counterweight must be tightened 10 nm and then 90degrees tightened the bolt to 10nM marked the bolt and then loosened it and drilled the split pin hole and then did the 10NM and 90 degrees and fitted the split pin.

I shortened the offending bolts that were to long . took new 30mm bolts and shortened them to 28mm, I did not want to put an additional washer as spacer because it then makes the Nord-Lock washer ineffective. A bolt properly torqued with a Nord-Lock washer and Loktite does not come loose. For those not familiar with the Nord-Lock Google it the function is superb.

I replaced the damaged bell-housing and assembled everything. I am awaiting the new 60-2 flywheel and then I'm ready to assemble. The added flywheel will be a nice energy absorbing buffer between engine and gearbox.

I have also made enough parts for all the other engines that I grounded till the right parts are fitted. The banana boys patience has been tested severely their baby is waiting in Loeriesfontein.

Enclosed some pictures

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
counterweight.jpg
Split pin locking counterweight bolt
counterweight.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
clutch2.jpg
Shortened bolts
clutch2.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
clutch1.jpg
Shortened bolts fitted and checked
clutch1.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
clutch4.jpg
Nord-Lock washer in detail
clutch4.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
bellhousing.jpg
Damaged bell-housing and the new replacement
bellhousing.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
clutch5.jpg
Centrifugal clutch assembly
clutch5.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
bellhousing2.jpg
gearbox ready for the airframe
bellhousing2.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
German
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby German » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Off the topic, but what is you comment on the PC12 accident Oupa-G?
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Very sad and unnecessary. I gave a comment on Avcom page 24 of that site.

Cheers Oupa-G
German
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby German » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Agree, makes one think. Thanks
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Some minor gremlins crept into the PCD figures of the mounting plates and then the holes that the balancing people sent through were also not correct, but finally that was all sorted and the dowel pins were placed and everything is with the balancing people. So that should be finished .

To keep myself busy I took apart my wife's car to replace all the idler pulleys belts and water pump luckily I do not have to send any paperwork to the CAA for this. Here I can use my own judgment and I do the preventative maintenance because we are careful.

I believe that CAA has got another 2 weeks to respond to the request for the Safari papers. I am demotivated. It took 1 year to build the aircraft and we are struggling now two years to get a piece of paper and that is after the whole proving flight and test flying has been completed. It really pisses me off ,Sorry I have no better word for it. This is NTCA gone all wrong. Give me limitations of 550kgs but just let me fly. I will feel better tomorrow I'm going to clean the tank of my trike and I will fly the Trike and the Vansin.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Flew to Hermanus today in the Vansin and inspected six aircraft all owner maintained and it is a joy to see how owner maintenance really works. All the aircraft were well maintained and I really had the feeling I could have flown any of them. The ride back over Sir Lowry's Pass was bumpy and I had to slow down to the rough air penetration speed. The Vansin was cruising 140kts and I brought back the power to 100 kts and just roller coasted the turbulence. This is such a lovely plane to fly. I have taken her through Botswana to Vic falls through Namibia and to the most Northern part in Mozambique. She has never let me down and to think she first flew in 1978. I'm enclosing some pics.

To-morrow the engine is going back into the Bosvark subject to the RedX interfering. I want to get her ready for long trips somehow the CAA does not understand this.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Vansin Wolwedans.jpg
Vansin in Namibia
Vansin Wolwedans.jpg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Vansin Upington.jpg
refuelling in Upington
Vansin Upington.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Vansin Botswana.jpg
Vansin in Botswana
Vansin Botswana.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Vansin in IBO island.jpg
Vansin Ibo Island Northern Mozambique
Vansin in IBO island.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Over the weekend hung the engine back The trusty Cruiser did its thing and Ystervark gave me a hand putting the engine bolts in. The design with all the pipes running through the top baffle makes this operation very easy. It is now a race between me and the CAA I have a chance of winning who is finished first, but I will be glad to loose.

Monday evening fetched a baby from Vredendal had to do a car light landing with the RedX so today I was a bit tired .

Received the 60-2 flywheels back from the balancers all balanced to less then .7 grams and the flywheel backplate was first balanced to 0.3 gram. The company that did the balancing does not only do the balancing they also build the machines, they are very accomodating and to think all that is local what a priviledge. They make Coetz Balancing machines.

The ISO standards for that weight is 3.25 grams. The balancing was done with lots of diligence. Each flywheel then comes with a certificate and I stamped the actual # on the flywheel for identification. The weight is 1260 grams on the average and this weight mimics the weight of the clutch assembly as the engine runs in the bike. This will function to transfer any forces more smoothly. It also doubles up as the 60-2 gear for the crank impulse for the second system.

Vliegvark did the machining and the placement of the locating dowels, you really have to be absolutely parallel otherwise the pins won't slide in , it is nice to see such precision. I have had enough wheels made to supply the South African market of BMW engines even if they got their gearboxes elsewhere.

Enjoy the pics

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
engine1.jpg
Engine in back of Cruiser
engine1.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
engine2.jpg
Engine on airframe ready for assembly
engine2.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 1.jpg
The batch of flywheels
60-2 Flywheel 1.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 2.jpg
Each flywheel identified by #
60-2 Flywheel 2.jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 3.jpg
Along with certificate
60-2 Flywheel 3.jpg (44.64 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 4.jpg
Fine detail #2 is within 0.7 grams
60-2 Flywheel 4.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 5.jpg
Total mass 2766 grams
60-2 Flywheel 5.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 6.jpg
Faceplate was balanced within 0.3 grams look at the serious balancing hole it needed to counteract the indexing cut back on opposite side
60-2 Flywheel 6.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
60-2 Flywheel 7.jpg
Flywheel on face plate
60-2 Flywheel 7.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
60-2 Flywheel 8.jpg
The balancing machine
60-2 Flywheel 8.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
60-2 Flywheel 9.jpg
The controls
60-2 Flywheel 9.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
60-2 Flywheel 10.jpg
Taking away excess weight
60-2 Flywheel 10.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Tonight fused the dowel pins so that they cannot go their own way. Thats all.

Cheers Oupa-G