Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 am

Have test flown the new exhaust , viewing the test results on the MGL Black Box Viewer I had no loss in power changing to the new silencer I also added the tailpipe ad on . I will have to check the exhaust for cracking with more hours to come. The resonances and vibrations are high and the proof of the pudding is in the flying.

I'm on RedX call today but so far it has been quiet.

Best of everything for the new Year

Cheers Oupa-G
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Oupa
Compliments of the season to you and your family
The resonances and vibrations are high and the proof of the pudding is in the flying.As stated by your previous post
The resonances and vibrations that are high. Is this as a result of the two cylinders that are opposed to each other?
As I am still interested to build this engine into a CH750 which is a 100% blik aircraft what will the effect be caused by the resonance and vibrations to the structure of the AC.
Regards
Big Mac
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi Mac
The BMW is very smooth almost turbine smooth but a two cylinder will always be more impulse prone then a four cyl and the flat apposed 6 cyl is the smoothest of them all. Then if you change the silencer you have a new resonance box like a guitar box and for us privateers we can only build and then test, sometimes I wish I could have a team of technicians to help me but now I'm the builder pilot tester analiser, so it takes a bit longer.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am

It is sad to announce that Carel van Aswegen builder and the designer of the Vansin passed away this morning. This closes a chapter in the history of aviation, I regard myself very privileged to be the owner of this wonderful aircraft.

Carel rest in peace

We all honor you in admiration

Oupa-G
Bandage
Looking at the sky

Postby Bandage » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:42 am

Thank you for that message. He never lost his passion for flight, he was still flying not so long ago, be it as a co-pilot :wink:

Lianda (Carel van Aswegen's granddaughter)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 pm

I knew him well. Rest in peace old friend. Condolences with his family.
Attachments
Oom Carel.JPG
Firing up his Harley, just to listen to the potato-potato at slow idle!
Oom Carel.JPG (55.44 KiB) Viewed 13467 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I am back from holiday and I have some pictures of oom Carel I will dig them out and will post them.

Cheers Oupa-G
charl
Found a flight school

Postby charl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Really sorry to hear about Carel......long live the vansin!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 pm

I dug through my foties and came onto the last photo of Carel and Jo-ie on a flight from Plett when I stopped in Stilbaai to show Carel that the Vansin was doing everything he designed it for and the build quality is superb. Carel had the saying " If you think it is good enough, it is not good enough " This has stuck so deep in my mind that we try and apply this every day. Despite this the unknown still sticks it neck out and therefore the term Experimental Aviation is such a descriptive term. On the Vansin I redid the panel also simplified the fuel system and for a better CoG envelope I moved the engine 160mm forward. She has done in the excess of 1200hrs in 33 years which is approximately 40hrs per year. The Vansin has done this very well. I approximately fly 200hrs per year so between the trike bosvark |Baron and the RedX the Vansin is getting its fair share. If the readers are interested I can give a summary of the building of the Vansin because I saw every part being built. It strictly is not part of the Bushbaby Safari build but I still think their may be some interest.

I feel myself very privileged to own the Vansin

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Carel1.jpg
Photo taken June 2006 Stilbaai
Carel1.jpg (56.62 KiB) Viewed 13294 times
Bandage
Looking at the sky

Postby Bandage » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 am

Carel van Aswegen's memorial service will be held in George on friday at 10am. Apparently 2 well known commercial pilots will be attending. If you are able to be there let me know and i will provide you with the address. Thanks to all for your condolence's, we appreciate it very much. Carel was one of a kind. He built 5 home builts and 2 helicopters in which he taught himself to fly. One of the helicopters was bought by a gent in Johannesburg many years ago and is now perched on top of a pole in front of a brick manufacturing co. in Main Reef road in JHB. Coincidentally Carel owned a brick manufacturing co. when he built the helicopter while they lived in Wittedrif near Plettenberg bay. That particular helicopter features in a book "Aviation in South Africa", by the late Herman Potgieter. After he re-located to Stilbaai he had a hanger next to the runway and he would purchase crashed Cessna aircraft and he would rebuild them. Pieter de Necker who manufactures props for aircraft in Johannesburg found Carel deceased on Thursday morning and he is related to Carel. We last saw him on the 1st of January this year and said our last goodbyes, he hugged my wife (his grand daughter) and sobbed like a child. A legend has left this earth, fly well Carel, fly well!!!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 am

I will do my utmost to be there. I have just returned from holiday and I'm still fighting the chaos.

Cheers Oupa-G
Bandage
Looking at the sky

Postby Bandage » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 am

We understand if circumstances do not allow one to go. Please could you post more pic's of the Vansin's interior and exterior, would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Selwyn.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 am

Selwyn please contact me Oh eight four nine seven five tripple three one

Oupa-G
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Oupa-G

I sent you link with photos of ZU-OTT via PM from Morningstar today, please let me know if you not able to open .

Regards
L:
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Karman thanks I got them and they are lovely it was very hot today but she still climbed well. Post some of them on this site.

We had a problem with the exhaust of the Natal Bushbaby so I have number two of the latest exhaust series and spread the attachment area and hopefully changed the dynamics Time will tell so now for more hours.
Enclosed some pictures of the exhaust mods. I am also showing the added tailpipe which is detachable

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
New exhaust1.jpg
New exhaust1.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 13100 times
New exhaust2.jpg
New exhaust2.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 13100 times
New exhaust3.jpg
Exhaust tailpipe added
New exhaust3.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 13100 times