Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks Andy Capp and Ikamfer.

The first T&G was from a simulated engine out and if you watched the final approach height was adjusted with side slipping a manoeuvre a Cub or a Bushbaby Safari does very well the PC12 also does it well and it is very useful to get rid of height. The second T&G was from a normal landing and there was a failure after take-off simulated and we glided to Grootfontein. Some interesting facts are that if you have an engine failure after take-off and you are 1200ft on the radar altimeter then a return to the airfield is indicated .
You normally get back to the runway with height to spare.

To save on costs the engine test flight after engine change and my 6 monthly flight check were done at the same time.

The low level 1400ft over Bellville Brackenfell 360's were requested by ATC so that they could get some traffic on their way. The one was a BA flight to London and he must not waist fuel on the ground. It is amazing that this little forum is keeping a check on the old man. Got all my blood tests back today and I'm going for my medical to-morrow.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Die 2 de BMW Explorer is vanoggend opgestart. Na die aanvanklike paniek oor die ingewikkeldheid, was dit toe nie so erg nie. Alle drade is reg gekonnect, want die rook het alles binne gebly. Die nuwe silencer is baie stiller ook as die vorige poging. I am very chuffed with this aeroplane. Now fer de peppers...... vhpy
Attachments
SS.JPG
SS.JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:35 am

Boet that looks very nice. The dark spot on the lower cowling , is that the inspection window to check the oil level sight glass on the engine ?
I'm glad you are seeing the light with the wiring , if you understand it , it is very simple and offers serious redundancy. My Safari now spins like a turbine.
I got an Email today that my final application has been approved in principle and awaits the final signing through the official channels they are talking about 5 working days. So maybe before Xmas I will have the papers.

My biggest present this year is that at the age of almost 69 I am holding a 1st class medical for which I am very thankful. When the papers are there for the Loeries fontein Explorer I will fly up to Loeries and check the final settings on the BMW maybe I can persuade the Banana Boy owner to come along.

I'm just thinking aloud. This time of the year there is always a pre Xmas rush and I normally work myself to a standstill.

Was lucky tonight no RedX flight so tomorrow I will have a lekker flying day .

Cheers Oupa-G
AndreSteyn
Looking at the sky

Postby AndreSteyn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:38 am

Well done on the medical Oupa!
So there is hope for a double Christmas present for you!
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:42 am

The dark spot on the cowling? Window for checking oil. I can tell you guys, I met Oupa (A much younger version of oupa!), for the first time about 40 years ago. For a guy his age he is hopelessly too busy. I am yet to meet someone who does EVERYTHING he does, with the same passion that Oupa tackles everything, from fixing teeth, jaws and faces to fitting BMW engines into aeroplanes to overhauling his own BMW car, to helping this fool to understand the wireing, and he still has time for family life as well!! Soon he will enjoy his 69th birthday, and my wish is for him to get his paperwork for his aeroplane. THAT will be a huge birthday present! (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks Boet for the compliments. I'm blessed with good health and energy where this comes from I cannot disappoint. I'm busy with the new exhaust for OTT will do some more pipe stretching and fitting etc Luckily I have the sample on my door step. Was on RedX today with no flight was looking forward to some lekker instrument flying but no flight. Also finished the SD card for the banana boy aeroplane tested it on Anton's instrument which is now also upgraded. Going to sleep now.

Cheers Oupa-G
aeronca
Looking at the sky

Postby aeronca » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Even more impressive than Oupa G's physical health is his most impressive intellect. An hour in his company, and you will know exactly what I mean!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Aeronca thanks for the compliment. During the week I received the final testing schedule the Bosvark ZU-OTT has now been approved for 600kgs AUW and I will start with the negative wing loading to -2 G . As test pilot I refused to do the 2G negative flight test. The Bushbaby is just not designed for that, it is not an aerobatic aircraft. I requested that I fall under the same test as ZU-MDF which was witnessed by the CAA them selves. They then came with the absurd idea that they do not know if my wings are the same as the Safari, they were under the impression that the factory prototype flew with original Bushbaby wings. A long correspondence and showing the build of the wing was as per Safari drawings, I enclosed all the source origin of the materials etc etc. I became despondent and ask in the help of Francois Jordaan.
It is unbelieve-able what they come up with but we move on. Meanwhile aircraft are still running out of fuel so I have concentrated on a fuel dipstick for all the taildragger Bushbaby's with 50 lit main tanks. I have calibrated the dip sticks and all my friends that have taildragger aeries are getting one for X-Mas

I have taken the precise dimensions and will give this to the community to use.

Tonight I will just show the foto's and tomorrow I will give the precise measurements

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Dipstick 1.jpg
Dipstick 1.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Dipstick 2.jpg
Dipstick 2.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:55 pm

On the topic of the fuel dipstick I have the habit of checking my fuel with a dipstick before every new day and even after a long flight. The benefit is that you know precisely what your consumption is any fuel pilfering and if something changes. You should always know how much fuel is in the plane. Also you know which tank the plane favours. If you have a header tank system and you run the header tank dry your engine will stop and the engine will not start again unless you have electric booster pumps that can quickly fill the header tank.

The calibrated dipstick is the answer. For the 50liter wing tank of the Bushbaby I make the dipstick out of aluminium strip 19mm wide and 3mm thick the contour bend I have taken the curvature of the wing. Then it slides easily in the tank right to the back.
The dimensions are as follows:

0 lit=30mm
5 lit =160mm
10lit=195mm
15lit=235mm
20lit=270mm
25lit=295mm
30lit=320mm
35lit=353mm
40lit=372mm
45lit=400mm
50lit=440mm
Total lenght of dipstick 500mm the surface is beadblasted so the fuel can attach I first treated the surface with 600 grit waterpaper which worked but Boet suggested beadblasting it is quick and works well and I have a beadblaster.

This is only valid for taildraggers I calibrated these dimensions on a level floor and found them to be practical accurate.

This I then correlate with the fuel burn on the Stratomaster. One should then not miss manage the fuel. It is not called "motion lotion" for nothing

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Dipstick 3.jpg
dipstick on top of wing for the contour
Dipstick 3.jpg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Dipstick 1.jpg
Dipstick with ruler next to it
Dipstick 1.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Oupa, vlieg jy nou weer offisieel?? Dit sal goeie nuus wees (^^)
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Thats good news Oupa, and thanks for detailing the dipstick information.
Nottaquitta
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Today was a good day it all started when Braam arrived as arranged at 1 O'Clock we had a bite to eat and then did a tour of my workshop and proceeded to the hangar and there we measured the wing and then packed 123 4.1kg bricks on top of the foam mattresses which had a hardboard layer on top there were 4 rows of thirty bricks plus another 3 bricks to make up the full amount. When you pack this amount of weight on the wing you must not be faint hearted. It is however a very nice feeling if the wing takes the weight and only deflects 12mm that the construction is very sound. I am very proud of Boet's very fine construction method's they are the best in the industry. I tested the controls and the flaperons and no binding under full load.

I will definitely go through turbulence with a comfortable feeling. This plain is strong. In this test all struts are in compression except the roof structure. I can see that she will easily take 4G positive this will be done during the flight test. Meanwhile Braam noted all the figures as was laid down by Francois from Aerostruct and approved by Aarti.

Sean saw to it that all the paperwork was filled in correctly and he did the final inspection again for the third time. ZU-OTT is now legal at 600kg's AUW and the corresponding paperwork will be duly issued. This has been a long haul on a road of misunderstandings duplicating certain tests but I must say I had a deep feeling of satisfaction to know this wing is very strong.I will later explain in detail why things took so long.

I do not fore see any further hassles, over the weekend I'm again loading her this time without jacks so that the weight is on the undercarriage and if I do the same loading the gear will be loaded 2.6g's That should take care of the gear testing and the EboXi's I know work well. I will be able to concentrate on fine tuning the map and then my little Porsche which has been waiting will be tackled.

Enjoy the foties

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Neg loadtest1.jpg
Neg loadtest1.jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Neg loadtest2.jpg
Neg loadtest2.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Neg loadtest3.jpg
Neg loadtest3.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 pm

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

Whoooooooooooopeeeeeeeeeee Dooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Wonderful news OupaG
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:28 am

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:44 am

Hi Oupa
Congratulations at last (^^) (^^) vhpy vhpy
Regards
Big Mac