Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

ystervark7
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby ystervark7 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 pm

From all this I can only conclude that CAA is more interested in shuffling papers than in safety. No one with any common sense can think that this plane is less safe than any of the others, in fact quite the opposite.

What is sad is that with all this frustration pilots will be want to avoid CAA as far as possible which will lead to less safety.

(I also have to mention that there are people at CAA like Braam who always try to help as much as possible)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 am

I attended the microlight monthly meeting and I had some remarks that the sit e is dead at the moment. At present I'm keeping my thoughts to myself I'm still awaiting my paperwork from CAA. I am rather keeping quiet and await the verdict from CAA once this whole episode is over I will be back on line . I have been doing exciting things and everything will be shown on this site. Have taken the time to again check the rigging and fine tuning it also refining the settings for the auto-pilot functioning. All the non structural nuts and bolts have been changed to 316 stainless in nylon bushes like door hinges etc. Checked all the labeling and there are so many little things that can be made nicer. Last weekend I did a flight to Bloemfontein and we traveled through this weather that gave the snow in Beaufort West . It was very bumpy at FL270 we were in the cloud most of the way and we flew below the rough air penetration speed. The turbulence was kicking out the autopilot every now and then. When you fly in this kind of weather one appreciates the capability of the PC12 it is really a magnificent machine. That is all for tonight

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Pops2.jpg
Pops2.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 am

Le in n hindelaag = Le laag en hinder niemand!! vhpy
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Contacted the paper trail still no news. Monday is the first of August It took 1 year to build the Bosvark and I'm now busy two years. If I would be so lucky to live another 20 years then I have been wasting 10% of my remaining life. These figures may change with less luck. I don't think the CAA could care two hoots. They are complaining that they have to much work, I have a feeling they are creating it themselves. I struggle to see the sense.

Cheers Oupa-G
GateKeeper
Pre flight checks done

Postby GateKeeper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:22 am

Hi Oupa-G,

My suggestion is GO FLY, what are they going to do, it will take them at least 20 years to get you into court, if they ever do!

Life is too damn short worry about people like this.
They are only trying to control our lives, because they think they can, well If I was you I would say F#$% them, and go and enjoy what you have worked so hard for! What have you got to lose?
If it takes full power to taxi back to the hangar, you landed with the wheels up!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:55 am

I don't think that is the solution even if one wants to scream foul with these unexplained inadequacies.... however once it's done, not going to be a problem further!

Risking them pulling his licence would mean no flying the PC-12 for Oupa-G (**) imposing their lovely newly structured fine system and check how quickly Julian Swift was processed!

Now is that really worth taking the risk?
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:47 pm

I have patience I just hope at my age the ATF comes before I loose my medical. I have been very blessed with good health but if you live long enough finally the health runs out.

I today worked a bit on refinements I have made war on cabin noise here I'm just showing some padding on one of the panels , there is quite a bit of noise from the tailsection.

The other control refinement is placing a spring to give an up force on the elevator to counter act gravity force on the elevator. I used a big body washer one side it is anchored to the elevator and the other side to the flaperon lever. During test flying and testing the autopilot I found a need. The advantage is when the flaperon is deflected the centre of lift moves further aft which creates a considerable back force to be kept on the stick. The rear fixation of the spring moves further aft and the tension increases making the control lighter. An additional adjustable spring was fitted for fine tuning of control forces.

I had some nice silencers made but alas the dimensions are wrong so a further delay.

Some foto's attached .

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Panel1.jpg
Side panel with foam backing
Panel1.jpg (40.98 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Panel2.jpg
Noise insulation
Panel2.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Panel3.jpg
Control rod comes through foam slit
Panel3.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
spring1.jpg
Control spring
spring1.jpg (44.92 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
spring2.jpg
See on photo that one rod end is upside down oiling hole is pointed down wards
spring2.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
spring3.jpg
Different angle and different tension
spring3.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
spring4.jpg
Adjusteable spring for fine tuning of forces
spring4.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Today I phoned CAA to just remind the lady that works with the Bosvark's file that I'm still alive and would appreciate to be able to fly the airie. She promised to not forget me, so I will see.

Cheers Oupa-G
GateKeeper
Pre flight checks done

Postby GateKeeper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 am

You may be alive Oupa-G, but I think they are dead!
If it takes full power to taxi back to the hangar, you landed with the wheels up!
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Oom Frans
Is dit nie dalk agv al die Mods wat jy aanbring wat jou papierwerk vertraag nie. Byt nou eers vas met die Mods totdat ATF verkry is? Die ander Safari's wat standaard is en NA joune gebou is, gaan deur of hoe?
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Johan Dit is so maar nie genoeg rede om so lank te vat.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:06 am

Hoera this project is now moving again I asked CAA if they had forgotten me and within 24 hrs I had a reply. Will now do the static negative wing loading and we can now do the positive wingloading test. The wheels are turning not freely there are an arm lenghths of ifs and buts and subject to etc. I will follow the list and be a good boy. It is frustrating the hell out of me. I had all sort of plans to tackle another project but CAA have managed to take the last energy of working with them out of me. I think I must revert to collecting stamps. I have a limitation of 550kgs and not 600kgs and so it carries on there is no consistency. I am finished moaning I have bought the foam and the hardboard and the bricks are lying next to the hangar to load the wing. It must be under the supervision of a CAA representative, I have no problem with that But as an owner I am not allowed to do the do the flight test. It must be a rated pilot I still do not know who who is actually rated on this aircraft with this engine installation. I have done all the test flying on it so far and I'm also a test pilot. My planes are not insured for any other pilots. The reason is I'm the insurer.

I do not know how one can fly round the world at night in IF conditions with our CAA rules maybe they just want to pester the old man building the Safari.

However I follow the Sling 4 flying around the world , I have the greatest admiration for everybody involved with this great effort it makes one truly proud and I wish everybody good luck. The combination of talent is remarkable and the bureaucratic powers also had a go at them but they managed it better then we in the Cape. The flow of the energetic brains was just to much for the office dwellers to handle.

Mike James Jean and the rest of the incredible team I salute you.

Cheers Oupa-G
Goose
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Dag Oupa

Dit maak n mens die hoenders in as die mense wat lugvaart veiligheit moet bevorder net mooi die teen oorgestelde veroorsaak. Ek kan julle baie stories vertel van die mense, in kort= Papierwerk is vir hulle belangriker as n veilige,diensbare vliegtuig, dit maak mos nie sin nie :shock:.

Vlieg die Safari dan sien jy hoe gou kry hulle lewe :wink:

Groete
Goose
mic
Ready for the first flight

Postby mic » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Oups maybe us tailbrothers must march and throw around some asblikke
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Mic thanks I today sent away again a lot of information to the CAA and I really hope things are going to move. I have so much stuff I want to show but I am low on inspiration and also the less attention this baby now gets the better. It was not easy flying to Vredendal in the Vansin and then see the Safari 3# there and the original Brainchild Safari had to stay at home like a child under detention. I must say that the placid mr Nice Guy has died in me and I am now prepared to defend my points bare fists. It is difficult to act against one's nature. But if you have to protect your children you protect at all costs. Everything I'm asking is reasonable and my whole project is open to CAA inspection. I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers Oupa-G