Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:21 pm

at the moment in my tent we had lots of excitement wil report back when home flew all the way to the Kunene and now on my way back , at the moment at PalmWag

Cheers Oupa-G
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:05 am

Am envious..... photos please! vhpy
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Back tonight safely with lots of stories and foties will sort them and then I will post.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Came home and received a very reprimanding letter from CAA that I exceeded the allowed weight of 550kg with 30 kg I was made out a very naughty boy, I still do not know where I stand with the paperwork will follow up tomorrow.

Have done some sorting of the foties and so we were of from Walvis Bay heading north along the beach past Lang Strand where Angelina Jolie stayed when she gave birth to one of her kids and then along Swakopmund with the river flowing something that is not often witnessed and documented then further north hopping and landing to Terrace Bay total distance travelled that day 370k's. We were welcomed with drinks and bubbly wine. all in all a wonderful flight and very privileged to see the country from this angle, I will continue tomorrow night , enjoy the first pictures there is more to come.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Kaoko1.jpg
Along Long beach
Kaoko1.jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
Kaoko2.jpg
Swakopriver flowing
Kaoko2.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:27 pm

The people at Aerostruct that I have asked to help me with the paperwork had received the letter from CAA regarding the final requirements for the proving flight authorisation. The demands are reasonable and I will be able to meet them. Working on the rewording in the flight manual and the application for the mod on the gear and the EboXi. A new weight and balance. At least is a light in the tunnel. I sincerely hope that it is not the light of the oncoming train. I have high hopes.

Meanwhile I will show some pictures of our trip we flew along the coast with salt pans thousands of seals and a desolate beach with fishermen having a ball fishing on the Namibian coast. This part leading to the Skeleton Coast is really so impressive and its harshness can only be appreciated when you read the rescue effort and its disasters when the Dunedin Star stranded at Rocky Point. The Mine dump and houses at Terrace Bay were a welcome sight and so was the welcome on the ground, it was Ian Martin's birthday, he could not have picked a better spot. enjoy the pics.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Kaoko3.jpg
Beautiful salt pans
Kaoko3.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Kaoko4.jpg
Terrace Bay in the distance
Kaoko4.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Kaoko6.jpg
The houses of Terrace Bay
Kaoko6.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Kaoko5.jpg
The welcoming banner
Kaoko5.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Kaoko8.jpg
The team of Bandits
Kaoko8.jpg (68.38 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Kaoko9.jpg
Guess who is the birthday boy on this picture
Kaoko9.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
GateKeeper
Pre flight checks done

Postby GateKeeper » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:57 am

Great Photos Frans, who is the FAT guy on your left?
If it takes full power to taxi back to the hangar, you landed with the wheels up!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Gatekeeper I only know the other fat Guy on my right on the end of the bench.

Cheers Oupa-G

Ps. If I look at the total weight represented we will have to do something about the AUW of LSA, daar is nie hongersnood nie!!!!!!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 am

Before I write any further I must say that this trip would not have been possible without the arrangements of Ystervark and Chris in Walvis and Heiner from Omaruru. They organized between the three of them for ground crew accommodation arranged with Francois from the Namibian Parks Board (he flies a Jabiru 430) etc.etc. Emails were flying telephones were cooking and that ended in a wonderful trip. Ystervark has already edited the photo's what a superior job did he do. Now I can continue with some of my photo's.

Cheers Oupa-G
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun May 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Oupa-G wrote:Before I write any further I must say that this trip would not have been possible without the arrangements of Ystervark and Chris in Walvis and Heiner from Omaruru. They organized between the three of them for ground crew accommodation arranged with Francois from the Namibian Parks Board (he flies a Jabiru 430) etc.etc. Emails were flying telephones were cooking and that ended in a wonderful trip. Ystervark has already edited the photo's what a superior job did he do. Now I can continue with some of my photo's.

Cheers Oupa-G

Stunning trip and photos Oupa-G! I am hoping to head in that direction early June.

As a matter of interest, you might not know that Heiner is in hospital in Windhoek after a trike accident, a pipe from the landing gear went through his leg, NOT GOOD!

Fly safe and have fun (^^)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon May 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Dear Rudix

Heiner was with our party we arranged the evacuation and when I drove home I traveled through Windhoek and visited him in Hospital. Later tonight I will post some more pictures.

At the moment working on the requirements from CAA updating the Handbook and some more detail they were asking , it looks as if the paperwork is getting directions.

Cheers Oupa-G
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Oupa-G wrote:Dear Rudix

Heiner was with our party we arranged the evacuation and when I drove home I traveled through Windhoek and visited him in Hospital. Later tonight I will post some more pictures.

At the moment working on the requirements from CAA updating the Handbook and some more detail they were asking , it looks as if the paperwork is getting directions.

Cheers Oupa-G
Hi Oupa-G

Great! Sounds like he is on the path to recovery! Thanks for arranging the evacuation vhpy
Good luck on the paperwork!

Regards,
Rudi
Last edited by Rudix on Tue May 03, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Part of completing the Weight and balance is the precise dimensions of the gear here you see the Bosvark with the gear completed and the covering over the brake assembly The string runs over the leading edge to make a plumb line to precisely get the position of the axle relative to the wing leading edge, as per book 50mm behind the leading edge. The gear is very nice and also has the function as well as the aesthetics. Getting the scales to-morrow for the weighing.

After we left Terrace bay we headed along the coast and the plan was to fly to the mouth of the Hoanib river along the coast , but rain and poor visibility made us fly more inland over some awesome dunes till we got to the grasslands leading towards the river. The Hoanib river is know for its desert elephants which some people claimed to be different but the scientist soon put an end to this story, and worked out that they were ordinary elephants just adapted to desert conditions. As we flew over the river it had water in it and we soon saw the famous elephants. We flew a bit further on our way to Purros but landed for a quick chat and further briefing on which valley to follow. The experience was so special and not to be missed for anything.

Tomorrow I will post more pictures.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
CAA1.jpg
The latest gear with plumbline
CAA1.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
CAA2.jpg
Plumbline
CAA2.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
CAA3.jpg
Saddles
CAA3.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Kaoko10.jpg
Hoanib river in the distance
Kaoko10.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Kaoko7.jpg
The elephants of the HOUANIB
Kaoko7.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Kaoko11.jpg
Looking for a place to land
Kaoko11.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun May 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Been busy it was time for my yearly skills IF test. I did the test on the PC12 and all went OK we did a touch and go as well as a fly-past at the Stellenbosch air-show and was kindly accommodated by ATC Johan le Grange.

Further I'm showing some more pictures from our trip we are now flying further north in the direction of Purros.

I have also done the new weight and balance of the Bosvark . It has added a few kilos because of the 14mm gear and the new spats.

Enjoy the photies

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
PC 12.1.jpg
In landing conf 30degrees flap ready for the go-around
PC 12.1.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
PC 12.jpg
Cleaned up for fly-past observing the no low flying as part of good airman-ship
PC 12.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Kaoko12.jpg
wide open plains
Kaoko12.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Kaoko13.jpg
Endless space
Kaoko13.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Kaoko14.jpg
lonely ostrich on the way to Purros
Kaoko14.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue May 10, 2011 2:22 pm

On the Bosvarks paper front I now at least have a list that they want amongst it is the radio station licence ICASA is not the most efficient people to deal with but I'm doing the list and then we will see. I'm trying not to get gatvol it is just so never ending. But I suppose I will have to be a good citizen. To brighten things up a bit some more Namibia foties.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Kaoko15.jpg
Water where ever you look
Kaoko15.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Kaoko16.jpg
Our ground crew at Ondjuwa serious equipment came to good use later in the trip
Kaoko16.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Grote
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Grote » Wed May 11, 2011 7:39 am

Oupa ,
Ek kry ook niks vanaf ICASA nie . CAA het egter my proof of payment aanvaar . Probeer dit maar , of nog beter se vir CAA hulle moet self kyk of hulle iets uit ICASA kan kry . Dit is vir my moers frustrerend dat `n mens vir dienste moet betaal en daar stop dit . Dieselfde geld sommer vir Aeroclub en MISASA . Jy word verplig om lid te word , jy betaal jou geld , maar daar gebeur sweet fanny f787kol .Jackie Prinsloo by AEROCLUB het al hoeveel beloftes gemaak met dokumente gepos en/ of afgestuur . Ek lag maar net in my stilligheid vir sulke swak en sloppy optredes en bestuur . As ek my besigheid so moes run sou ek nie eers geld gehad het om hierdie brief te tik nie . Hoop daar is iemand op die forum van MISASA en Aeroclub wat hierdie raaksien en sien wat ander mense van hulle so genaamde wonderlike organisasies dink . Ek het net een mooi afrikaanse woord daarvoor , slapgat .

Hou maar moed Oupa , blame it on the boere !!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ou Grote