Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Grote
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Grote se Safari mag nou ry

Postby Grote » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 am

Oupa G , ek hoef nie meer te worry oor die file wat jy gesteel het nie , kyk Grote se site , ons kan nou sommer hier in die Kaap copies maak .

Cheers
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:42 pm

Grote has his papers, that means my papers are due soon. I could not risk it getting papers and the machine not finished. Today I flew again to George with the RedX, the plane was so busy and flew with all available crews this weekend. When I got back I went to the hangar and finished all the little things like installing the baffles and plenty cable ties. Torqued the prop and installed the newly painted spinner. It is now the correct yellow. The spinner was painted by the Loeriesfontein expert. I'm so glad that Boet can do this. Fibreglass and painting gives tears on the paint and also in my eyes. The spinners screws were installed with LocTite 243 the medium strength these screws tend to come loose.

I drained the petrol and will refuel with new motion lotion. The old fuel will go into the generator and other earth bound machines.

The engine started first shot and is ultra smooth. So the papers can come.

Enclosed some pics and I see the visits have passed the 130,000 mark.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Prop Torque.jpg
Wooden props and torque wrenches are good friends
Prop Torque.jpg (45.25 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Prop Torque1.jpg
Spinner and LocTite
Prop Torque1.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Prop Torque2.jpg
Landing light connected
Prop Torque2.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Finished.jpg
Finished and ready to fly
Finished.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm

A bit of useless information.

We all know about the hydraulic lock that radial engines get when the bottom cylinder collects oil and also inverted engines and the importance to pull the prop through before starting. A friend of mine, the famous Trike Topless wing builder's daughter was caught recently driving in the floods in Gauteng . Her car ingested water with the end result visible on the photo. The hydraulic lock is the only explanation.

The connecting rod broke after 2000k's the other rod had the same potential. It is not often that you see this kind of deformation.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Jenya1.jpg
This is not an optical solution or photoshopped
Jenya1.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
Kobus
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Kobus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 am

Ek dink ons moet die papiere vier met 'n groot Bush Baby fly in!!
Ek sal graag die ander eienaars, Oupa G en vriende wil ontmoet en die ou bekendes weer wil sien.

Laat weet wat dink julle.
The higher, the faster, the safer.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Ek wag geduldig om die vlerke te toets is in beginsel vir al die BushBaby eienaars net tot voordeel.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:35 pm

This weekend just disappeared under me Flew Friday evening to Mosselbay saw some of the Cubby owners and builders, made sure that the prop blast of the Prat and Whitney did not over turn these nice little high wings. Saturday it was trike day and Sunday it was George with the RedX.

In my absence the Bosvark was washed and polished and I pulled her out of the hangar and did a good full power test. She has passed her wing loading test elsewhere I believe it is somewhere in Komatipoort, by you know who so now there should be no obstacles to get the paperwork. After all she was built exactly the same as the wings tested no difference. It is also nice to know that she is strong enough.

I thank all involved for the continued energy. I enclose a fotie with the new gear and spats. Looking forward to the final stretch of the paperwork.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
OTT ready.jpg
OTT ready.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:08 am

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09 pm

On my way to Upington today popped in at Loeriesfontein. I did some more fine tuning to the banana boy's EboXi. Made it to run leaner in cruise but it will still have to be tuned to absolutely match the prop. At the moment the EGT's run at 720C and that is very safe , but for economy and range it can still be tuned leaner to 780C. We prefer to run slightly rich. The bikes have a history of ultra lean mixtures and there have been holes in pistons on the road bikes. The mixtures that are run lean of peak have excess oxygen in the final burnt gases and that is after all an oxidizing flame , even if the temperatures are cooler then peak or slightly rich of peak. Slightly rich of peak is a reducing flame and not an oxidizing flame. About 100 F rich of peak is of course best power.

Caught a dust cloud midday at Loeriesfontein and then of course airborne . The foto is not out of focus but this aerie climbs so fast that it was to high to get a close up and it was so bumpy that Boet could not keep it still enough to pose for a picture.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
FHY1.jpg
Dust on take-off
FHY1.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
FHY.jpg
caught in the air
FHY.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Today visited the RAF Gyro Mecca in Upington had a long chat to Eben and we decided not to mention CAA and we concentrated on other nice things like the new Zulu headset. I already had one and in full hope bought another one so that my passenger in the Bosvark will have equal comfort. I hope this can happen soon. There is a saying "Beware when a patient man gets cross"

I'm almost there.

Cheers Oupa-G
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :lol: Ja OupaG hulle se mos op Afrikaans " Die makste perde skop die hardste!! "
Groete
Jean
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
clive layland
Pre flight checks done

Postby clive layland » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:15 am

Nice finally meeting you in Mossel Bay Oupa G.

Greetings, Cubby Squadron!!
Attachments
002.jpg
001.jpg
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Clive thanks for the foties. The PC12 like a Cub is a magnificent machine to fly and I feel very fortunate at my age to be healthy and to fly the full spectrum of aircraft. I have a deep respect for everything that flies. Today I flew my Trike to Cape Town International I know the airport well as well as the controllers. They let me in without a transponder and the help was a phone call away. I was the smallest so I was last in the queue I sat on right hand downwind for 01 circling and having a birds eye view circling there were Boeing 777's 737's, big Airbus's , regional jets etc etc and eventually the mighty trike landed on this massive runway crosswind no problem with that width you can cope with any wind. I taxied in went to ground control and parked in the hangar amongst a Bentley, an Aston Martin, a magnificent wooden boat and a Citation Jet. At least I can say of the aircraft in the hangar I like my trike best . I have flown Citations for 1800hrs but the trike is more fun.

Enclosed the proof in foto format

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
DCM.jpg
The mighty BMW trike
DCM.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

My wife and i were at the Mosselbay fly-in and had the good fortune to see the Pilatus PC12 come in to land , as the PC12 landed i said to my wife " I take you a bet that is Oom Frans at the controls" and it was! So here is some 1st hand proof that OupaG does do his bit for humanity, well done OupaG, it is a privelege to know you!
Regards Jean
Attachments
144.jpg
The man himself
145.jpg
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks JeanTree it was a quick call no uniforms I was scared that the weather was going to come in the dew point and the temp were only 1 degree apart and that coast can have its weather surprises, the cloud layer can be seen on the fotie. Low cloud and night are not good friends without an ILS. Hope you had a good Cubby weekend.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Went back today to Cape Town International and picked up the trike and flew back to Grootfontein no waiting immediate take off from R19 and left out to our field. I was snapped yesterday coming in, and I took a fotie while taxiing . Only then one realizes how small we really are. With the Bosvark I'm waiting in anticipation.
Thats all for tonight.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
CT int2.jpg
Small bird big airport
CT int2.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
CT int1.jpg
Just look at this immense space Keeping the nose wheel on the line so that my wheels won't go of the tarmac
CT int1.jpg (35.42 KiB) Viewed 1996 times