Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

ppakotze
Pre flight checks done

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby ppakotze » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Saw a yellowish bushbaby over BLouberg on Sunday, Oupa any chance it was you? Engine was so quiet I almost thought it was electrically powered?

Regards
P.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:50 pm

No definitely not me that yellow Bushbaby operates from Morning Star. I'm grounded till CAA finally get to grips with all the paper and till then I'm very much low profile.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Today got a new passport leaving for Namibia tomorrow cannot stand looking at the yellow bird not flying so I'm off. Went to Saldanha to day met up with Johan Froneman to show us the Yaris Bushbaby my comment is elsewhere under My projects Johan thanks for the time spent ,the Jodel looks lovely. Flying via Upington to clear Customs. Hope when I get back that i have a piece of paper. I cannot believe that it is this difficult.

Cheers Oupa-G
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Oupa, we are waiting for that test plan please when you get time.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:12 pm

In Omaruru today wanted to go to Swakopmund this afternoon, worked out the density altitude was 7500ft plus. I did not feel like dragging the wheels through the thorn bushes (scared of a puncture) so I will leave to-morrow morning early when it is cool heading for a lodge Namtib on the desert edge. Then Keetmans Upington and will stop in Loeriesfontein to do some fine tuning on the Banana BMW Explorer. The Vansin is really flying well returning 130kts plus continuously.This homebuilt is now 32 years old and still doing its thing.

Talk again in Durbanville

Cheers Oupa-G
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Oupa-G,

If I may ask what is this Vansin, could you post a pic please would love to see it.

Regards
Flying feeds the soul!
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Pic not so good, but will give you an idea.
Attachments
IM002370.JPG
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Boet wrote:Pic not so good, but will give you an idea.
Dankie Oom Boet, baie mooi!!!
Flying feeds the soul!
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:18 pm

That Vansin has really nice lines. If it flies as good as it looks, it must be a great machine!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Almost 3 weeks that I last reported I had been to Namibia what a wonderful trip. I was joined by Ystervark7 who also happens to be my son in law. We had a wonderful time. Just some specs on the Vansin 160 hp Lycoming Turbo-normalised fuel injected running on Mogas. I replaced the valve guides with the High Chrome later Lycoming guides. 35 l/h flying 135kts plus.

On the 1800 nm round trip the average speed was 122kts that included all the circuit work as well as climbs etc. this homebuilt flew for the first time in 1978 and was built by the remarkable Carel van Aswegen. He was well ahead of his time.
I was fortunate to have seen this aircraft from the first rivet to the final finish. When Carel stopped flying in 1992 I became the proud owner. I enclose a foto on the recent trip this is not a complimentary foto she is really this beautiful.

When I came back I was snowed under with work but the universities and schools have started again and the pace is less hectic. CAA pissed a little bit on my battery and I did loose a bit of speed but I'm back on track. Hopefully I will get some paper news from CAA. Meanwhile I have been fitting the wheel spats I enclose the making of the templates and the final AutoCad template and drawing I hope to have the finished metal plate by the weekend. Then the Bosvarkie will be tackled with all available time. The CAA scrutinising of the structure of the Safari will add to the eventual success of this lovely aircraft.

I will promise to report more frequently on the final engine testing because the final fine tuning will now take place.

Ystervark has given me a rheostat mixture control +- 5% either side and this will help with the tuning. Single pilot it is difficult to fly and work a laptop.

That's all

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
vansin1.jpg
What a beauti
vansin1.jpg (34.4 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Wheel spats 1.jpg
first step in making the template
Wheel spats 1.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Wheel spats 2.jpg
fit for size
Wheel spats 2.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Wheel spats 3.jpg
Template taking shape
Wheel spats 3.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Wheel spats 4.jpg
Data transferred to Autocad for final WaterJet cutting
Wheel spats 4.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Wheel spats 6.jpg
Loeriesfontein Spats best in the industry
Wheel spats 6.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Kobus
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Kobus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Oupa G
It is so nice to have something to follow again.
Looking forward!
The higher, the faster, the safer.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Dear Kobus

The only limiting factor is time, but I'm at it again. CAA is still not realizing that one builds aeroplanes to fly and not to be grounded by paperwork. The whole thing pisses me off a bit but I will march on and I'm almost at the stage that becoming illegal is the only option , but I will hang in there a bit longer. I spend my energy on fine detail and finishing the wheel spats it was quite challenging to make the back plates and fitting them. All of Saturday was spent fitting. The backing plates came out very nice thanks to Waterjet who are so helpful when I come with all my whims and designs. This time round no drilling of holes I could just counter sink and rivet the anchor nuts into place. Fitted the plates to the axle-spring and then making the spats fit. Then they are of to Loeriesfontein to be finished and re-enforced so that the spat can also serve as a seat. If I work with fibreglass or paint I end up with paint all over me and ruined paint brushes with hardened resin. So I leave it to the pro's. During the annual inspection of my trike a crack was noticed on my frame. I do not like cracks and I must know why. This crack was in the landing force direction of the gear attach point. On closer inspection of the weld which was done in France at the DTA factory, there was more fusion the welding the actual weld was thinner then the parent material. The weld was rewelded and will be closely inspected. It is imperative to closely inspect the aeroplanes and it is imperative that another eye looks as well. This crack was picked up by Ystervark's scrutinising eye. The trike must be ready for our next long trip. Tonight I'm including some pictures enjoy them.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Wheel spats 8.jpg
fancy cut out
Wheel spats 8.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Wheel spats 9.jpg
Backing plates with anchor nuts riveted into place
Wheel spats 9.jpg (31.96 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Wheel spats 10.jpg
spacers that fit into axle for spats to attach outside
Wheel spats 10.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Trike5.jpg
crack on frame
Trike5.jpg (44.68 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Trike6.jpg
vliegvark at it with the Argon TIG Trike on its back to make the welding more accessible
Trike6.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Trike7.jpg
Weld finished with a bit more body to the weld
Trike7.jpg (40.92 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Every minute that I had free I worked on the Spats to finish it. I wanted my plane back on the wheels so that I can run the Whisper EboXi on the Bosvark I'm also busy making a loom for the Whisper. I finally got tired of split pins on wheel nuts and I now have used the tension pin which also holds in the wheel spat spacer. Making the backing plate and fitting the spats so that they do not scrape the tire is nogal 'n gedoente. I'm itching all over but it is done and the result is very nice. Next week they are of to Loeriesfontein for the final re-enforcing and painting. What would I do without Boet, I would have paint all over everything I own. One foto I have taken where the wheels shine through to check the fit. And also a picture to give the gear's position. I did some serious taxiing through dips etc and this gear is the final version. It is nice and the angles are right and the directional stability and controllability is superb. I could not be more ready to fly. The waiting for the paperwork borders on negligence from CAA. How are we going to try out anything new under the NTCA regulations when any change which is not even major is taking that long. They are pushing me to be a criminal. I really hope something is happening next week. This is changing having fun into a major irritation. Enjoy the photo's.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Spats1.jpg
Spats1.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Spats2.jpg
Spats2.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Spats3.jpg
Spats3.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Spats4.jpg
Spats4.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:48 pm

As DIT nou nie mooi lyk nie? WAT? (^^) Ek sal baie bly wees as die verlenging vir verdere toetsing op die enjin nou kan gedoen word. :( Dis regtig n crying shame dat hierdie vliegtuig nou "nie mag vlieg nie". Ek beter shaddap......... :evil:
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 pm

The weekend was very busy on Friday night I did an ILS into George caught the tail of the front that had passed. Coming back to Cape Town in the early morning hrs was just very beautiful the RedX flying has its charm even when the hrs are sometimes a bit hectic. Saturday was spats time for the Bosvark and on Sunday I went to George again this time the weather conditions could not have been more perfect. No hrs on the Bosvark but 4.6 hrs on the PC12 so my flying itch was soothed. Except for some fine tuning on the software of the EboXi and the painting of the spats the Bosvark is finished except the paperwork. How long that will be is any-bodies guess. Tomorrow is a new week and we will see what that brings.

Cheers Oupa-G