Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Stefan I'm trying to record as much as possible because I want to write as good a manual as possible. A good static port is part of accurate evaluation. Factory test aircraft fly with these enormous probes and pitot tubes etc because they have the same problems and then they make two holes on the side of the fuselage at the right spot. Finding the spot is not easy

Cheers Oupa-G
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Oupa, with the fiddling I was more referring to the engine tuning part :wink: :wink: puff I am just pulling your leg, we are all anciously awaiting that 40hr mark to arrive (^^) (!!)
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Stefan this engine is a beauty and is running like a clock will tune and fiddle after 40 hrs it is called fine tuning

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm

The wind was not blowing today it was pumping, spent time modifying the fuel cap spanner added a wooden grip it will be engraved with the fuel quantity information. Another calibration coming up. I love fuel dipsticks. Just a quick photo.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Fuel Cap.jpg
Fuel Cap.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Oupa - Thats a nice looking tool!

My only concern would be that it gives one the opportunity to overtighten the fuel cap - and possibly damage it.(I know you wont - but someone who is less technically inclined may do so)

I suggest that you make the handle as short as possible to limit the moment that one can exert on the cap. I presume you intend using the handle as a dipstick? Nice idea! (^^)

Glad to see your testing is back on track

Best regards

A
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:36 am

Dear Andy the Cap (no pun intended) is turned back on till the vent tube is showing forward. It is not my design I think it was Ranger's idea I stand to be corrected. The material of the cap and the filler neck have binding properties. I spoke to your boet the other day when I was visiting FAFK.

Cheers Oupa-G
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm

LOL! Pun is funny none the less! vhpy

I guessed that the plastic Caps would be inclined to bind - so the tool will be very handy.

Good to hear you met my boet again. He will be very interested to try OTT out when the time is right.

I am actually very proud of him for safely handling the emergency landing in his first ever twin flight at FACT the other day. Both him and Instructor walked away. that was one day after my boet's 2nd child was born!

good luck with the rest of your testing! (^^)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:28 pm

This week was spent on changing the spring quality of the tail wheel. I am flying the approach at slower speeds so the touchdown is tail wheel first. So the dynamic of the spring had to be adjusted I made a new spring bent it to the correct radius and went to my friendly spring maker and had them heat treated like the main gear. On the Vansin I replaced the master cylinders with locally produced products new pads new O-rings on the slave cylinder and while I'm in the process the Baron also received new O-rings in the brake system.I will take photo's tomorrow and post them. I hope the wind is going to play game , so that I continue the testing.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Have been quite busy the tail spring was to soft and the reshaping of the rudder happened. I do not know if the temper of the spring was correct but I remade the spring, made it from 8mm EN45 bent it in my press shaped the spring fitting snug into the Matco base and made sure there were no sharp stress inducing corners and edges. The wheel now works well.

I finished the silencer exhaust of Bosvark II and did the final fitting of the exhaust stubs. Also played around with the static source placed the adjust-able O-ring around the pipe and it seems to do the job. Suddenly I have an accurate airspeed at cruise and in the landing configuration. On quiet days I will fine tune this set up I'm glad it has saved me placing a static source in the tail .
Attachments
tail1.jpg
The tail with a wheel stike
tail1.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
tail2.jpg
The new tail spring
tail2.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
tail3.jpg
the snug fitting in the Matco base
tail3.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
tail4.jpg
New spring fitted
tail4.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
taill5.jpg
Bosvark II 's exhaust based on the exhaust of Bosvark
taill5.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
taill6jpg.jpg
Mod on static
taill6jpg.jpg (38.02 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:11 am

"Also played around with the static source placed the adjust-able O-ring around the pipe and it seems to do the job"
Brilliant! =D*
Nottaquitta
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 am

Mogas if I have the right place I will turn it out of teflon then it will be a permanent fixture. Looking on the net I saw the NASA boffins also reshaped the aerodynamics on the their probe. On a quiet day i will calibrate it against the GPS. This morning I had a wonderful flight bit bumpy because of the east wind, but the engine is purring.

Cheers Oupa-G
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 am

Hey Oupa G.
I was Flying with Louis in his gyro and and we saw you puting away the bushbaby. It looks AWESOME from the air! It looks great! vhpy
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Here are some figures the new engine is running like a turbine and the temperatures are "cool". I'm showing a snapshot of the Voyager. I have not connected the fuel flow and the virtual fuel tanks. Sofar I have concentrated on the temperatures and the static system. The sump oil temp's is 71c the cylinder heads are 70 and 71 C remember the heads are oil cooled. The EGT's are 716C each. The inlet of the oil cooler is 76C that oil comes directly from the exhaust valves hence it is slightly higher then the sump oil temp of 71C. The oil cooler outlet is 63C so we know the oil cooler is dumping heat. The gearbox temp is 42C should there be a problem in the gearbox this probe should tell us the story. As soon as I have the revs over 6000rpm the speed goes well over 100mph this is still on the 72X54 prop, I'm waiting for the 74X60 prop. In the very left upper corner is the GPS speed but that day there was a slight southerly wind. The highest temp I have seen sofar was 102C on the inlet of the oil cooler and on that day it was 42C and everybody flying was complaining of high temperatures. 100 degrees C for oil is a walk in the park. The baffles Boet and myself with a healthy bit of cross pollination worked out are doing their job. More flying will tell. The Bosvark is becoming a get in start and fly machine. Last weekend it was nice and hot and I had a go at hot starts. Waiting 2 min and then 5 min and 10 min I tried starting on the main system and on the backup system. The starting is immediate and the 3.5 Bar pressure prevents air locks. If you try to do that with either a Lycoming or a Continental you would end up with a dead battery and a burnt-out starter. This is all for tonight

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
MGL2.jpg
Screenshot from magnificent MGL Voyager
MGL2.jpg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Oupa-G.

Love your fuel cap spanner. My cap was turned smooth on a lathe and I had to use a large visegrip to open or close due to the binding. I put on a little copper slip on the threads and it now easily turns by hand and seals nicely. Guess it will wash off over time, just add as needed.

How do you measure the fuel level in the bottom /rear of the tank with a vertical gauge when standing in the tail dragger position.

I made a gauge as per the attached pics and it shows the fuel level down to the last 5L. It makes very little difference if the plane is not quite level.

Very sad about your rudder damage, but we Bushbaby owners are now forwarned. My spring is also very sloppy. Need to change before it happens to me.

Happy flying.
Regards,
Nico
Attachments
bUSHBABY 369.jpg
bUSHBABY 371.jpg
bUSHBABY 373.jpg
nico
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Nico

Very clever mine was only for the full half part. I will definitely construct something like that, I'm a great fuel dip believer. I absolutely love the cross pollination on the web. The exhange of data is stunning. I can imagine that your dipstick will be very accurate. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers Oupa-G