Moderator: Tailspin

grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby grostek » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:51 am

Hi Oupa,

Well done on the landing.

As for the engine, eina that is going to hurt your wallet.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:32 pm

As I promised I would do accurate reporting. This mishap is because I assumed the second hand engine was up to standards but I am now hyper critical of the source of the engine and if anybody has worked on the machine before. In other words do not take somebodies word that just says the engine is OK. The other fact is when you work on the frontier of new things you must expect the unknown. But on the brighter side of things is that the Bosvark is so well behaved and the unexpected landing was easy due to the honest flying qualities of this little superb aircraft. As far as the engine installation everything works well the exhaust baffles etc I have 20 hrs into the flight testing. This engine stoppage can not be blamed to the engine or airframe. I should have checked the engine but it was the engine I had and I put it in when I had the detonation problem. I'm continuing with my testing I still believe it is a winning formula. It does hurt the pocketbook but I will survive. refining the engine tuning.

Cheers Oupa-G
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Oupa,

You have highlighted that we should all strip,clean,measure, replace/repair and reassemble any component we buy second hand.

It is just such a pity that this had to happen to you.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well as to all users of this forum.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Well done Oupa, apart from the irritation, cost and loss of flight time we are glad to hear there is not a lot of harm done.
Sorry it's late but happy birthday anyway!
Mogas
Nottaquitta
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Last night I decided to give myself the "Doos of the year award" I put the new engine in and it started well taxied up and down the runway I had a crosswind of 20kts and decided that with cows on the runway and the crosswind I would call it a day, so I taxied on the apron of the hangar which is on the lee side of the hangar and I was running various power settings and then played with the tail lifting and the power, and I do not know if I was slow or that the turbulence behind the hangar caught me but Pieter de Necker I hope you read this site because I need a 74X60 prop urgently. The rest of this super award the readers can deduct. No other damage. I just thought before somebody else grabs the award I gave it to myself.

I'm going on holiday and will start and continue the Bosvark story next year, I'm of to Plett till the middle of Jan, and hope to do some serious Trike flying. I'll take pictures and send them.

Cheers Oupa-G
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 pm

I think along with your self proclaimed award, due to your selfless sharing of knowledge and advice and displaying the most adventurous spirit, I want to nominate you for the forum’s ‘Member of the Year’ award.

Should the nomination remain unopposed, you would be entitled to the use of any loading zone and a 50% discount at any toll booth for a year.

Just tell them I sent ya.
vhpy
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:15 pm

I second Oupa`s nomination for Member of the year. Thanks for keeping us informed of all things on this project, both good and less so..... :wink: Pieter is on holiday in Stilbay. LOTS of Rooikrans trees there, so he will start whittling a rooikrans prop with his bush axe. At least when you bugger that one up, you have some nice braai wood. I think you have enough wall clocks for now. ( Ran out of fireplaces to hang the wall clocks?? :roll: )

To Oupa and family, a merry Christmas, enjoy the rest, and drive safe. (-) (-) (-) (-) (-) (-) (-) (^^) (!!)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks for the good wishes I have my trike here in Plett I keep a separate wing in my hangar and just bring the karretjie.

So far the weather is not good for trike flying but will grab the moment when it arrives. Best to all for the new year.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 am

It is the end of the year and I'm on holiday and it is hard to believe that I can sleep so much , but maybe I need it. Aviation is such a wonderful experience and can give so much joy but there are times when aviation can become very sad. The family that died in the Harrismith Bonanza accident I knew very well. Although not home friends the pilot was a colleague who studied when I was still at the university. He was diligent and a well qualified IF pilot. Something went wrong and the end result a super tragedy. Lots of people have lots of answers, I can only be humble try to be as cautious as possible. I will try and do as honest a reporting possible and hope that this will help creating a safety conscious attitude, let us be humble and honest to the little voice in us that often warns us.

Best for the new year and let us try and keep aviation as safe as possible.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:52 am

Voorspoed vir 2010 Oupa, vir jou en jou hele gesin. Geniet jou blaaskansie , mooi ry en veilig vlieg!! vhpy vhpy vhpy (^^) (^^) (^^)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Dankie Boet dieselfde daar by julle

Oupa-G
charl
Found a flight school

Postby charl » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Hoezit Oupie

I poked my head into your hanger the other day to spy on what's left of the prop on Bosvark..... I definitley think you need a new one. Are you going to go for the same specs?
Did some tuning on the A's 912 and got some great results. The egt's are now within 10 degrees at 4200rpm's. Wing is on and ready to go..
Still great up hear at Du Punt. The women went diving this morning and Petro (ex Neville Strauss, Upington) managed to land two!!
Best for the New Year and "kry die Varkie reg, ons het ver om te ry"!!
Petro keef.jpg
912 EFI.jpg
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm

As you can see the 912S with fuel injection , The ECI of course is an Eboxi it is amazing how unequal the EGT's run with the original manifold and if you change the induction pipes to equal lengths the EGT's also become equal. Interesting things coming up in 2010
Charl those kreepy kraulie look very lekker. I'm having a ball swim every morning and evening the water is warm and the waves are the best. I'm changing the prop from a 74X58 to a 74X60and I will have the Varkie ready for the long fly.

Cheers Oupa-G
pprop
Signed up at flight school

Postby pprop » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Ek is baie, baie jammer om te sien die propeller is stukkend :shock: :shock: maar baie, baie, baie bly Oom is reg en die vliegtuig is reg. Baie ervare en knap vliegondervinding skyn helder met n koelkop op 700vt - dit wil gedoen word en boonop weet ek bleddie goed daai stuk boomstomp daar voor wat nou stilstaan se sleur is groter as n ou vet antie met n nat broek wat die see uitstrompel. Aai dis hartseer. :cry: :cry: Ek het by Boet gehoor maar kon nie toe vir oom skryf nie aangesien ons gister eers vanaf ons plasie buitekant Stilbaai (waar ek en Bets elke jaar gaan vakansie hou,) teruggekeer het en op die plaas is daar nie n komper nie (dankie tog) net Bosbokke, Steenbokkies,skilpaaie, bokmakieries, fisante en vrede, vrede, vrede en molle , molsgate en molslange.
Ek sal solank die teoretiese aanvoorwerk doen, en dan die CAD tekeninge in die week en dan sommer die CAM werk simuleer sodat dinge spoedig kan geskied. Ek sal dieselfde airfoils vir die propeller gebruik as vir die vorige sodat daar geen verskil sal wees in die ontwerp behalwe vir die 2" ekstra. Ek en Bets sal probeer om so om en by die 11de Jan vir Oom n klompie hout te selekteer om n blok voor te berei want my swartetjies kom eers dan terug en die ou rug en nek van my wil nie meer swaar dra nie (6 x Synap forte, 2 x Tramadol, 1 x Epeleptin per dag). Waneer die blok dan reg is - omtrent n week - dan sal die nuwe propeller heelbo aan die lys wees en ek sal die snyers in die CNC vlymskerp maak net vir die propeller!.Pasop vir die manne met die tanne oom Frans veral vroeg oggend en laat middag vhpy Ek het ook by Oom Carel gekuier en hy se ek moet vir Oom baie , baie, baie mooi groete stuur en veilige vliegjare.
Beste groete,
Pieter en Bets de Necker
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Pieter en Bets dankie vir die simpatie die enjin wat gaan staan het was swak vakmanskap van die vorige persoon wat aan die masjien gewerk het dit sal ek in die toekoms uitsort. Die prop kan ek net die vinger na my self wys. Ongelukkig kan ek niemand anders die skuld gee nie. Ek gaan hom tog terug stuur miskien kan jy hom crop en dan kan hy dalk werk op die 1100 masjien werk wat ek vir Boet wil gee vir die Explorer. Die trim werk van my is 'n bietjie deurmekaar borsel kop hairstyle miskien kan jy hom short back en sides gee. Ek sal weer so'n deposit neersit Bets moet maar check. Hou nog lekker vakansie het vandag vir die Whisper getune en daar loop dinge nou mooi reg.Beste vir die nuwe jaar.

Cheers Oupa-G