Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Wallaby
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Wallaby » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Oupa geez, I can't wait for you guys to start with the trials. It's all so exiting with this new unknown frontier in front of us. The BM engine, the landing gear, the performance of the aerie and all the other stuff. The only bad thing now, is the fact that you cannot quickly walk over to the plane to do something quick if you have 5 min's available.
Life- I did it my way.....
The world is not enough!
- Manie Rossouw
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

The long weekend could not have come at a better time. I worked really hard. I finished all the little things and as soon as you have finished one item another one turns up. The consolation is that everything you finish is done, from a building point of view I,m 99% finished. Late this afternoon when the wind dropped I had the photo session and did some taxiing. She feels very docile I managed to lift the tail and she is very stable and controlable. The brakes work well the Voyager is wonderful the magnemometer showed that our runway is 203 degrees which corresponds with our landing compass. My taxiing was ended by the end of the day and darkness set in and the new baby was put to bed. Tonight is paperwork night because now that I have the photo's my paperwork for CAA is completed. I'm going to show some photo's tonight so Iwill make some more posts.Enjoy the pics.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
OTT.jpg
OTT1.jpg
OTT2.jpg
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm

I see that we have had 44000 hits and now 47 pages The readers must not despair the interesting part is now coming reporting on the performance. To start of with the fuel in the wing tanks and no leaks we are now carrying enough weight to judge the gear. The present gear legs were overstressed on the little wagon and have taken an abnormal loading but they are doing well and give me assurance that the 12mm thickness is OK . The new gear will be cut the axle centre will come another 25mm further forward and the angles will be slightly different. Enjoy the pics

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
OTT3.jpg
inspection door
OTT4.jpg
Frontal view
OTT5.jpg
Flaperon detail
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Some more pics

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
OTT6.jpg
OTT7.jpg
OTT8.jpg
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Dis nou wragtig pragtig !! :mrgreen:

It looks like the Undercarriage is a bit sagged - the wheels are tilting a bit inwards -instead of vertical or slightly outwards - this will presumably be corrected with the new set?

she really looks awesome! xxx Cant wait for pics & news of that maiden flight (!!)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Dear Andy Capp

I promised to give the honest information , the new gear will come on the site as soon as it is finished that is why this one is not painted. ALSO THE BENDS WILL BE LESS ACUTE. But what I know from this gear is that 12mm is sufficient thickness 10mm would be to pap and 14mm would be an over design.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 am

Today I looked again at the photo's of the Bosvarkie and you must all agree now that everything is together that the cowling masterly shaped and made by Boet really makes the airoplane. Boet you are actually an artist at heart I salute you.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks Oupa. It is a pleasure to be in the team! vhpy vhpy vhpy Peppers going in?
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:15 pm

THanks for the clarification Oupa :wink:
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Oupa-G wrote:...The new gear will be cut the axle centre will come another 25mm further forward and the angles will be slightly different.
Can you talk a bit about the reasons for moving the axle forward?
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Dear Griffin

The Bushbaby spec's are the centre of the axle must be within 25 to 50mm behind the leading edge of the wing. At the moment the axle is 25mm behind the leading edge. At the moment I can pick up the tail holding the brakes and giving power. That is fine on reasonably smooth runways and makes for a very agile taildragger, which can be manouvered lifting the tail and holding one brake around the wheel that is being held by the brake. If however you want to use the aircraft on softer soil the plane is more easily nosed over. If you look at a Cessna 180 and having flown it the axle centre is quite far forward of the leading edge.
This makes the aircraft more stable against nose over. On take-off the aircraft runs with the tailwheel on the ground till the wing starts lifting and the take-off can be done provided the angle of attack is between 10 to 12 degrees. This is also a very safe tak-off because lifting the tail has an affect on the gyroscopic forces on the prop affecting linear stability. Just watch a P51 Mustang taking-off. So it is a compromise for the handling qualities you desire. The Bosvark's AoA on the ground is 11degrees , and after my taxi tests I would like it slightly more tail heavy. The carrier blocks of the steel gear can also be angled more or less. So summing it up I will fly the aircraft and change the axle position till I like it. Luckily I went solo on J3 Cubs 45 years ago, so deep down in my brainstem the taildragger love is engraved. Griffin I hope this clarifies this topic. I see you are at FAFK so pop over and we can talk more on this very fine balance.

Cheers Oupa-G
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Slabfish » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Oupa G,I see you say the Bee em uses 30L/h ,surely it is closer to 15L/h /.The Facet pump will definitely give you some peace of mind :wink: Looking very nice. vhpy
Clem
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 am

Dear Slabfish

At full power mixture rich at 7000rpm she uses 27l/h. That is the situation where you also use fuel to cool. There after when throttling back she uses 235g/kw/hr and then it depends on the power you are pulling from the engine. For my fuel flow tests I have to take the worst scenario into account. The Facet pumps bleed the system after that gravity does the rest. I hope I'm clear on that.

Cheers Oupa-G
Shaun74
Pre flight checks done

Postby Shaun74 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Hello Oom Frans.

I believe tomorrow is D -day for your baby. Goodluck with the test and im sure all will be perfect.
Enjoy every moment of your hard work.

Shaun (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)