Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Grote
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Grote » Thu May 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Jy kan maar Tailie gaan Boeta , sal nie vooroor tip met jou nie . !!!!!!!
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Thu May 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Oupa-G wrote:The other day I was in the Metropolis of Loeriesfontein and I happened to visit a good friend of mine in his workshop was a nosewheel of a Bushbaby I picked this up and I wandered who in his normal healthy mind would put so much weight on an aeroplane and then make it ugly on top of it. I don't know what the discussion is about the wheel should be at the back and a little training, period.

Cheers Oupa-G
Eish, I have to agree.
But if you have back trouble and a non-castoring wheel its got to be next to impossible to move backwards.
The locking TW we offer has evolved into an excellent piece of kit but is largely hand made, hence the extra cost.
Boet, I will speak to the money man and see what we can do.
Sorry for the hijack :oops:
Nottaquitta
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu May 28, 2009 9:56 pm

We do not have to talk about the little wheel at the back as there is only one real answer. I however want to talk about a little wheel in the front of my Cruiser. This topic is specifically aimed at the Subie driven aircraft. On my last trip in Namibia I lost my cambelt and had to bring the Cruiser home on a flatbed. I carefully reconstructed the failure. Grit from the gravel road had entered the Cambelt cover. The cause was me hitting an embankment with enough force of the road that had been partially washed away due to heavy rains I was following another friend and the dust obscured the obstacle. the dirt was gravel and not sand from our trip. The idler pulley(little wheel) also ingested some of the foreign bodies and seized. So the chain of events unfolded, the belt overheated and the resultant failure. The lesson is rather replace the belt, idler pulley and tensioner to early . The cost of the early service can be tenfold or even more covered by the expense I am going to incur. So preventative maintenance is the answer. So the answer is replace the little wheel in front and put the other little wheel at the back.

Cheers Oupa-G
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 am

Eish oupa-g - did the valves and the pistons meet on your cruiser?.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Fri May 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Ou Grote, en dit geld natuurlik vir jou ok. Wanneer laas het jy jou van die sykant af in die spieel bekyk. Lyk of jy ook in n ongeluk was.........jou airbag is gepop. :lol:
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri May 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Stephan it was a full house on the Cruiser. But I will survive it is not an ominous disease it's only metal with a bank entry. It does change the numbers a bit but that we will handle. At the moment I have revisited the undercarraige I have put another spring ontop of the centre section to change the roll dynamics of the undercarraige. I'm also putting in the final high tensile bolts on the stub axles and now the finishing detail I will take the pictures and enclose them. There is a lekker weekend ahead with lots of working. If it is raining then I cannot tune but I can finish all the other little detail.

Cheers Oupa-G
Kingfisher
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby Kingfisher » Sun May 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Oupa G , net 'n vraag i.v.m. die ekstra vonkprop installasie in die BMW silinderkoppe. Is dit slegs 'n veiligheids aspek of verbeter dit enigsins die werkverrigting van die motor. Die rede waarom ek vra is dat ek baie min in my lewe 'n vonkprop (ek gebruik net NGK) sien faal het as dit gereeld vervang word. Daar is van die nuwe motors wat eers na alke 60 000 km nuwe vonkproppe kry. Ek kan sien dat dit in 'n tweeslag enjin probleme kan veroorsaak maar nie sommer in 'n 4 slag enjin. Die konsep soos wat ek waargeneem het in produksie vliegtuig enjins wat op lae revolusie loop en dus 'n groot suier het , die twee vonkproppe nodig is om ontbranding in die groot silinder te bevorder. Die BMW motor se silinder inhoud is egter kleiner en BMW sou verseker het dat die mengsel optimaal ontbrand met die voorgeskrewe vonkprop in hulle silinderkop wat my laat dink dat daar nie 'n wesenlike verskil in werkverrigting sal wees nie.
Last edited by Kingfisher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Dear Kingfisher,

All newer BMW are equipped with two plugs per cylinder. Our philosophy is to try not to have a single point of failure . I agree with you that spark plug failure is very rare and the NGK is a superb product. Initially BMW came out with Bosch plugs but if you buy plugs now for the GS1200 BMW supplies NGK plugs at the price of R190 there must be a more reasonable source for these plugs. From a combustion point of view the bike's run ultra lean mixtures at idle and when the engine is coasting and the engine runs smoother I believe that at high power the BMW does not use the second plug . We run the second plug 2 degrees retarded. I hope this answers your question.

Cheers Oupa-G
Last edited by Oupa-G on Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun May 31, 2009 9:48 pm

This weekend was rainy in the Cape and time was spent on all the tiny titbits that need to be finished . Put an extra spring on the centre section of the undercarriage and this has improved the roll stability and so the tapered section can be more active. The test trailer did not have wings with inertia. Our in house "Rocket Scientist" wired in the second system and late afternoon I was running the engine it started running erratic and now I also know what it sounds like when you run out of fuel. I have thus proven she won't run without "motion lotion" . Also Vliegvark decorated the tail with the future registration. Were moving forward but are now in the 10% stage that takes 90% of the time. Enclosed the ID of the Bosvark.Rest well tonight there is a long week ahead and a new month.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
ZU-OTT.jpg
The new ID
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Oupa g

Die OTTer lyk goed, en sonder die vark griep vhpy vhpy

Groete
Sukkelaar
Kyk Noord
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Looks good! Long week ahead indeed Full steam ahead. vhpy
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Had a busy weekend and the new week started with a bang. The weather is bad in CT so my attention is focused a bit on the engine of the Cruiser Only one valve bent out of 24 that is not so bad but at the the rocker end it is still a bit like the aftermath of a small hurricane, at this stage is a bit difficult to locate certain parts. Some of the rocker assembly bridges only come with the cyl head because every thing is line bored.I show a photo of the measuring of the valve on the lathe for out of round. Will have to resort to the Landcruiser club on the net . While waiting for parts I work on the Bosvark and when I can't get the necessary parts what is wrong with machining them ourselves. Between Waterjetting the parts and then machining them anything can be made even an aeroplane. Just some non-aviation pictures.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Valves.jpg
Valves1.jpg
Valves2.jpg
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Die dem ding het heeltemal te veel valves, haal party uit en plak die gate toe met pratley putty! :wink:
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:55 pm

We have passed 30000 hits what a wonderful response. Busy filling in the proving flight authority and all the other paper work . I do not really know who at CAA can evaluate what we have done with the engine management. Only our own in house "Rocket Scientist" knows what is really going on. The aircraft is looking nice just a lot of little things. Mercury has been in the wrong place in the Universe( tongue in cheek ) I had my X-ray machine break had to replace it with a new one , my printer packed up , my cruiser did it's thing , but luckily I'm in good health and also my spirit is not giving in to these earthly trivialities. To every-one supporting a big thanks 30000 is a mean number.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Jip. These cock-ups always happens in 3`s. So you should be OK now. At least for a while. :shock: This turned out to be a VERY busy week. But time flies when you are having fun!! Project X sure keeps us VERY occupied. and for all it`s overbuilt complicatedness, it wil not fly nicer than a BB. :evil:
Taking a drive down to the Fairest tomorrow, some bussines to attend to, and deliver the Animal`s enjaai to the shipping agents. Will look in on your progress tomorrow before lunch sometime. vhpy vhpy