Waiex Project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Waiex Project

Postby LarryMcG » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Jab say ------- Not much. No sorry for mistake, no oh dear me. They sent new rods, but wouldnt pay for labour.

No idea where I stand in terms of guarantee??

Pity no engine mount brackets etc for Rotax!!!

Waiting to see what happens with aerovee engines, then we can chat, George!

L
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Big NO GO in my opinion!! :evil: :evil:

Brand new engine with (seemingly) obvious material defect...... I would check your warrantee carefully If I were you and put pressure on them to cough up :evil: .

I assume you had the work done by an approved Jabiru agent? (or that you were within the requirements of their warrantee?). If so and they still dot want to pay for the repairs (parts & labour), we need to know about it. If that is the case, I would not be interested at ALL to consider any of their products in future...... :evil:

Strongs Larry!
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:06 pm

If you give us a few months and we will have test flown the BMW in tractor form the making of engine mount is no problem.

Cheers Oupa-G
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 pm

HI Guys

Been quiet for a while - finished my ppl, got my Raasa LSA lic through etc, so been hectic.

Waiex now on 21.5 hours, Bob will hopefully fly the balance of the proving hours, doing more aerobatic testing etc. Did some a while ago, loops and rolls etc, looked great from the ground! Need a volunteer to teach me the basics!

Flew again this morning, had her up to 190 mph! Straight and level, 158 mph. Going like a rocket. Getting used to her, take off in about 200m, landing roll about the same, with no hard braking. Very comfortable to fly from 80 - 130 mph.

Had had a few cooling things to sort - oil was going to about 100 deg, so have modified a bit, and with hard climbing, and circuits this morning, couldnt get her to more than 95 deg, so seems all the teething problems are being sorted out.

Proving Autho to fly expires in mid March, and will then be working on final paperwork. After that, should be hopping around the country a bit.

Will be looking at colours, and final finishing touches, luggage bin etc

Cheers

Lm
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi Larry

GLad to hear there is some considerable progress (^^)

You are very quiet about the whole Jabiru thing - your right I suppose :roll: . If it was me, I'd be fuming :evil:

Good luck with the rest of your testing and congrats on your PPL. (^^) Did you have to do it from scratch or only 25 hrs?

Keep the good news coming! :mrgreen:

All the best!
AC
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:01 am

Hi AC

PPl was 35 hours, - only got 10 hours credit for previous flying!!! Very easy to fly the 152's etc, no comparison to the LAS type aircraft.n Exams were the toughest part, but passed 5 of the 7 first try, with mostly good results.

But, it seems I might have jumped the gun, as the Raasa LSA lic is supposed to be going to give 35 hours credit towards ppl, but not sure if and when that will be in place.

For the meantime, I can fly 100 hours on the Waiex towards a com lic, and might then start looking at instructor rating, or something. Time will tell.

Will hopefully see you with the YX sometime!

Cheers

L
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 am

Exciting stuff Larry! 8)

Let us know if/when you decide to fly up to the big smoke. Would love to see you YX up close :wink:
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi Guys

Well, the road has been run! Final Autho to fly received, all done and dusted!!! vhpy vhpy vhpy

Will finish the last few fittings now - luggage bin, fairnings etc. Will now decide on painting or not - probably not - apart from wing tips etc.

Hoping to start doing some longer flights, so that I can fly some rings around the RV 12's ^

Anyone in the area welcome to give me a shout for a flip. Passenger limit - probably 100 kg!!! :oops:

LM
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Congratulations Larry!! (^^)

Its been a long and sometimes frustrating road for you and your family, so it must be really sweet right now (!!) I think she looks quite cool in the natural aluminium finish ... and paint only adds weight :wink:

I am a little puzzled about your staement that your max passenger weight is 100kg? You dont seem to be particularly big or heavy (from the pics I guess not more than 85kg? :twisted: ). Is your plane significantly heavier than the factory specs? do you only have the standard fuel tank?

I dont have the specs with me, but since I seriously considered building a Sonex, I would have looked at the specs carefully. I weigh 112kg, so one of my requirements is to have a plane which can ideally lift 220kg plus full fuel - so something in the region of 280kg + useful load. That way I could at least fly with a mate weiging the same as myself (although it might be too cramped in the SONEX/Waiex cockpit) without having to compromise on fuel?

Hope you can make a longer trip sometime and visit us here in GP - if so please let us know. :mrgreen:

BTW I presume you have compelted your conversion onto her? How did you find the tailwheel conversion and how does she fly?

All the best! vhpy
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Empty weight is 282 Kg, right in the middle of specs. Dont see that I could cut down weight anywhere at all. Maybe cowling?

AUW is shown as 500 kg. leaves me 218 kg. 40 kg full fuel leaves 178 kg for pax and luggage. I'm 87 kg, so leaves 91 kg, at full fuel. All still staying in Cof G limits. Standard fuel tank - 60 L :roll:

A pax of 110 kg might start becoming tight in cockpit. Will take you up, with about 20 l Fuel

With Wife, I can take full fuel, and 15 kg luggage in box. Otherwise start going out of c of g with low fuel.

Plane loves to be flown solo, faster, lighter a real delight! 155 mph WOT, straight and level. 8)

Conversion - thats another story. Did 15 min with one test pilot, 22 with another - 3 circuits, then taught myself to fly. :shock: No previous tailie experince. So - basically VERY easy taildragger to fly!

Will let you know when I get up that way. Thinking about Bethlehem EAA. End August.

Have a great weekend!

L
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm

I must have been mistaken regarding the weights :oops:

Wow its nice and fast! - very impressive (^^)

What is your stall speed with/without flaps?

your conversion sounds like fun! vhpy

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your baby sometime! Bethlehem seems like a good option :mrgreen:

All the best! vhpy
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Looks awesome
Congrats...
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 am

Hey Larry

How about a bit of an update on your Waiex?? :wink:

How is the Jab engine holding up? Did you ever find the root cause of the wear problem? Are you still happy with it or would you have gone for romething else?

All the best
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 am

Hi AC

Will hopefully be visiting EAA and Bethlehem next week!

Have done a bit more, polishing, a bit of painting, and a fair amount of flying. Over 60 hours now.

Have had a few temp problems. Replaced one each of cht and egt probes, to start. All running a lot more evenly now, but egts were all still getting a bit high, right in the cruise band rpm - 2700.

Pulled the Carb needle, hoping to move the clip, only to find the needle only had one slot / position. Contacted local ap, who spoke to jab fact on my behalf. Was basically not given any info. Was told I must get the plane to fact, and they would sort out problems. End of story.

Started trying to get another needle elsewhere, but a local guy said he would machine extra grooves. Two grooves down proved to cool, one groove down seems just right.

Only - and last concerns - slight seep at bottom of fuel tank - jab fact overtightened - and oil temp runs to 100 deg, on a hot day. (max allowed is 100 continous)

BIggest and major problem ....... Its just so much fun!!!!! I really dont want to stop flying, and keep wanting to play!!! JUst like a small fighter! Ask John Waterson, and Steve onions - or any others who have flown!

My son did his first full spins - two rotations each way, and first rolls - a few each way, and is still smiling!!!

See you in Beth!!!

LM
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:38 am

Wow that sounds really positive Larry! Glad to hear that you are clocking up the hours and that its so much fun. (^^) (^^) The niggles are to be expected and are experienced by most new-builds - even on types such as Bushbaby where many have been built.

I honestly hope I can make a plan to get to bethlehem. Is your plan to stay on a bit or to head back home directly after the event?

I'll be sure to contact you if I can make it - would love a closer look

Cheers