Re: Waiex Project

Postby Old, Fat and Hairy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 am

Itching to hear how it's going, Larry. :mrgreen:
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 am

I think Larry is too busy enjoying her to have time for the Forum vhpy vhpy vhpy

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 am

Test Flying taking forever, as Bob has to come up from Port Alfred, and normally only one day a weekend, for an hour or two.

Have only done about 3 hours now. Bob has started on converting my son, who can fly it on his ppl, and another ppl pilot based here, who has lots of cubby time, so should quickly gather the tail dragger aspect. As soon as possible, I need to get someone here, who can fly her legally, so that we can continue tests etc. If caa would move on the sport plane issue, I could get legal as well.

All feed back so far say that the plane is very twitchy. Especially in the pitch. Take off with no flap, at about 50 mph, build up some speed, and climb out fine.
Approach at about 70 mph, over fence at 60, throttle back, and she still floats for about 50 m. Settles and lands fine, 3 pointer.

Cof G seems very good, factory says my weights are perfect. Will need to watch landing c of g, with two people, low fuel and luggage, as the max rear c of g gets to the limit fairly easiliy. Two 95 kg people, no luggage allowable with 4 kg fuel. 32 % max allowable rear. 20 % forward, no problem. Wife and I can safley take 10 kg luggage, and still be in all limits.

Still having some control rigging issues. Having to hold constant left stick, if released, she immediately rolls right. Have adusted right flap and aileron down, to give more lift on that wing, and much better, but still holding a bit of stick.

Seem to have got the rudder and ruddervators balanced now, but might have to look at more adjusting there, to help the right roll issue. Thats why I need someone flying here, daily, to be able to check more issues, with more time for adjustments, and not confusing the issue with trying to get conversions done.

Had a heat issue on Sunday morning. Inlet to carb box is via the naca duct on the left, with a scat hose leading to the box. Pipe came loose, so engine was picking up hot air from around the exhaust etc, so stoped flying, opened cowls etc, to find the pipe loose. Engine was very hot by then, so called off further flying, as ground temp was well over 30, at 8 am!

A little frustrating, but getting there! More when I know more!

Cheers

L
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks for the update Larry!

I can imagine that it is frustrating, but hang in there - I am sure you'll have her sorted shortly :wink:
Old, Fat and Hairy
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Old, Fat and Hairy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:46 am

Maybe adjust the left aileron up a tweak as well?

Sounds great Larry. Definitely have to drop by and see her some time.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:34 am

Hi Larry,

I also had a 'heavy wing' Left wing on the RV. I also tried adjusting ailerons up and down, without too much success.

How is your ailerons formed, is it one skin that is bendt at the Trailing Edge (TE).

If so I can suggest a RV trick. Make sure your Aileron rigging is right and neatural as per the plans.
Then try pinching/squeezing the TE of the Aileron on the Light Wing reducing the bend radius only slightly, only do 1/3 of the aileron at a time.
It takes very little and you will be surprised what a difference it makes. Mine was Left Heavy so I 'fixed' the Right Aileron abit.
Now she flies as straight as an arrow.

See what I wrote here on the RV forum and what tool I used to squeeze the TE:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... hp?t=32977

Regards
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for the update Larry.

You are right in trying to sort out trim issues first before doing anything else.

I am sure that you will have everything dialed in real soon.

I think your problem might lie withn the ruddervators.

Does the manual say anythinh about adjusting the ruddervators for engine torque, ie off set them both a small amount in the same direction.?

Rudi's tip also sounds very promising, especially as his method will result in less drag as opposed to offsetting the ruddervators thereby creating extra drag.

Good luck and keep smiling.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.
RV Sometime
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby RV Sometime » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Larry, I am flying down to the ec this weekend & would love to come & sniff & ogle your baby. Please pm me your contact number if it is possible to meet you. The goose can either come with or park off at Stanleys restaurant :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I am contacting Grumpy Bob too, to catch up with my old mate whilst down there.

I am down from Friday morning until Monday evening.

Regards

Andre
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for advice, and support!

Aileron is a sigle sheet, folded around ribs, so with a trailing edge fold, and a top and bottom fold, with overlap at the thick/ wing side. So might not be able to chane much there, If I recall without plans, I think it has 4 ribs.

Will hopefully report after the weekend again.

Andre, have sent you a pm, look forward to seeing you this weekend.

Best to all
Larry
Still Flying
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Larry,

Good that means the ailerons are the same configuration as the RV, so it means you can try squeezing the TE bend, ever so slightly on the 'light wing'...only do 1/3 at a time.

Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Larry,

Great project and plane, well done (^^)

You could also fit a fixed trim tab on one of the ailerons, I have done it on more than one plane and it works great, once adjusted you can forget about it !

A strip of aluminum, about 15 cm long and 4-5 cm wide is riveted to the trailing edge of the aileron and then bent up or down a bit will sort out your "heavy wing" in no time at all !

The problem with raising or lowering one aileron is that aerodynamic force will push them neutral again in flight. Bending the trailing edge of the aileron will work as well if that can be done easily.

Fly safe and have fun,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
RV Sometime
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby RV Sometime » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 am

Hey, nice of you to take the time out to show me your beauty, Larry. With your permission I would like to publish the pics I took & give a more detailed account of the fineries of your lovely aerie.

Regards

Andre
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:31 am

Hello RVST

Nice to hear from you! Feel free to post anything!

Get home ok? I presume you didnt get to see Bob, I still havnt either :( :?
Weather not great on Sunday when he was supposed to come up, so no more testing.

Spats, fairings and cowls now all in place again, waiting for a pilot!
Any test pilots out there feel like a few days in Grahamstown??? vhpy
I NEEEEDDD to get this done! ##

LM
Still Flying
RV Sometime
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby RV Sometime » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:58 pm

No Grumpy or Dawn never answered their phones over the weekend & I still havent been able to contact him. I am busy until thursday & will post pics & describtion from then, what a beautiful build you did there.
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:40 pm

:( :evil: :twisted: :cry:

Had two test pilots ready on Sunday, but a gale wind!

LM
Still Flying