Waiex Project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Re: Waiex Project

Postby AndyCAP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:58 am

Larry, I must say I am still puzzled by the apparant lack of interest/poor service that you seem to have experienced from Shadowlite/Jabiru in George :? :?

Generally the Jabiru motors seem to be doing well and people seem to be happy with them (I have for example not heard of major problems regarding Jabiru engines in Bantams), but your experience concerns to me - particularly the apparant attitude from the agents that you have had to deal with :?

My feeling is that your experience would cause me to think very carefully before buying a Jabiru motor.... which is a pity since I think its a good product. Problem is you get duds in all products (including Merc, BMW, Toyota etc) but this is usually handled well by the supplier.... this is the bit that seems to be lacking with jabiru aftermarket service based on your experience? perhaps its only restricted to customers who only buy the engine and not a complete Jabiru plane.....? :roll:
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 pm

One of the local flight schools was doing around 300 hours a month on Jabiru planes, but eventually gave up and switched to Tecnams. They love the planes, but hate the service...

Personally, all my dealings with the factory have been very positive - except for the fact that I can't afford the engine :twisted: !
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Oi! Larry!

How about an update on your Waiex? how is it treating you and how is the Jabbie motor doing?
How many hours on the hobbs?
Whats good & whats not so good about your plane

I am REALLY keen to hear!! :wink:
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Waiex now on about 120 hours, going very well. Temps etc seem to have stabilzed - but still have to keep a bit of an eye on egt no 2, will run hot if not altered, right in the cruise band - +- 2600 rpm. Throttle a bit more - or less sorts out.

My son has been practising rolls, enjoying it a lot. I havent got there yet.

Plane is great - feels like flying a little fighter, very fast and nippy. Low passes at nearly 200 mph wakes you up very quickly!
High hour ppl and com pilots battle to get the hang of her - way to sensitive. Needs someone used to the small, light aeries. Stall is a handful - will give very good warning, lots of buffet etc, pull back a bit more, and will normally flick over into a spin, unless caught. Spins well, normal recovery after 2 - 3 rotations, no prob. Left and right.

Been flying a lot in Oribi - training - 50 hours in last few weeks - extremely docile and easy to fly - very different! Not enough time to fly Waiex!!! Might try to get to Durbs area soon.

Cheers

L
Still Flying
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:12 pm

If ever in Jhb area or FAVB wuld love to check it out. (maybe shoot down to PMB over weekend for flippie) (^^) (^^) (^^) Keen to build one rather than the RV9 due to cost and better performance.... Was going to Osh to test drive this year (been trying to get there for last 8 years), but have 3 big tenders in and if either is accepted, no chance.... AGAIN :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Larry

Thats some exciting feedback! You okes have not played around putting on hours (^^) (^^) (!!) Sounds like a lovely little toy vhpy

Can you give us an indication of the slow speed handling and speeds ( I know we can get figures off the net - but I am interested in your figures.)

What is your feeling about the Jabbie motor.... now that you've had time to get over your initial glitches? Is 85 Hp sufficient for the airframe when fully loaded? What sort of Rate of climb does it typically get?

Have you completed the construction now or are there still some outstanding items? and Paint?

How about a recent pic of her?

PLease excuse all the questions - its just exciting to see that you are actually using the Waiex and that she seems to be performing to expectation :mrgreen:
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 am

Slow speed is fine - can slow down to trike speed, although she does become a little wobbly. Not unhappy at 70 - 80 mph, below 50 feels like she might want to fall. Very wide speed range.

In retrospect, I think a stronger engine would be better, if planning on long distance, at full load. We flew to Bethlehem - about 4 hours, with full fuel, and full load, lugge etc, and speeds drop a lot. Cruise down to 110 mph, so might be better to have more hp. Jabbie seems to be fine now, and gives perfect performance for fun flying here, 1 or two up, provided that both are a reasonable weight. Im about 90 kg, and find that I feel a heavy pax - say 105 kg upwards - a lot.

1 up climb is normally 7 - 900 fpm, at 100 + mph, two up just a bit less, obviously depending on the day.

Am going to re-install spats and fairings - broke off originally - mounted to low, with no reinforcing. Now reinforced, and painted. Stats say tht will make a 13 mph difference! Will post a pic once done. Not going to paint - will add uneccessary weight - probably 12 - 15 kg.

Happy to fly to a venue somewhere for all to look - where, when??? Was at Bethlehem!

L
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks for the info Larry

Looks really good! (^^)

About 18 months ago I spoke to Vladimir of Rainbow aircraft. He was housing a Zim registered Sonex with a J3300 motor which was for sale at the time and did about 6.5 hours in it. At that stage he was actually very impressed with it saying that it performs very similar to the 912 Cheetah, but with a higher top speed - 138mph. He said it stalled at about 38mph with full flap which really impressed him. He said with a bit of practice he could land in the same distance as a 912 cheetah and the TO was the same too.

His biggest gripe was the brakes which were not very good and the fact that it never seemed to stay in trim. He would trim it for level flight at a RPM settign and then few minutes later is would start to descend (without changin any other setting including RPM). Then he would retrim, it would fly level again and then it would start to climb after a few minutes - again without any configuration or rpm change. He contacted Sonex in the States who apparantly acknowledged that this was due to the plane being rigged with a tailplane at 0 degrees to get higher top end speed - but that the plane was not unsafe in that configuration and that they would not consider changing the design. His own conclusion was that it was not unsafe, but that it meant that one has to fly it in pitch all the time and that this would be tireing over a long distance flight. The trim mechanism may also have played a role in this?

All of this is word of mouth, but I have no reason to believe that it is untrue. How does this compare with your experience?
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Sonex do acknowledge that the plane needs to be flown - mine the same - go to sleep and youre in for a fright - but they say that this is normal, being aerobatic etc. Doesnt worry me - im very seldom straight and level anyway! vhpy

Brakes defintely not great, even though I paid for the machined brake drums etc, but would be nice to fit toe brakes, or hydraulic of some sort - but I dont want to work anymore - to busy flying.

My stall about the same - 39 mph indicated, but will flick over if not caught.

My trim pretty useless - I dont bother with it at all anymore. Shity mechnanism - basically just a spring pulling back on the elevator push rod.

Knew about the one at rainbow - also had an engine problem at some stage - not sure what happened to it, might have gone back to Zim?

One is also being test flown in PE - with aerovee engine, but having problems with setup of the aerocarb. Seems to be performing well from a flying point of view - got about 2 hours or something. Not sure how the others in the country are doing - Jack Onderstall in Bloem was finished, but battling with paperwork.

L
Still Flying
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the info Larry

Also dont know what happened to the Zim plane. I know the CAA were very sticky about letting it fly here in SA.

That Sonex (conventional tail) had a trim-tab on the elevator (like a Cessna does) , but the bowden cable and mechanism in the cockpit was a bit dodgy. I presume its not possible to have a simple trimmer on the Waiex since the Rudder and elevator functions are performed by the Vtail. So the simplest is to move the neutral point of the balancing spring.... simple idea but not so simple to get to work reliably... :roll:

Good luck with your flying! (^^)
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Hey Larry. Its been quite a while... How is your Waiex doing?
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 am

Hey Larry! How about an update? How is your Waiex doing? Are you still happy? What woul you change and what are you happy with? Happy flying