2014-03-21-3049.jpg
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Rotax 532 powered KR2

Postby Henni » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi Avgas,

The KR2 thrust line is in line with the top longeron. Will keep it there. I'll to do a weight & balance calc with both me & Monica onboard & thus determine the exact location of the engine. I'm not going to modify the current engine. I'll install & fly as is.

Next I'll save up for a Jabiru 6cyl and she'll undergo some surgery again. This would then be my final & ultimate mod to this aircraft & she'll be everything I've always wanted. For the moment though funds dictate & I long to fly again, so can't wait for my piggy bank to comply.

All the best mate,

Henni
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Henni, I notice that is a "B-box" that you have there on the 532.........dont, whatever you do , modify the engine for more power. The B-box does NOT take kindly to a lot of power.
Jean
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Willie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Willie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Baie welkom by die KR gemeenskap.Die neus van jou KR2 gaan baie lank moet wees om die cg re te kry. Skuif die battery so ver moontlik vorentoe. Die VW weeg gewoonlik so 80kg. Maak jou bradstof tenks in die stub vlerke van aliminium. n Neus bradstof tenk voeter rond met jou trim soos die brandstof minder raak.
Geniet
http://www.africa-24.com/results3.php?p ... pa=fe_path
ZS-APM C182
ZS-UJC Hatz
ZS-VTV Thunderbird MK4
ZU-EJD Thorp T-18
ZS-PPT Tecnam Sierra
ZS-UGS VP2
ZS-UNC KR2
ZS-AEG Trike (Crashed @ Hippo Pools))
ZS-DMW Tripacer Crashed 1985
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 am

Hi everyone,

Tx for all the advice. Willie, I'm baffled by the KR2 with the Rotax 582 as per the pics above. I've studied those pics over & over. The seats are in the normal position, yet the engine is mounted only slightly forward. I do not for the life of me see what he did to get the cg in place. Note that he flies two up as well. My 532 is listed as 103lbs empty. Add to that a starter, battery & prop and the difference is not all that much. Yes, my intention is to mount the battery as far forward as possible. I'm also going to pad the back of the seats with thick material to move the seating arrangement slightly forward. I don't think I'm going to install the pre-molded header tank, so I should have much more legroom as the knees can go higher.

Jean, I'm going to use the engine exactly as is for now. Maybe I'll even use the prop as is. I know from personal experience that those special curved trailing edge GEO Kelly props climbs like a bat - I've been there myself! This KR2 uses the RAF48 airfoil, therefor climbout speed = 70mph. The prop came of a dual Flightstar, so should be good enough for 90 - 120 mph which is fine for the moment (Remember that the KR2 will have much less drag, so prop should yield a higher speed before running out of pitch). It will at least get me flying & should give good take-off performance two up.

Then I'll start saving for something better. Aiming for the Jab 6 cyl, but there are many other options out there. Price will dictate - hopefully 80hp or more & it HAS to be much lighter than a VW. I do not want a heavy Kr2 at all.

Will get the aluminium for the engine mount this week. I have two cowls. Will modify the one for the Rotax 532 & use the other one either for a mold or for the next engine. Can't wait to get started on her.

Anyone knows where I can get bigger, but very light wheels? Brakes are not a most have for me? My MXII microlight had brakes on the nose wheel which consisted of no more than a semi circular shape right above the wheel lined out with rubber that pushers down on the tyre when required. Simple, yet very effective & easy to make.

Keep well everyone,

Henni
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:36 am

Anyone knows where I can get bigger, but very light wheels? Brakes are not a most have for me? My MXII microlight had brakes on the nose wheel which consisted of no more than a semi circular shape right above the wheel lined out with rubber that pushers down on the tyre when required. Simple, yet very effective & easy to make.

You will need good brakes.!!
At least for power checks and turn around on runway. You may also have to save her one day with the brakes. :shock:
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 am

Hi Avgas,

Please read again & see what I intend to do about the brakes. I just do not need built in brakes on the wheels. If I can find bigger, light wheels with brakes, yes, that will be great. She must be able to use grass runways as well. But I do not want anything heavy on that aircraft. I am considering changing into a "nose dragger" & then I only need brakes on the nose wheel. Still pondering on this though as changes add a lot of completion time with it and I want to fly, not build!

She has split flaps. That will help a lot with shorter landings. This is where a normal KR2 seriously come short as the slippery shape does not want to loose excess airspeed and according to everything I've read floats forever if approach speed too high.

Light takes care of most of these problems. I'm not trying to be a wise @ss, but please remember that this will be a microlight in the shape of a KR2.

Cheers mate,

Henni

Note: Does anyone have the contact detail for Peter Eich? He used to make fibreglass instrument panels and also seat backrests that could be adjusted forward.

Also, does anyone know what type of paint Craig used to spray the interior of his recently completed KR2 & where this could be purchased from?

The caption below every pic says it all...
Attachments
040929230.jpg
Wheel size I have in mind should I keep taildragger configuration.
IMG01201-20110904-1723.jpg
Paint I have in mind for interior
plane1.jpg
Cowling I have in mind - not the bottom part though!
Rear%20window2.jpg
Nice nose dragger configuration should I go that route.
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 am

negative on nose wheel braking.
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Avgas,

Okay, tx for the advice. Worked well on my MXII, but then she was nearly flat on the ground with no spring action to the nose wheel. I can see that this might cause problems on a KR2.

Regards,

Henni
AndreJ
Signed up at flight school

Postby AndreJ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:37 pm

To go for the nose wheel is fine but don't use it for breaking!!!
It will put a large amount of strain on it and also struggle with control at speed while breaking.

Regards

Andre' vhpy
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Tx Andre,

I'll let go of that idea. Brakes will be mains only then.

All the best,

Henni
Willie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Willie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Henni wrote:Tx Andre,

I'll let go of that idea. Brakes will be mains only then.

All the best,

Henni
Onafhanklike brieke help baie om die sterwiel vliegtuig onder beheer te hou as jou spoed afneem. :idea:
http://www.africa-24.com/results3.php?p ... pa=fe_path
ZS-APM C182
ZS-UJC Hatz
ZS-VTV Thunderbird MK4
ZU-EJD Thorp T-18
ZS-PPT Tecnam Sierra
ZS-UGS VP2
ZS-UNC KR2
ZS-AEG Trike (Crashed @ Hippo Pools))
ZS-DMW Tripacer Crashed 1985
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Henni!

Wow, nice to see you here and even nicer to see you are now a proud KR owner, congratulations!!

As long as you get the CoG right it is going to fly well being so light. I cannot wait to see her flying.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Willie,

Tx, that's exactly what I'll do. TX for the post on Avcom.

Hi Rudix,

Great to hear from you. Yes, she will definitely fly two up over here most of the time. This time round I'll do much more than fly around the patch only, that's a solemn promise. We intend to visit the Southcoast quite regular. Even if its a small space to be occupied by two adults for just over two hours at a time.

I'll fetch the material for engine mount before week end. Then I'll start in earnest to get her finished and registered.

Nice chatting to you guys.

All the best,

Henni
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:49 am

Henni wrote: Hi Rudix,

Great to hear from you. Yes, she will definitely fly two up over here most of the time. This time round I'll do much more than fly around the patch only, that's a solemn promise. We intend to visit the Southcoast quite regular. Even if its a small space to be occupied by two adults for just over two hours at a time.

I'll fetch the material for engine mount before week end. Then I'll start in earnest to get her finished and registered.

Nice chatting to you guys.

All the best,

Henni
Hi Henni!

I am sure she is going to fly well being light! Good luck with the project, let me know if I can help, I do have some spares including instruments if you need something.

I fondly remember our flying sessions in the past, had lots of fun, hope we can do it again in the future, this time just faster and further ;)

Keep well,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)