Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Rotax 583 powered KR2

Postby HennivR » Sun May 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Jean,

Daar is baie enjins te koop hier as mens geld het. Het die BMW, 503. 582 en 583 gesien wat te koop is. Het reeds R6000 op laasgenoemde betaal voordat ek my werk en ook my betaling en enjin verloor het as 'n direkte gevolg. Vir die 503 sou ek dalks 'n plan kon maak, maar ek dink werk verrigting sal nie baie goed wees daarmee nie en dit weeg bykans soveel as die 582 ten volle toegerus - moeilik om te glo maar waar.

Ek verdien nou nie meer naastenby soveel soos voorheen nie, so ek moet maar mooi besin oor alles wat ek doen. Man, ek sou daardie BMW gesmaak het!!! Dink ek gaan my doelwit met ligte gewig verruil vir hoe spoed. Glo ek gaan maar 'n volla gebruik, vol elektries met turbo. Dit verander die hele prentjie. Ek kan slegs doen wat binne my bereik is - drome maak net seer op die einde. As ek by die enjin kom en op een of ander manier dit kan bekostig, sal ek vir die ses cylinder Jabiru gaan. Ligter as turbo Volla met 20 meer perde.

Jean, jy kan nie dalks my vraag oor die hout en lym antwoord nie?

Herewith some pics of the KR2 that cruises at 192mph with a turbo VW engine. My dream was to build the lightest KR2 ever. The engine would be the main factor to achieve this. As it stands, a non electric VW with magneto would be bulky & the mag seems to be heavy. Although still for sale, The Rotax 583 that I intended to use initially is currently out of my financial reach. I can only go ahead with what I can afford for now. However, a turbo Type IV VW that I will build up myself is within my immediate reach.

Thus I'll change my goal from the lightest KR2 ever built to the fastest one ever built. I'll still keep the weight as low as I can. My ideas for the fuselage will remain unaltered. Only this time I'll change the plain flaps to the slotted type & will disregard my initial idea for using piano hinges on the tail feathers. Plans for the slotted flaps fitted to the exact KR2 wing I plan to use can be found here. My wings will only be shorter & not as wide at the root. And my wing spars will be built from wood as per the original KR2 plans.

Note the Type IV engine installation right at the bottom. This standard plans built KR2 managed an average speed of 185mph in a recent race with a Pioneer 300. This included flying in both directions, so a tailwind did not influence these numbers.

Cheers all,

Henni
Attachments
192_03.jpg
192_04.jpg
192_05.jpg
192_06.jpg
192_07.jpg
192_08.jpg
192_09.jpg
192_10.jpg
Construction.jpg
The KR2 must still be rated as the easiest & quickest aircraft to build from scratch.
VW Type IV.jpg
The exact installation I plan for now
VW Type IV_02.jpg
The exact installation I plan for now.
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Mon May 29, 2017 8:39 am

Different PSRUs on VW installations.

Which one is used on the Cubby?
Attachments
00512.jpg
ba0c31b1fa250c399bd582f9677ff1a8.jpg
ba0c31b1fa250c399bd582f9677ff1a8.jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 9928 times
Dcp01196.jpg
phone_pics2_169.145224952_large.jpg
reddrfrtsml.jpg
REDDRSD.JPG
reductor2.jpg
sonka3.jpg
volkswagenaircraftenginereductiondrive.jpg
vw-aeronaves.jpg
VWPSRU11.JPG
VWPSRU12.JPG
VWPSRU13.JPG
VWPSRU14.JPG
waco-1.jpg
zenith_cowl-012.jpg
premium-engine-08.jpg
PSRU5of5.jpg
scgsmith04.jpg
Redrive-PSRU-plans-for-2-stroke-Rotax-type-motor.jpg
untitled.jpg
rdrivekit.jpg
belt_red.jpg
bfredk.jpg
d54fd6901fb7f6cc0a2368739faa5a4d.jpg
geardr413b.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
images1DMRJNWJ.jpg
imagesXWVNNF4M.jpg
img-2203.jpg
lcred.jpg
LFTV2275.JPG
max.jpg
Last edited by HennivR on Mon May 29, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
weedy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby weedy » Mon May 29, 2017 10:26 am

re glue
Epidermix 372 would be my choice of glue

abe.co.za
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG (12.04 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
Claude
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Mon May 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Wow!

Thank you Weedy. See they have a branch right here in Durban. I appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,

Henni
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Hennie
Some advise from an old dog that has paid the price of ill advice. You may not like to hear what I have to say but it comes from my heart.
Get the book Ac 43 acceptable practices in aviation that will give you lots of info.
Find an AP that understands this kind of project and that can advise you all along the way. Remember he has to sign it off bit by bit and if the correct materials are not used he will leave you on your own.
Wood is good but speak to an expert. It has it has its tricks.
Stick to the plans and keep it simple. Things that have benn proven over and over gives confidence. Remember if you change from the plan you become a prototype builder.
You will need a test pilot. Not many test pilots fly home made concoctions. Especially if they are fast.
Your dreams might not be appreciated by all.
Good luck
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi Avgas,

Thank you so much for your good advice and well justified concern. I hear & understand exactly what you say. Please rest assured that everything I base my goals on in this project comes from things I've seen other KR2 builders do successfully. I intend to use a combination of all of these in my project. As such I post links and photos wherever I can to verify the implementation of these.

I have no intention of tampering with the basic airframe except lengthening it as most builders do nowadays. I do intend shuffling things around a bit on the inside of this airframe, yet still keep the cg where it should be. The seats will still be carried by the main spar & so will the gear. As for the top empennage, it is here where most KR2 builders play to there heart's content & one can virtually make it to look like anything without effecting the structural strength in the least.

As for the wings, the new "in" thing amongst KR2 builders is to lengthen the outboard section of the wings using an added foam spar only - I have posted pics of this in this thread. In addition, I read about some of them doing low high speed flybys at 245 mph indicated when the vne using standard wings is stated as 210 mph indicated in calm weather. (I do not intend doing same as I am not totally insane) In addition the standard wings are stressed for plus & minus 7 g's. My wings from fuselage to tip will not be longer than any of these modified outboard wings. To make up for the area lost, I intend to use flaps, either plain or slotted. I posted links for the design of these also. I know that this will place additional torsional loads on the rear spar, I know exactly how I will compensate for this by spreading these rotational forces to the main spar at each flap hinge attach point.

Without me purchasing the book as suggested, can you or anyone please tell me outright if Saligna wood is accepted for experimental aircraft construction in South Africa as stated by Anton Manneschyn. I am about to purchase my first bundle of wood. Spruce is hellishly expensive and clear Oregon only slightly less so.

Kind regards,

Henni
Last edited by HennivR on Mon May 29, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Mon May 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Henni, daai eerste KR het n Revmaster Turbo engine in.
As for the re-drives, none shown is what the Cubby used....note "used". All new Cubby aircraft are developed for acknowledged aircraft engines, not converted engines with belt re-drives vhpy If I could recommend any belt re-drive I would suggest the one from Valley Engineering. It has a multi-V belt with a tensioner, not a tooth belt. I have a re-drive like this in stock.
Henni contact a company called Aerontech , owned by Graham Blythe,...yes, Mike Blythe`s brother vhpy . He will advise you on the correct epoxy to use for your project, also glass cloth and resin.
Jean.
Last edited by Jean Crous on Mon May 29, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Mon May 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi Jean,

Thank you so much, I will. Won't you please mail me privately about your PSRU in stock? Also, who will give me an answer on Saligna wood?

Kind regards,

Henni
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Henni, speak to Pieter de Necker, he builds propellers from saligna, or speak to a man called Kevin Hopper, he designed the Teddy aircraft and used saligna.
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Aha!

Thank you Jean, that was all I needed to hear. Thank you so much for your feedback. Saligna it will be & I know how to look out for the best quality in these.

As for the PSRU: In my humble opinion the biggest advantage would be to no longer put tension loads on the stock VW crank, even with the modified thrust washers installed in the front. Cranks breaking is about the only serious complaints I've ever read on VW installations and I have only come across one or two of those. I'll feel safer by letting a well designed top thrust bearing take care of the pull force instead.

Jean, in order to get a build number, I need a set of KR2 plans. Before I purchase this new abroad, do you not know of anyone with an abandoned KR2 project who would be willing to sell their plans to me?

Kind regards,

Henn
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon May 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Henni
That is/was the most common project that prospective builders started so post on Avcom and everywhere else and you are bound to find one or more lying around in various states of repair. And I am sure you will do someone a favour just to take it over. Obviously the plans and build nr will go with it.
Tony vd Heuvel, John Rheeder and Russel Phillips are some that I can remember that build good KR's There were a lot of KR builders but some of them are no longer with us.
It is an under rated aircraft but needs a pilot with experience.
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 am

Hi Avgas,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I will follow this up.

Kind regards,

Henni
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 am

Hi all,

Found another KR2 with tapered wings all the way to the fuselage. I'll try to find some more detail on it.

Kind regards,

Henni
Attachments
untitled.jpg
HennivR
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HennivR » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Great!

Find a firm close to me that does not only sell high grade saligna, but they are also cutting & planning everything to the exact sizes as specified. I can collect within three working days.

I no longer have to drive my neighbours insane with all the noise...

Tomorrow I'll pick up the glue. Monday I'll try to arrange for the pressed wood building board. My new project is at last underway once again!

Cheers all,

Henni
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 am

Hi Henni, great to see you are back and planning/building again!

I love your project, I am sure your plane will be special when it is finished. I agree, stick to a direct drive VW, the reduction drive won't buy you much on a KR. If you need info/help just shout!

Maybe we will fly together again one of these days....

Keep well and happy building!
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)