A trike is re born. ZU DBP

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Bateleur
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: A trike is re born. ZU DBP

Postby Bateleur » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 pm

That prop that is on the trike at the moment was cracked and fixed, we just used it to run the motor but Hans said that it can not be used to fly unfortunately.

My poor boy, Josh really burnt his finger on the soldering iron while we where soldering the chatterbox wires. I couldn’t understand why he was standing holding the cold nudge bar of my bakkie all morning on Saturday. He didn’t want us to know he burnt on the iron, shame man. Then last night he bit and tore of the blisters starting the burn all over. At least now he knows what a soldering iron is. ## ##

Al, MIN DAYS boet. I keep on staring at the packaged wing here at the office. Can’t wait to open and spread it!!
(^^) (^^) (^^)
Stef Oosthuizen
Step it up a notch!!
ZU DBP
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Ordered some custom vinyl stickers for the trike. 8)

This one will be going on the front of the Banana Pod (In white cut out vinyl)...Had to do the "live to fly, fly to live"...BIG Maiden fan me! (!!)
SANY0003.JPG
This we are putting on the profile tube where the "Aquilla" one usually is (in black).....Stef's Motto! :lol:
SANY0004 (2).JPG
...and of course DBP's new name (in white)....this will be going on the Pylon Fairing, also where the "Aquilla" one usually is.
SANY0005.JPG
Bateleur
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Bateleur » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

I just spoke to Hans. He is still jolling down in Port Edward but he will be back at Micro Land on Saturday morning 8am to help us fit the wing and prop. (^^) At last we can open this package and see what the new wing looks like!! vhpy
Attachments
Wing2.jpg
Stef Oosthuizen
Step it up a notch!!
ZU DBP
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Nice one Guys.

You keep pushing, you are almost there.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 am

And so they say....each journey must come to an end.

DBP is now a fully functional aircraft. "The Beautiful Dawn" is now ready to take to the sky where she belongs.

I cannot tell you how much Stef and I have learnt over the last 3 months. I am actually in awe of how much we achieved in such a short space of time...I really thought this would be a much longer project when we saw the result of that fateful day in March. So many people to thank...

Firstly, Hans Schoten. Without your experience and guidance, and certainly the many man hours you put in here, we would not even have been able to attempt to rebuild our plane. THANK YOU SIR!

Secondly, to my long suffering mate Stefan, who has just about bankrupted himself to make good on what he saw as his responsibilities. Baie Dankie Chom. :)

Gavin V D Berg (Airmagic)
Tom Linley
Fanie Deysel
Nigel Coutts (NC)
Craig Couzens and Denise from Microcraft Africa. Got great service!

Also a big thank you to all our flying buddies here and elsewhere who kept the "morale" up where it needed to be. (^^)

On March 17th we had this....
IMG_0819.JPG
Today we have this. vhpy vhpy vhpy
IMG-20120623-00479.jpg
IMG-20120623-00486.jpg
IMG-20120623-00502.jpg
SANY0011.JPG
SANY0010.JPG
Now just to get the paperwork out the way and we can head for the horizon (^^)

I had to fight every bone and muscle in my body not to take her for a "test" ## :lol:

I cant tell you guys how happy Stef and I am. (^^) (^^)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 am

WOW Alan, Stef, she looks beautiful!!! (^^) (^^)

How smooth is that leading edge??? :shock: :shock: Best I park a distance from you at the next fly in otherwise the Beautiful Seductive Temptress will be pushing me to get her a new wing!!!! :lol:

Well done to both of you for you patience and commitment to get your lady in the air again!

Happy Days soon!!! (^^)
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Well done guys
http://www.valleyflightsmicrolighting.com
Jabiru Instructor ( Grade B)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 am

....the Top Gun CD has officially been loaded back into the Isuzu's front loader! :lol: (!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wonb7zrg ... re=related
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 am

Alan/Stef
This is MOOI

Would love to see her at the Kroon Fly in next Saturday!!
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Wow, good job guys - Glad DBP will take to air soon again - Magic airy that (^^)
Big D
Jetman
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Jetman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:36 am

Well done Alan and Stef. Great job. She's looking beautiful. Fly safe!!!

Skin
ZU-FDE Apollo Delta Jet
ZU-IHK Sling
ONE LIFE....LIVE IT
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm

WOW WOW WOW and WOW again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

I was one of the last people watching (in slow motion, it seems in my memory) The Dark Blue Princess as she careered of on her way to self destruction. I have to tell you guys - In my wildest dreams I could not imagine what I now witness on those photos! This trike is beautiful, and I have to take my hat of for your persistence. If there was ever any proof needed that you are truly passionate - that proof has now been delivered!

Guys, I am really SEVERELY impressed by your level of commitment. I Salute You both. GREAT JOB! vhpy vhpy

(I have to add this: The amount of awesomeness of this trike have been increased tremendously by the introduction of those big sections of YELLOW on the wings. You'll see - it will fly MUCH better now - ask any cropsprayer!) :wink: :wink:

And I love the new name! It carries meaning, to those who know the story... vhpy vhpy
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Official soundtrack of "The Beautiful Dawn" We'll have to get some footage together and make a video of her in flight! (^^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEcpwSenouQ
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks guys, James I'm humbled by your words. :)

At the end of the day we are just pilots...once you earn your wings there's no turning back. Amazing what you can achieve when you are passionate about something. vhpy

LOVE THAT VIDEO :twisted: (^^)

Dude if you knew what a die hard Maiden fan I am you would know that "Aces High" was very close to the top of the list of names for DBP. :lol:
Brings back great memories of my "band days" with the other original members of Cutting Jade.Yes...believe it or not CJ was originally a Metal band, started out as JADE which is just a word we made up out of the first letters of our names. We added the "CUTTING" because it sounded more hard core! :twisted: :lol:
This song was played at almost every practice session we had....we loved to get stuck into those riffs just for the hell of it. We could never play it live as none of us could get close to the notes Bruce Dickenson hits on this one. :lol:

Man I miss those days.... vhpy

"live to fly.....fly to live" (!!)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:53 am

Hurry up......and wait. :roll:

Earliest avalable CAA inspection date...two weeks time? :evil:

In any other circumstance, RAASA is authorised to issue the ATF.For reasons only known to the CAA....they (the CAA) must issue the ATF after an accident. I have no issue with the plane being checked by two different AP's, in fact I agree 100% with that. But why oh why does the CAA have to check it a 3rd time? Why have an AP scheme if they are not able to give the plane final "Inspection"??

With two seperate inspections and a trip to RAASA I could have had this done in a day.....now.....we must wait.

And the Authorities wonder why so many people do not report incidents/accidents. :roll: