Rudi's KR2 ZS-VYZ

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Rudi's KR2 ZS-VYZ

Postby Rudix » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Here is a report I hoped I would never have to write!!!

The take-off was uneventful and the air was nice and stable. I first did a few touch and goes. After that I flew to Kittyhawk, where I also did a touch and go. I then climbed up to 6300' (about 1500 AGL) and headed back to Rhino Park to join overhead. Once at my chosen altitude I leveled off and set the throttle at 30" manifold pressure, I wanted to see what cruise speed that would produce. She accelerated nicely, she was flying like a champion and I was really having fun. At this point I had been in the air for around 1 hour.

I had a GPS on the seat next to me, I had a look at it to see how the ASI speed compared to the ground speed. The GPS was on its side so I moved my hand from the stick (center stick with throttle on the left) to turn the GPS around.

Suddenly all hell broke loose, there was a bang and the canopy flew open, as it opened the plane pitched down violently going into a steep dive. Every single loose object in the plane, maps, books and other objects were sucked right out of the plane. My baseball cap and headset also flew off and out, I must have been at negative G for a moment.

I grabbed the stick and tried to pull the nose up. Full up still had me in a dive. I closed the throttle to try and slow things down but I was still diving, I could see the ground rushing closer. I could not believe this was happening to me!!

I realized I had to try and get the canopy closed, even just partial if possible. The KR's canopy hinges forward and it was being sucked open sitting at around 45+ deg open. I grabbed the stick with my left hand and reached up to grab the canopy handle with my right hand. I just managed to get my fingers on it on the third try and I pulled it down, I could not pull it closed all the way, it was still sitting at around 15cm open at the back. I could feel the wooden handle flexing and I was scared it would break, that would have been BAD so I did not force it any further, there was no way I could latch it anyway as it was quite a difficult process at the best of times. As I closed the canopy the plane zoomed up (I was still holding full up with my left hand).

I managed to stabilize the plane level and slightly descending, the engine was at a slow idle but I still needed around 1/4 up elevator travel to stop it from diving. The partially open canopy was really disturbing the aerodynamics of the plane!

I managed to orientate myself and noticed I was on a late downwind for runway 27 at rhino Park, this plane covers a lot of ground quickly!

As I was descending and quite low by now (I lost around 700' during the recovery) I started my base turn, I could see that she was not gliding nearly as well as with a closed canopy and I realized I was not going to make the runway, I tried to shorten my base/final by doing a continuous turn but it was still not enough, I needed a bit more power but there was the problem, my right hand was hanging onto the canopy for dear life and my left hand was holding around 1/4 up elevator, if I let go of either I would have a problem as I was now quite low. There was no way I could reach the throttle, not even with my left elbow, I did try!

The engine idle was very low by now and I could see it was going to stop any moment (Mixture was leaned out), I then realized I had to land her in the long grass/marsh before the runway, avoiding the ridge of the raised runway and a small dam. I was now really low, maybe 20 feet so I started pulling up slowing her down as much as possible. It was incredible how she slowed down, just above the grass I was at full up, nose pointing up and the airframe buffeting quite a lot, I would guess at not much more than 40mph.

The engine had stopped by now with the prop sitting at an angle, I leveled her wings as much as I could and waited to become a passenger. She touched down in a perfect 3 point attitude, for a second all was well then the left wheel hit a hole hidden in the long grass. The nose went down and hit but bounced up again, the plane veered violently to the left and then the right wheel hit a hole as well, down went the nose again, this time I thought she was going over but she did not, finally stopping in a cloud of dust and steam (steam from the dew on the grass on the hot engine)

I finally let go of the canopy and elevator, switching the mags and master off and closing the fuel cock.

My next thought was to get out and I was next to the plane in no time. I did a quick check on myself showed no damage.

The plane did not look too bad!

Touch down point........

That's me, happy to be ok but sad for my baby!

Taking her back to the hangar after CAA gave me an ok to recover her.

I did not have time for a mayday, since the PTT is right next to the throttle I could not reach it anyway and my headset was gone, nobody seemed to notice I went down even though there were 2 planes in the air and a few people at the field but nobody in sight. I started walking back to my hangar, I was around 30m short of the runway.

Soon a plane flew low over me with the pilot showing me a thumbs up asking if I was ok, I showed him yes. He must have radioed the people at the flying school because soon a few vehicles were racing towards me with fire extinguishers and medical help. I told them I was fine! They gave me a lift back to my hangar where I got my camera and a few friends with a 4 x 4 and a trailer. Our local safety officer (Thanks Alex!) contacted CAA, since there were no injuries or serious damage they told us it is ok to move the plane.

Once the plane was back in the hangar I could look at the damage, it turned out not too bad! There was slight damage to the bottom skins of the wing-stub where the landing gear pulled out. The landing gear itself is ok as it was designed to have a weak point, small bolts on each side, that would break separating the landing gear from the metal bar that is bolted to the main spar. This prevents damage to the main spar.

The pitot tube also tore out but there is no damage to the wing, I just need to glue it back in again. The cowling survived well, there is some paint missing at the bottom and three mounting holes were damaged, easy to repair. The prop was broken so that would need to be replaced. The spinner also has a small crack but easy to repair.

Back in the hangar, my one legged baby, paint missing from the bottom cowling :(

Before flying her again I WILL install 3 more latches on the canopy, one at the back in the middle similar to the one's found on RV's and two smaller latches at the bottom back. I will be able to check all these easily so no more surprises!

After putting her away I went for a nice relaxing flight in my Bush Baby, doing the "getting back on the horse" thing :D

I still love my KR!

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Ohhhh hellll Rudix !!!!!! I saw this on avcom and have been waiting to read the full story - WELL DONE chap. You did a magnificent job and kept your head, so congrats on a successful outcome. She will be repaired and flying shortly, of that I have no doubt.

vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
RV9
DISH
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Rudi,

Saam met jou dankbaar dat jy heelhuids daarvan afgekom het. Jy het die REGTE ding gedoen. AFTA. (^^) ...... EN die errie kan weer reg gemaak word! vhpy
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Well done Rudi (^^)
Calm and collected saved the day (^^)
Jy sal moet roer om die KR reg te kry vir Nylstroom :lol:
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks Dish!

Dankie Boet en Avgas!

Ja, sy moet reg wees lank voor Nylstroom, sal die naweek aan haar begin werk (^^)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Well done, and glad to see you're ok, and the plane's not too bad! (^^)
Plane-less
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 pm

:( :( :( Ai Rudi, ek is net bly jy is OK. Dit was n goeie landing.......jy kan die aerie weer gebruik (^^) (^^)
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Eish!
Scary how easily that could have ended in tears.
Nice save Rudi.
Nottaquitta
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 am

Net baie bly jy kon wegloop van die storie! Die aerie kan weer reggemaak word.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 am

Hi Rudi
I am very glad that you are safe
Staying pro-active and trying to get the plane flying was your saving grace
Regards
Big Mac
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 am

Rudi

Really sorry to read this report.
I am glad you did not get hurt or damage your baby too much.

From the Pix it is fixable ## ## ##

First step is to confirm why the canopy popped open.

Strongs dude.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
willemgreyling
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby willemgreyling » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:51 am

Hi Rudi, so glad you are ok vhpy Well executed landing, well done! Thanks also to the guys who helped you. Anthony was in the trike who saw you from the air and came to help you out. Thanks Ant ant the guys on the ground, we need each other vhpy
Panorama
Savannah S
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 am

Sh!t Rudi. :shock: :shock:

End goed als goed. Wat ons nie dood maak nie, maak ons slimmer en sterker. :wink:

Good for you om nie die runway te probeer maak nie. Kort van 27 is nie 'n goeie plek om te land nie, dus sal mens maklik probeer extend runway toe. Dit vat bolls om daar kort te land, spesifiek met so hot rod. (**)

Goeie les vir ons almal. Veld kan dalk jou aerie seermaak, maar jou lewe spaar.

Tricycle gear sou dalk 'n ander uitkoms gehad het. Dink die klein wielietjie het jou baie gehelp om die aerie van sy dak af te hou. :mrgreen:

Well done. =D* =D*
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
ZAZU
First solo

Postby ZAZU » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

The ANC rules ## ##

AVIATE
NAVIGATE
COMMUNICATE

Rudix, you did well, keeping control at all cost and flying the aircraft saved the day, this is a great lesson to all of us. A great Test pilot once said: If you have to crash, fly the aeroplane as far as possible into the crash...

Good job...
Last edited by ZAZU on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christo J/v Rensburg

"To be legal, you need the law;
To be just, you need a value system"
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:22 pm

??????????????????????????????//
RV9
DISH