ch-750 plans built project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

maxmart0
Found a flight school

ch-750 plans built project

Postby maxmart0 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Hello all, as long as I can remember I have wanted to take to the skies in an aircraft that I have self built. I finally ordered my plans for the Zenith ch-750, which arrived mid January. Sourcing materials has been a bit of a pain, and so far I have been unable to find a suitable supplier of 6061-T6 angles. I started by making formers, dies and special tools required for the construction. I placed a small order on sheets to get going, and have cut out and formed most of my ribs already. My first part I assembled and riveted was the rudder, for which I had most of the materials. As I write this, can turn around and see my first completed part in paint. I think I need to build some more, before I find myself running around the house with the rudder in hand making aeroplane sounds :lol: Here are a few pics of my progress.
Attachments
a3.jpg
a6.jpg
a5.jpg
a4.jpg
a2.jpg
a1.jpg
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: ch-750 plans built project

Postby Sukkelaar » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:17 pm

This is awesome and very inspiring. Please keep the posts of progress coming.

I would like to do this one day

Regards
Kyk Noord
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:05 am

Thank you very much Sukkelaar, I will do.

regards
Martin
cross_wind
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cross_wind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 am

Nice!!! I can appreciate what a project you are undertaking as building a kit 750 is a lot of work. I guess the advantage you have is if you make a mistake, you can manufacture a new part. vhpy I have to order one from Zenith. :evil: How long do you estimate it will take you (as opposed to my 650 hour estimate). I also see that you have opted to paint individual parts before final assembly - any particular reason for this? I am considering both options, but haven't made up my mind yet.
Cross_Wind

Challenger II LS ZU-FCP
Zenith CH 750 ZU-KICK ASS (20% Complete)
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

Hi MaxMartO
I am interested in your scratch build could you please send me a PM with your contact numbers and where are you situated
What you have allready done looks great.
Regards
Big Mac
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 pm

cross_wind wrote:Nice!!! I can appreciate what a project you are undertaking as building a kit 750 is a lot of work. I guess the advantage you have is if you make a mistake, you can manufacture a new part. vhpy I have to order one from Zenith. :evil: How long do you estimate it will take you (as opposed to my 650 hour estimate). I also see that you have opted to paint individual parts before final assembly - any particular reason for this? I am considering both options, but haven't made up my mind yet.
Hello crosswind,Thank you, I will be building a Savannah S kit in a month or so when it arrives, so my 750 project may be on backburner for a few months. The only reason I painted the rudder section, was because I wanted to see something completed. I also read on another forum, where a builder said he preferred to paint the parts bit by bit then the spray job wouldnt be so big at the end of the build. The rest I will do in primer, and then final paint when assembled.
regards Martin
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 am

Completed the horizontal stabilizer skeleton today. It's a good feeling to see the larger parts come together. The more I build, the more I like the design of the 750. I dont know why I wasn't doing this years ago :)
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 pm

The skinning of the horizontal stab had me finding words I hadnt used in years. I learned a lot for the effort tho.
Attachments
horizontal stab.jpg
an extra pair of hands would have been easier on this part
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Keith, sorry I seem to end up with my PM replies sitting in my outbox, but I cant see how to send them. In answer to your question, I use Alclad for my 6061-t6. I still need to find a supplier of extruded angle in 6061 -t6 or equivalent. PLEASE if anyone knows of a supplier, let me know. I can import for cheaper than Placo's price. i look forward to seeing your progress. regards martin
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 am

Hi Maxmart, the extruded ali is more difficult to source but last time I visited Alclad at Lanseria they did have some in stock. I'm sure that they can order some if you drop them a line.

Cheers

James
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 am

Hello James, much appreciated, they are the same people I used for the sheet. I was impressed by the trouble they went to in order to make sure the sheet reached me in the same condition. you dont want to start skinning areas with "pre-dinged" sheet :) I will give them a call.
regards
martin
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 am

The horizontal stab and elevator took a while to decipher from the drawings. I had to refer to the ch-701 assembly guide to make sense of them. The h/stab showed me that the skeleton has to be absolutely square before skinning, with the nose ribs all protruding the same distance from the spar. On my first attempt the tip ribs were a few mills shorter than the middle three. I pulled up the straps and realised I was wasting my time expecting the gaps to close. The solution was to remake form blocks and the two outside ribs. This time I only cleco'd the outside ribs when I had the whole assembly standing on the leading edge, with all nose ribs on the same plane. I would have skinned the elevator already, but unfortunately ran out of material. I guess its a good time to take stock of what I have already cut out and what still is required.
Attachments
elevator1.jpg
elevator2.jpg
Last edited by maxmart0 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 am

Looking good. Incidentally I have removed the odd ding with the back of a spoon but heard (or rather potentially believed someone else's bullsh*t story) that on for example a leading edge ding you can use a CO2 fire extinhuisher (hopefully without suffocating) to cool the ding so that it contracts and then springs back into its original position.
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
maxmart0
Found a flight school

Postby maxmart0 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Cheers James, cheers for the tip on the fire extinguisher.
cross_wind
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cross_wind » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 pm

maxmart0 wrote:The skinning of the horizontal stab had me finding words I hadnt used in years. I learned a lot for the effort tho.
:lol: :lol: I can't agree more - I almost tore my hair out (and threw a few tools against the wall). The problem is trying to get everything perfect, I have accepted that I am going to make mistakes and deal with them as I go. The stab looks great.
Cross_Wind

Challenger II LS ZU-FCP
Zenith CH 750 ZU-KICK ASS (20% Complete)