MY cheetah - ZU-DHH rebuild project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

MY cheetah - ZU-DHH rebuild project

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 pm

FIRST of all I want to Thank Larry at Rainbow airschool ladysmith in a BIG way. As often in life one person's misfortune is another's good luck and after Rainbow's good deal to get Larry in the air again with a new cheetah the ZU-DHH damaged airframe became Available. I was on Larry like a rash and I'm not sure he even thought about selling it yet at the point where I started making enquiries. Long story short we came to an amicable price which fitted my rather tiny budget and this is where the thanks come in. THAKS VERY much - there was no other way that I would ever have been able to buy one. I am forever indebted.
Now that I have something I can start repairing bit by bit and buy parts as I can afford. I'll update this thread as we go along but it will be a very slow process as I'll buy bit by bit as I can afford.
Job 1 was to move it from rainbow in springs to Petit and that was accomplished today. Yes it's not a perfect sight currently but fix it we will.
Job2 is to strip it to components so that everything can be inspected. Wil take lots of pics as that job starts.
WHOO HOO I'm very excited.
Did I say THANKS Larry???
Attachments
cheetahdhh.jpg
Last edited by Stephan van Tonder on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: MY cheetah - ZU-DHH rebuild project

Postby Rudix » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:FIRST of all I want to Thank Larry at Rainbow airschool ladysmith in a BIG way. As often in life one person's misfortune is another's good luck and after Rainbow's good deal to get Larry in the air again with a new cheetah the ZU-DHH damaged airframe became Available. I was on Larry like a rash and I'm not sure he even thought about selling it yet at the point where I started making enquiries. Long story short we came to an amicable price which fitted my rather tiny budget and this is where the thanks come in. THAKS VERY much - there was no other way that I would ever have been able to buy one. I am forever indebted.
Now that I have something I can start repairing bit by bit and buy parts as I can afford. I'll update this thread as we go along but it will be a very slow process as I'll buy bit by bit as I can afford.
Job 1 was to move it from rainbow in springs to Petit and that was accomplished today. Yes it's not a perfect sight currently but fix it we will.
Job2 is to strip it to components so that everything can be inspected. Wil take lots of pics as that job starts.
WHOO HOO I'm very excited.
Did I say THANKS Larry???

Congratulations Stephan! I know you will have lots of fun with the plane, rebuilding and flying (^^) (^^)

Enjoy (^^) (^^)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:56 am

Happy building

Cheers Oupa-G
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Go for it. If ever anyone deserved a Cheetah it is you chom.... ENJOY IT....

I assume that this will be first 618 Cheetah?
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks Guys - yes will be a 618 unless of course I can fall over a 912 for a bargain somewhere. I'm looking forward to turning it into an airplane again. Of course there is a lot of work but that has never scared me and that does not cost me money. Master wingbuilder Jenya will take care of the wings and I'll take care of the fuselage, engine and instruments. ZU-FEE is going to be minus 1 x enigma and MGL V10 radio...
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:56 am

Congrats with the project. vhpy (^^)
Now justput the wheel in the right place.
they look so much nicer as a tailwheel airy
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Miskiet
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Miskiet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:43 am

Baie Geluk Stephan! Ek is seker jy smile selfs in jou slaap! Jy wou mos nou lankal een hê, nou het jy hom!
Pietb
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Pietb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am

Baie Geluk Stephan met jou nuwe projek.
Soos alreeds genoem...jy verdien jou eie Cheetah meer as enig iemand anders !!!!
Lekker werk en hou ons op hoogte.
Cheers (^^) (^^)
Piet
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Geluk man kan sommer sien jy het jou passie gekry, geniet dit!
Flying feeds the soul!
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

We'll start stripping the weekend. Have basically found a 912s engine now I REALLY need to get the other airplane sold but the market seems absolutely dead.
Will buy lots of big ziplock bags and mark and tag as I strip.
Sideslip
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Sideslip » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Congrats Stephan.

Keep us updated on the progress.
Mike Gill
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Well done and good luck Stephan... Rainbow is on the right track with their new staff and marketing strategy... I'm sure they will be of the greatest assistance!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:01 am

I hope so although I have already asked for a quote on the wing tubes with no response at all.
But I'll pick up a phone just now and find out. Progress so far - Wings gone to Jenya and I have moved the project to where it will be worked on in the hangar. Potential engine removed from the other airframe. Now I just need to come up with the money to pay for it :(
But nobody seems to be buying currently so kinda stuck till I can sell the 618 and ZU-FEE..
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 am

Mike & Walter are up to the task... give them a call and I am sure they'll help you pronto.

Stick with the 618... 75hp I think and only a tad thirstier (the interim!) I think ROTAX should have canned the 582 and stuck with the 618. However they canned the 618 to make way for the 912UL and offered a spectrum of HP ranges!

I go my surprise yesterday and now have to go back using the P-PROP as the WARP hub has fatigue cracks.... An old problem and possibly incorrect torque application on the bolts!

JB
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 am

John Boucher wrote:Mike & Walter are up to the task... give them a call and I am sure they'll help you pronto.

Stick with the 618... 75hp I think and only a tad thirstier (the interim!) I think ROTAX should have canned the 582 and stuck with the 618. However they canned the 618 to make way for the 912UL and offered a spectrum of HP ranges!

I go my surprise yesterday and now have to go back using the P-PROP as the WARP hub has fatigue cracks.... An old problem and possibly incorrect torque application on the bolts!

JB
Same happend to my warp drive and also running n P Prop now. Not the first warp drive I know off that did that.
Flying feeds the soul!