Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Re: Thunderbird - BMW R1200 Engine

Postby Air Hog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:21 pm

At one stage I was discussing various options with my friend Andrew Hite, mentioning that it would be nice to have something to monitor the condition of my fuel filter. I previously had an almost incident when my fuel filter got blocked although it was only in the plane for 16 hours and want to prevent something like this from happening again. I saw he got a twinkle in his eye and then I knew, he will come up with a solution.
Today I received a mail from him which I found very interesting. It is a Differential Pressure Sensor. It can be calibrated so that Pilots using the MGL monitors can get a warning. I am attaching this file for others to have a look at. This specific one might not be the one that we are looking for but now we know there is stuff like this on the market.
Andrew is also looking at more affordable option of a pressure switch that can be calibrated so that it lights a warning lamp on the instrument panel when pressure gets too low.
I will keep you guys posted. This can be a life saver.

Fly safe
Ps: my stuff got delayed slightly and is only going to be here tomorrow, so it is full steam ahead next week.

The file is too big to upload: Here is some detail:
Example:
Water Filtration System A 100 PSI pump with a filter is installed to purify the water for drinking. If the downstream side in the system pressure drops to 80 PSI, the filter should be changed. With a 24VDC supply powering the sensor and a 4-20mA output signal selected, the sensor will be calibrated
with a 100 PSI line pressure and 20 PSI differential pressure. When the system is operating with a clean filter, the output signal will be 4mA. As the pressure decreases on the downstream, the output signal will increase. Once the downstream pressure has been reduced to 80 PSI, the sensor’s output signal will reach the full scale of 20mA. When connected to a controller, the operator understands when to replace the filter.

How It Works
1. The upstream pressure (commonly referred to as the line pressure or influent pressure) drives the media through the filter. A line is installed before the filter, as well as connected to the High side of the sensor.
2. The filter then removes contaminants from the media.
3. Next, the downstream pressure or effluent pressure, leads the media through the system with fewer contaminants than before. A line is installed on the Low side of the sensor in order to monitor the differential.
4. When the filter is free of contaminants, the system will measure 0 PSI differential in pressure. As the filter becomes clogged, the pressure on the downstream side reduces, which creates a greater differential between the High and Low sides. While using the differential pressure sensor, the unit will offer a linear output signal based on the differential pressure.
Filter.JPG
Differential presure sensor
Filter.JPG (20.54 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
If any one needs more info, e-mail/pm me your e-mail address and I will forward this to you.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Airhog if you run a MGL instrument and you have the EGT probes 50mm from the flange you will see a rise on the EGT temp if you are aware of the temps you run at specific power settings. As the fuel pressure drops you get a rise in temps. If you have the dual system installed as we do you can just switch across to the backup system. On my first BMW installation I had a blocked filter at 25 hrs , because the fuel recirculates all the junk in the tank goes and sits in the fuel filter. The pre-filter should catch this . On the Bosvark I replaced the pre-filter at 15 hrs before there was a pressure drop. The rise in EGT is most noticeable at full power when the mixture is richer and the fuel flow is maximum. Just some of the experiences we have had.

Cheers Oupa-G
TranSky
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby TranSky » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Airhog,

How is it going with your conversion? are you onto your PFA yet?

I'm very interested in your progress.

Thanks
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi Transky
A project at work kept me away from the Thunderbird project for about 3 months but things are starting to look good. Trevor Davies is busy with the engine mount at the moment. Trevor is very helpfull and also anxious to get the BMW Thunderbird in the air and by using him (the original designer of the Thunderbird) will make things a little bit easier at CAA. Hopefully, after this there will be more Thunderbirds flying with BMW motors soon.

All the other parts are ready for fitment. Have decided against the Belt redrive and have import the proper gearbox and Slipper clutch, all ready for fitment. The only thing left is the exhaust which we can only tackle once the engine is fitted. Target date for Proof flight is end of November.

Can't wait to get this baby in the air.

Safe Flying
Big Mac
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Air Hog
Is their progress on this project as I am very interested maybe I will follow suite with my thunderbird
Regards
Big Mac
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 am

Big Mac wrote:Hi Air Hog
Is their progress on this project as I am very interested maybe I will follow suite with my thunderbird
Regards
Big Mac
Hi Big Mac
The airframe is at Trevor Davies at the moment. The engine mount is a little bit trickey to get the Thrust line and C of G right. The Aeronautical engineers are meeting with Trevor this afternoon and hopefully will get the final approval this afternoon. Hold Thumps and things can start moving. Have to do it the right way and stay safe and unfortunately the first time development takes longer than I have expected. You guys will not have the same problem because these items will be available of the shelf/on order type of thing. The development work all done!!

I have all parts ready for fitment, should not be long now.

Actually, Trevor is also very excited about this project. Can give a new lease of life to the Thunderbird.
cap232
Pre flight checks done

Postby cap232 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Nice going AH, post some pics when you can. What happend to the rest of the bike?
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:21 pm

cap232 wrote:Nice going AH, post some pics when you can. What happend to the rest of the bike?
Aircraft in bits and pieces at the moment. Wings in my hanger, rest at Crosswind at Trevor Davies. Will get some pics when I start to re-assemble. Bought only the engine, bike was a write-off but engine OK, no damage except for a scratch on tappet cover.
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Getting some pictures this week and will post before weekend
Big Mac

Postby Big Mac » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi Air Hog
What pictures?
You are keeping us in suspence.Has Trevor been able to design a suitable mounting assembly for the BMW engine?
Regards
Big Mac
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Big Mac
Trevor has finalized the design and it was approved by Aeronautical Engineers. He is busy building. Getting some pictures Thursday night and hope to post Friday. As the BMW engine is heavier than the 582 we had to do some modifications. Trevor has shortened the boom and moved the mounting back to get the C of G right. I did not want extra weight in the tail to compensate. Unfortunately because this is the first mod for BMW, the design work takes long. Future conversions should be quick because all design work already done.
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:18 am

Here is some pictures, as you can see, it still some time to go. The boom is shortened some 110mm. Trevor is also very excited about the project.
DSCF0498_s.jpg
DSCF0498_s.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
DSCF0499_s.jpg
DSCF0499_s.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
DSCF0500_s.jpg
DSCF0500_s.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
DSCF0502_s.jpg
DSCF0502_s.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
DSCF0504_s.jpg
DSCF0504_s.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Big Mac

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 pm

HI Air Hog
Any progress
Regards
Big Mac
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Big Mac
Went to have a look on Saturday, everyting is now ready for the assembly stage. Trevor has ordered the brackets from the Engineering shop, it was promissed for Tuesday, the 15th. All stress analyses etc now complete and Aero Engineers happy with the design.
Trevor is also upgrading the front fork to the latest design. That was completed this last week and only needs to be fitted.
At last some progress. Once the engine is mounted, I just have to get the Exhaust fitted which is going to take a couple of days. Then it is the fitment of the Wiring loom and engine control unit and the prop. Then it is proofing flight time.
Not long now
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 am

Some progress, Sorry for the quality, Mobile pictures.

The engine brackets
25022011097.jpg
25022011097.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Engine bracket - Top
25022011099.jpg
25022011099.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Mount to Boom
25022011100.jpg
25022011100.jpg (26.86 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Picture of reinforcing insert in the boom
25022011102.jpg
25022011102.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 3721 times