Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Dirk & Martyn's RAVEN (2200 Jabiru): ZU-FFZ

Postby Maybe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:00 am

Hi Guys,

This is the Raven we are busy completing. (yes, its the one bought from James)
It has the Jabiru 2200 (85hp) motor installed and we are planning on using the Jabiru 60x42 prop.
IMG_0019%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg
Here is the Raven - As received from James
IMG_0019%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 10572 times

We've added an additional fuel outlet from the 65L tank (in case the current one might get a blockage). Also installed an extra electric fuelpump on the new line.

Dirk went into a loooong sorting out phase with all the wiring of instruments - but now everything is working vhpy

We had the front cowling sprayed to match the existing color....but as luck would have it....the guy didnt get the color right.......A beautiful off white color....but just not matching the rest of the plane! (we'll look into finishing the paint job just after test flights)

We got the Pitot and it was installed in the left wing.
Pitot.JPG
Pitot installation
Next job will be to take out the three smaller instrument panels and spray the back of the panel.
Instr Panel.JPG
We need to re-install the rudder after it was taken off to transport it to Rustenburg.

Busy with the seat design and luckily we have the help of a guy with some experience in the field. (hopefully it will be finished within 2 weeks or so)

Ok....
I will post some more pics as we continue.

Any sugestions or comments or tips are MORE than welcome.

All the best!!

(-)
Last edited by Maybe on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re: Dirk & Martyn's RAVEN (2200 Jabiru)

Postby Maybe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Ok, So the following are installed and ready to go:

StickGrips and PTT's
Grips installed.JPG
The door seals.....we are still battling with the seals at the rear end of the doors. Door won't close nicely with them installed...anyone with another suggestion on what we can use for the doorseals?
Doorseals.JPG
Brake lever and grip:
Brakes With Grips.JPG

Ok ...so when it comes to seatbelts....its a new story....can't slap on the old datsun 1400 belts....apparently CAA want them approved and tested and everything.....and the only registered approved guys are at Rand Airport....I saw their work...looks very professional....seatbelts come with test certificate, serial number and aircraft registration on the belts.

So what do we need?? a registration number.

For this week the mission is set: GET a registration number for this beauty......

We also got the oil for the first 25 hrs. Len from George suggested Shell's S100 oil . Engine is filled with oil, charged and we are getting ready to start her!!

Prop is also installed.....It is the Jabiru 60x42 prop. We have a ground clearence of 9 inches....according to Jabiru guys the minimum requirement is 4 inches....so we are well in the green.. vhpy
Prop Installed.JPG
Really looking forward now! Hopefully another month or so....and we'll be there!!!

Happy Flying!
Last edited by Maybe on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm

You might go and visit pro-aout rubber for some ideas on door seals. http://www.proautorubber.co.za/
Won't CAA accept car racing seatbelts?. if so then you can always go visit ATS racing - http://www.ats-motorsport.co.za/Product ... 1&CatID=25
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Try rubber extrusion co's or have a refrigeration mechanic sourse some soft 'D' door rubbers.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 pm

So.....at last we have a REGISTRATION NUMBER for the Jab powered RAVEN!!
The aerie will be known as:

ZU-FFZ

Well, the new registration number also allowed us to get the safetybelts done........here they are...CAA approved safety belts : (at a price of course...but they came with all the test certificates etc etc. )

Seatbelt 1.JPG

I am quite happy...!! Here they are as it'll be in the aerie:
Seatbelt 2.JPG

And then we got the Panel sorted out.....We thought of spraying it a light color.....but at the end settled on the carbon fibre look....and I like it!! (!!)
Panel 1.JPG

Here is the bigger picture:
Panel 2.JPG

I can't wait to see these little instruments at 8000 ft vhpy

We've also started the machine...and I must admit is sounds BEAUTIFUL (-)

Heres a pic:

Running engine.JPG
So what is left.....

a. We are waiting for the seats....hopefully next week.
b. The transponder is still to arrive....then we'll have to search for a spot to install it. (we are still in need of an altitude encoder and a transponder antenna)
c. Would like to put some kind of a manual lock mechanism on the brake lever, as to be able to use it as a "hand brake" as well.
d. Need to install tie-down attachment points to the wings......any tips on how and where? (you never know when you might need them )
e. We've found that the fuel valve is leaking fuel....so we'll have to take it out and find the problem or replace it.
f. Replace RPM sensor - After a long search...trying to source it from the local VDO agents....Len suggested I get it from rscomponents in jhb!! (the VDO agent wanted to import it from Germany.... :oops: )
g. I've seen that Rudix used a small shock-type door opener on his Raven....I'd really like to replace our "piece of blue wire" with a nice opener! (Rudix...more info and pics if you have pls?)
h. Get the aerie to the field in the hanger and install the wings!
i. Fly FLY FLY fly!!! 8) (!!)

(yes i know....i forgot about items j-z.....I'm sure they will pitch up along the way...but until then.....)

Happy flying

Martyn
(-)
Last edited by Maybe on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Dirk & Martyn's RAVEN (2200 Jabiru): ZU-FFZ

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:32 am

Man that is a hard registration to say.... almost as bad as one I use sometime FEX.
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:06 am

We'll get use to it vhpy

"Rustenburg traffic, FOXTROT FOXTROT ZULU is lining up 16 ...."

I can think of quite a couple of short discription for the FFZ

FFZ - Freaking Fast Zoomzoom
FFZ - Fun Flyer Zodiac/Raven
FFZ - For Fax Zakes
FFZ - Few and Far Zetween
FFZ - Fresh From a Zodiac (seeing that this one is a Raven, based on the Zodiac :-))

"Lanseria tower, this is FOXTROT FOXTROT ZULU, good morning...." :) :) :)

The registration will be allright.....it kind of grows on you!
Last edited by Maybe on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Some more PROGRESS.....

OR should i say....trouble with CAA....

After our registration number was issued to us and the guy at CAA has promised that our registration certificate will be posted to us....now three weeks later CAA says they can't register the aircraft as it don't appear on the "RAVEN exemption list". The registration number will stay ours as it was reserved for us, but the aircraft is not registered yet.

Seems like we will have to try a different route...it must be registered as a once off home built. Then all the neccessary load tests etc etc must be done.... Only problem is... I struggle to get hold of Clauss at the registration dept of CAA. I'll try get hold of him and email him....(on his answer machine he only leaves his email address).

And yes....without registration...we won't get authority for proving flights......so it seems to me CAA is going to delay us....once more. :|

NEVERTHELESS......Lets look at the bright side....and real life progress vhpy vhpy vhpy

The New headsets have arrived and I must say....they are pretty comfortable....and the sound quality is rather good. They are stereo sets with individual speaker volume control and the option of setting them to Mono if needed.

I've found the piece of alliminium I was looking for....so I could at last make the headsets storage plate. Used some heatshrink on the tips to protect the headsets from the metal when hanging them.
Heatsets & storage hook plate.JPG
Then our seats are coming along....they were made beautifully...although a little too thick at the back...a little thinner and the sitting position will be real comfortable.....
Seats.JPG
Then one of my "pet projects" on this plane.....I wanted to be able to lock the brakes in position.....for when you are parked somewhere....and even on start up when doing checks etc. So here it is....works pretty well....the lockplate are able to hang straight down out of the way if not in operation.
Manual Break Lock.JPG
Manual Break Lock.JPG (23.06 KiB) Viewed 10021 times

We need to get to the airfield and get those wings on....can't wait to see it! But...with CAA delaying us...there are not a lot of reason to rush it. We are planning to finish the complete interior by coming Saterday evening....then the week after.....we'll take it to the airfield. But for the actual proving flight date....you guys will have to ask the people at CAA!!

Nevermind CAA....We are real excited...

My son, Sebastian, is also ready to get this bird in the air!!! Looks like he will be getting REAL comfortable in the co-pilot seat next to his dad!
Dads son....ready for first flight.JPG

Till later.....HAPPY FLYING !!

(^^)
Last edited by Maybe on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 am

Hi Dirk/Martyn, the aircraft is looking good....you must be itching to fly! Where did you get the seats done?
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:27 am

Hi Scotsman....

The seats were done by a guy here in Rustenburg. They do car seats mainly, but have done seats for one or two of the Rustenburg homebuild aircrafts.

Unfortunately, with the seating position of the RAVEN ...you will want to make the backrest as thin as possible...that will allow maximum comfort at the end. So we'll have to get them a little thinner, But the basic look will stay!

It was/is quite difficult to get the guys to finish the seats(and other interior covering) as the aircraft can't be taken to their premises. And if the aircraft is not there to remind them about it....they tend to forget to continue :oops: But the new deadline is for Saturday.

We haven't receive the final bill for the seats....but it is NOT really going to be less expensive than the professionals at RandAirport or Wonderboom. Only thing is...we were in a catch 22.....Need seats to be able to do proving flights,to then be able to fly plane to wonderboom/rand....Rand/Wonderboom need to provide the seats??......so we've settled on the guys in Rustenburg. .....and except for the wait...they did good work.

We are MORE than over exited to get it flying....I think Dirk even more than me....(I still get to fly my trike while we are waiting vhpy )
Hopefully CAA won't keep us out of the air for tooo long.

Spoke to Clauss this morning......apparently Jason is the right guy....so have an appointment with him tommorrow morning.....Hope we'll get the registration sorted out!

Happy flying
Martyn
(-)
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I must be missing something. This is a raven - built to the normal raven spec/plan/kit standards. There are several on the register and it has a type cert. Why on earth can't it simply be registered that way.?. Why would you have to do the load test?.
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Here we go....the joy's of CAA. :lol:

Although Carl has started with the procedure (applied and did the tests etc) to get the Raven Type Approved....CAA never awarded type approval. So NO...the Raven is not type approved. <This was news to me as well.....we were under the impression that it was....and that registration would be a walk in the park :(> >

There were, how ever, a list of 15 or so Ravens that was exempted on type approval SACAR 24.01.2 (2)......unfortunately our Raven was not on that list. - So the first exemption we will be applying for is exemption from TYPE APPROVAL.

According to SACAR 24.01.2 (5) The aircraft must undergo Static Load Tests. So...even though the CAA has witnessed full load test on the RAVEN.....they still need an application from me because the aircraft is not type-approved....so there goes the second exemption we will be applying for.

Thus...exemption 1 R1030 + exemption 2 R1030 = additional money in CAA's pocket R2060 !! And this is for the application alone without any guarantees that exemption will be awarded!

But if you want to fly legally IT COSTS REAL MONEY!!!! ## ## ##

So....hopefully we will get this aerie in the air...legally...before the turn of the next century. :lol:

Happy Flying
(-)
ppakotze
Pre flight checks done

Postby ppakotze » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Nice plane, mighty short wings. Is this the clipped wing Raven?

Regards
P.
Wallaby
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Wallaby » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Nice plane, mighty short wings. Is this the clipped wing Raven?
:lol: :lol: :roll: :wink: :oops: :oops:

No, this is only the centre wing section that's part of the fuselage. The wing spars of each wing that's about 2,5m bolts onto this section. Doubt if this aerie will stay in the air with this "short" wings vhpy vhpy .

How's the registration coming along?
Life- I did it my way.....
The world is not enough!
- Manie Rossouw
Maybe
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Maybe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 am

Ok, the exemption applications was handed in on Wednesday last week, Yesterday I've received a mail from Jason at CAA that the Engineering board is busy reviewing it and he hopes to have us an answer before the end of this week!! :-)

Looking forward.....

(-)