Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Re: Savannah ZU-EJS

Postby Dusty Eagle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:41 am

Hi Rudi.

That looks great and a lot of fun as well.

If you have not done the exhaust yet, consider DE GRAAF exhaust systems. 012 379-2143

I was very unhappy with the attempt by the local performance guys in Edenvale so I took the fuselage [without wings ] to him in Hermanstadt, pretoria west and he built one in situ.

All I did was bend a 4mm metal rod which I attached to the prop hub and followed the bottom cowling contours to the fire wall and limited the distance to 25mm from that for movement and heat.

He was busy with Mike's Sling at the time, and when I collected mine::: Perfection. He makes one pipe with a sliding joint for movement and ease of removal.

I know its a big shlep to remove wings, but how good does one want the exhaust to be. Mike says there's a definite increase in power over the standard exhaust and I'm amazed at mine, see my posting on Bushbaby # 130.

Regards, NIco
nico
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Dusty Eagle wrote:Hi Rudi.

That looks great and a lot of fun as well.

If you have not done the exhaust yet, consider DE GRAAF exhaust systems. 012 379-2143

I was very unhappy with the attempt by the local performance guys in Edenvale so I took the fuselage [without wings ] to him in Hermanstadt, pretoria west and he built one in situ.

All I did was bend a 4mm metal rod which I attached to the prop hub and followed the bottom cowling contours to the fire wall and limited the distance to 25mm from that for movement and heat.

He was busy with Mike's Sling at the time, and when I collected mine::: Perfection. He makes one pipe with a sliding joint for movement and ease of removal.

I know its a big shlep to remove wings, but how good does one want the exhaust to be. Mike says there's a definite increase in power over the standard exhaust and I'm amazed at mine, see my posting on Bushbaby # 130.

Regards, NIco
Hi Nico,

Thanks for the advice, yes, I know the Van der Graaf guys do a good job. I did consider them but to be quite honest taking off the wings and transporting the fuz to them is not really an option, would waste a lot of time and then there is always the chance of damaging something during transport.

Having said that the exhaust must still be done but there are a few options.....

You BB is looking good!

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Cali
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Cali » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi Rudi.

Dit lyk mooi, ek hoop jy en Johan gaan baie gelukige ure in die lug spandeer.

Cheers

Cali
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Time for a progress update, I have been away the last two weekends, first to the EAA fly-in at Bethlehem and last weekend to the superb annual Bush Pilots Fly-in so I did not manage to do any work but Andre, Louwtjie (Sailor) and Johan did work on the plane last weekend.

Initially we wanted to complete the plane to fly it to the Bush Pilots Fly-in but as the time got nearer we decided that it was not worth rushing the job and getting a less than ideal result. It could also be dangerous flying an untested installation that far. Now we can do a decent job without the mad rush. On the flights to and back from the fly-in I marked a few bush strips that I want to revisit with the Savannah vhpy

Regulator and starter solenoid mounted

Funny how even small jobs end up taking lots of time and effort. The regulator and starter solenoid has now been mounted to the firewall. New power cables had to be made with lugs soldered on. To ensure a good earth we also installed additional earth straps not just depending on the metal frame of the plane.

Engine probe wires and starter power cables being routed.

The oil reservoir has also been installed, I will post a photo as soon as I have one. New brackets had to be made as the ones I had were not large enough. Andre's new TIG welder had a chance to prove how useful it is!

Now it is time to build a new exhaust system, a major job, currently I am looking for a person or company who would be prepared to come out to the flying field to do it on the plane, that way we can ensure that it is done professionally. Then the wiring must be completed to the instruments and the battery re-mounted. I have already removed the old battery from the tail of the aircraft along with lots of heavy copper cable.

Can't wait for the weekend to do some more work!
Last edited by Rudix on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
sailor
First solo

Postby sailor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi
Ek het ook gehelp werk terwyl jy rond gerits het vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:07 pm

sailor wrote:Hi
Ek het ook gehelp werk terwyl jy rond gerits het vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
Hi Sailor man!

Dankie! Ek skuld jou 'n paar koues (^^)

Hoe gaan dit met die Piet? Lyk my ek sal moet kom help :wink:

Sien jou seker die naweek,
Groete,
Rudi
sailor
First solo

Postby sailor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Moet nie te veel kommer oor die koues nie. Ek is besig om myself lekker in n aandeel in te werk. :) :)

Sien julle saterdag.
(^^) (^^)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 pm

sailor wrote:Moet nie te veel kommer oor die koues nie. Ek is besig om myself lekker in n aandeel in te werk. :) :)

Sien julle saterdag.
(^^) (^^)

Saak is reg vhpy Volgende jaar gaan land ons sommer tussen die blommetjies !

Groete!
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Time for a quick update on the work done the last 2 weekends! Thanks again to Sailor, Andre, Johan and the others who are always willing to help!

Oil cooler mounted (but not tightened in this photo). We had to make 2 brackets, still needed is an air duct to direct air onto and through the radiator. The water radiator sits just ahead and a bit higher than this one.

The oil reservoir mounted, we had to make a new upper bracket since the top needs to be further away from the firewall than the bottom. Andre's new TIG welder came in handy vhpy

The water expansion bottle in place. Next we need to mount the water radiator and connect that and the oil radiator piping.

We will also be tackling the instrument panel soon, the decision was made to redo it completely, there were just to many changes needed and we want to mount the radio (Icom A210) into the panel and not below it the way it is now. The new panel will be made from carbon fiber.

Things are going oh so slowly, but at least in the right direction. While all this is happening I still try and fly as much as possible vhpy There is also a new project on the horizon, more about that later, watch this space :roll:
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Rudix wrote: Oil cooler mounted (but not tightened in this photo). We had to make 2 brackets, still needed is an air duct to direct air onto and through the radiator. The water radiator sits just ahead and a bit higher than this one.
Dunno how much you need the oil cooling ducts, in the hottest of times I still have tape on the radiator (assuming you use the standard cowling).

Also maybe consider a plan for the 3 dzuz (each side) that hold the cowling to the firewall side. Maybe it's easier with S.Steel DZUZ but with the allie ones its a bugger. See pics for fastners that work..

Cheers Ian
Attachments
IMG00074-20090905-1534s.jpg
IMG00072-20090905-1533s.jpg
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Ian wrote:
Rudix wrote: Oil cooler mounted (but not tightened in this photo). We had to make 2 brackets, still needed is an air duct to direct air onto and through the radiator. The water radiator sits just ahead and a bit higher than this one.
Dunno how much you need the oil cooling ducts, in the hottest of times I still have tape on the radiator (assuming you use the standard cowling).

Also maybe consider a plan for the 3 dzuz (each side) that hold the cowling to the firewall side. Maybe it's easier with S.Steel DZUZ but with the allie ones its a bugger. See pics for fastners that work..

Cheers Ian
Hi Ian!

Thanks for the info on the oil cooler duct, I think I will leave it out for now, I have also found that I end up taping up the oil radiators on the Rotax engines. I can always add it later if there is a problem.

The fasteners looks like a good option, I must say I do not like the current setup! Will make a change.

I appreciate the advice, always better to learn from someone who "has been there" (^^)

Regards,
Rudi
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:37 am

And is she going to fly this Saturday?????????????????????????????????????????????????
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Ok so she did not flylast year BUT last Saturday The 20.02.10 she was flying.

When Johan phoned me and told me 2.2 years ago that he had bought a Savannah I was jelous.
I asked him what engine and was told a Subaru, sorry Johan I said that baby will never fly, that engine is only good for a boat anchor.
How true those words were, whoever sold it to him left the country and one person still here said it had flow nee boet jy het gelieg.

It has taken Rudi who came in as a partner a wee while to throw out the anchor and put in a Rattex.
Must say I am happy for you Johan & Rudi.
Attachments
Mielie Braai & Rhino 030.JPG
Mielie Braai & Rhino 030.JPG (56.13 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Congratulations Guys vhpy

Hope you have many FUN hours, amazing where you can land this aerie 8)
James Bentley
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby James Bentley » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 am

Wonderful news!

The Savannah is one of the most fun LSA's you can fly, you will love it vhpy vhpy

Hope to see you someday down here in KZN??

James
Airfield EVA'S FIELD
Home EVA'S FIELD
Work Pietermaritzburg