Savannah ZU-EJS

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Savannah ZU-EJS

Postby Rudix » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:05 am

Ok, this is not a complete build project but a re-engine and modification project. I will post more pictures as we progress.

Savannah ZU-EJS started live with a Subaru converted engine. I believe it flew with this engine but I never saw it fly like that. Apparently it flew ok, if a little underpowered till the propeller (Locally made ground adjustable) threw a blade on take-off. After replacing the prop with a wood prop the engine was never happy again. Initially it had a timing problem, probably caused by the vibration when the prop threw a blade and would not start at all.

The original engine installation.

With a lot of fiddling Alex Rudd finally managed to get it running again.

Alex getting it running.

Once the engine was running again a lot of experimentation followed with the prop but the engine/prop combination never produced enough power to fly the plane again, a sad state of affairs!

The plane being taxied around at Rhino Park.

Johan, the owner of the plane was getting very despondent, he wanted to fly, he still had to get his license so all this was just preventing him from getting airborne.

To be continued.....
Last edited by Rudix on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Savannah ZU-EJS

Postby Rudix » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:34 am

Ok, now I can hear the question "What do you have to do with this lot Mr Photographer?"

I have been watching all of this at a distance, actually not much of a distance after the plane moved from Kittyhawk into one of my hangars at Rhino Park. I even tried the plane on for size once!

See, my 1.95m fits nicely into the Savannah!

I have always considered the Savannah good value for money and a great fun plane, often when I was flying somewhere I looked down at a little bush strip or open piece of ground thinking I would love to land there, if only I had a nice STOL plane like a Savannah!

Well, I had a plan, one afternoon, over a few beers, Johan and myself made a deal, the Savannah will get a nice 0h 912EX and I will become a partner in the plane. Now the fun started!

The first thing to do was to rip out the Subaru (or "boat anchor" as Agent called it). We needed to find out if the engine mount on the plane was purpose build for the Subaru or if it was just modified from the original.

The plane with the Subaru removed, the ugly radiator scoop underneath the plane still needs to be removed at this point.

We were happy to see that the engine mount was the standard one with only two plates changed from the Rotax installation. All we had to do was replace the plates with one's suitable for a 912. Easier said than done....

The (very helpful) local agent did not have stock of these plates. We then decided to have the plates made locally but nowhere in the building instructions could I find a drawing or dimensions for the plates. I mailed the Savannah factory in Italy but they never replied! Eventually I managed to find the dimensions after looking at numerous photos and measuring the plates on a flying plane. With the help of Andre (who runs the workshop at Rhino Park) we finally managed to have 2 plates made, there was hope.

While all this was happening I went ahead and did a conversion onto the Savannah with Fred at Springs. It went well, it must be the easiest plane to fly I have ever flown. Now I was really excited, I want to fly the baby vhpy

Johan and myself decided we need to set a target to get the plane flying, the decision was made to try an get it ready for the annual "Bush Pilots Fly-inn" run by CC at Barberton. Maybe a bit ambitious but worth a try.

Other than the engine transplant we also needed to do some work on the instrument panel, we need to replace some of the engine instruments and install the IC-210 radio. A few small fixes, like a door not closing correctly also had to be done.

The instruments panel as it was. The "out of order" instruments will now work again as they were intended to be Rotax instruments from the factory. We will replace the instrument panel with a nice new one made out of carbon fiber.

To be continued.....
Last edited by Rudix on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:34 pm

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^) AWESOME.....

Congrats...

Toy box keeps grouwing.... ^*^^ ^*^^ ^*^^ ^*^^ ^*^^ ^*^^ ^*^^ I am not worthy.... :mrgreen:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Good luck and I hope your target is realised (Bush fly in), and if not it will still be worth it.

The Rotax makes it a super aerie !

Cheers Ian
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks George and Ian!

George, hey, you still have nicer toys in your toy box (^^)

Ian, still lots of work to do and then a few hours proving flight to be completed so I think Bush Pilot's is pushing it a bit but it will be close, if it is after at least it will be flying vhpy

A few more photos showing progress we made this weekend.

With the Help of Andre, Theo and "Sailor" we managed to match up the engine to the mounting plates and drill the holes. We had to ensure the height of the engine and the thrust lines were correct before final drilling of the plates.

Lowering the engine onto the mounting plates for the first time to see if everything would fit.

The team working on the engine, thanks for the help guys!!

Before we started installing the engine we also checked a few things on the engine to make sure all was well, we flushed the cooling system and opened the water pump to check for corrosion but fortunately all was well.

Almost in position, the 2 plates that caused all the trouble can be seen below the engine.

In the cowling! What a happy sight!

Now we still have lots of electrical connections to make. We need to mount the radiators and reroute some of the piping. The exhaust system must still be modified and mounted. Lots of small things to do and as you all know these small things take the most time.

To be continued.....
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 am

Nice progress !

Rudi, is that an 80 HP motor ?
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:52 am

Ian wrote:Nice progress !

Rudi, is that an 80 HP motor ?
Thanks Ian,

It is a 912EX, that is the 95hp version. The 912EX is an upgrade (New pistons for higher compression) for the normal 912, costs around $750 for the parts last time I looked.

Regards,
Rudi
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Rudi,
It is a pity I didn't know about the plates. I have a set. (Tooo late)
(^^) Vernon.
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 am

vernon11 wrote:Rudi,
It is a pity I didn't know about the plates. I have a set. (Tooo late)
(^^) Vernon.
Hi Vernon!

Wow, ok, that would have been great! Thanks for the offer (^^)

Hope we can fly a Savannah formation one of these days vhpy

Regards,
Rudi
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:35 pm

We managed to get lots of little things done this weekend.

The carbs were given a service since the engine stood for a while, it was inhibited but it is amazing how rubbers and o-rings can deteriorate, well, now the carbs are as good as new.

The engine is now also mounted in it's final position, we had to do a bit of work to get it perfect. The exhaust now needs to be done, the question is conventional solid pipes or flexible connections with the silencer mounted to the engine mount/airframe. The decision will be made early this week. We have now positioned the oil reservoir and regulator and connected the fuel lines.

The prop, a 3 blade Warp, also went on for the first time this weekend, this is starting to look like a plane!

Trying the prop on for the first time!

The electrics now need to be connected and the instruments checked, all small jobs that take a lot of time. We are still living in hope that we can be ready for the Bush Pilot's fly-in but safety cannot be compromised, if it is not done other wings will be used.

Burning the midnight oil, amazing how cold it can get after sunset this time of the year.

Regards,
Rudi
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Awesome. Looks GR8...

Working in hangar after dark is brrrrrrrrr. Funny how it goes from 40+ deg C to V.kk.n Koud in minutes.....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:09 am

It is also rather funny how quickly it go's from just doing something quickly at noon ## ## to suddenly it is after 8 and Mommy is getting a bit tense (**) (**)
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 am

Tailspin wrote:It is also rather funny how quickly it go's from just doing something quickly at noon ## ## to suddenly it is after 8 and Mommy is getting a bit tense (**) (**)

Yes, I seem to experience that "Time Warp" every weekend......
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:56 am

Rudix wrote:
Tailspin wrote:It is also rather funny how quickly it go's from just doing something quickly at noon ## ## to suddenly it is after 8 and Mommy is getting a bit tense (**) (**)

Yes, I seem to experience that "Time Warp" every weekend......
I get that funny look of Disbelief (**) when i say to My wifey i am just going to "QUICKLY" go and do something on the Plane.
And i assure her i will be back within the hour - I get the mumble of Yea Sure. ($$)
A person would swear i vanish for the whole day ^ ^ :?:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Giarc64
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Giarc64 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Hey Rudi.

the project is coming along beautifully. I hope she fires up 1st time and have lots of happy hours out of that 912

cheers
Craig